Weather out on the Aft Balcony @ night

I will be using an aft balcony the first week of October on the Vision heading out towards the Mexican Riviera. I imagine using it at night, drinking wine and doing absolutely nothing, but lounging with my DH.

Never been out in the open sea air...HOW COLD IS IT?

What I gather, the 3 ports are pretty hot and humid at this time, but what's the weather like going to and fro out in the ocean? What kind of jacket/sweater will I need, if I even need one?

Let's just say, I think LA, for me, (when I've been there) has been cold at night AND I'm so clueless about Cruising.

Any weather man/woman out there?:rolleyes:

You will love it! First and last day are a bit drafty but with a blanket wrapped around and some hot chocolate what's not to love. Prop your feet up and take some music to listen to and enjoy. We loved watching the wake and even talked my husband into letting me keep the door open on this cruise at night. We actually used our balcony more on that cruise than any other. We had almost all breakfasts out there. We would run up to the buffet and take our food down. It was just one of the most relaxing cruises we have had. Didn't know if I would like the three sea days (usually prefer port intensive cruises) but I found out why people like those now as I am getting older....relaxation. We also didn't hear surrounding noise on other balconies as much with the soothing noise of the wake. Great sunset and sunrise pictures. Don't miss a one. Hope you don't have a cigar smoker below you. We had to time our outings on the balcony but only on sea days around his smoke. That was a first also but it didn't ruin our cruise, we just had to hurry in a few times and close the door quick. Can't wait until they do something about smoking on balconies. All good things happen in time to those that wait.

I will be using an aft balcony the first week of October on the Vision heading out towards the Mexican Riviera. :rolleyes:

What room will you be in? We are getting on Oct 7th when you are getting off. My husband and I have room 8088 (originally had 8092 but lucked out and noticed that the corner became open just before final payment!) and my daughter and her new husband (getting married on Oct 7 before sailing!) are in 7158. It's all of our first time at the aft. I look forward to it!!

Stephanie :cool:

OH! I envy you! My DH and I will be sailing on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Vision. We have 8590 and I'm trying to get 8088 or 8588. If any of you CC would like to trade.........let me know! LOL

Bonnie

What room will you be in? We are getting on Oct 7th when you are getting off. My husband and I have room 8088 (originally had 8092 but lucked out and noticed that the corner became open just before final payment!) and my daughter and her new husband (getting married on Oct 7 before sailing!) are in 7158. It's all of our first time at the aft. I look forward to it!!

We're right smack in the middle. It's a long walk from the elevators, but I don't mind. I'd rather not hear the traffic around the elevators, if it's even possible.

The comment you made about the final payment: Does that mean that you can change rooms, before final payment? Is that how that works?

BTW: Congratulations on your new son-in-law.:)

You will love it! First and last day are a bit drafty but with a blanket wrapped around and some hot chocolate what's not to love. Prop your feet up and take some music to listen to and enjoy. We loved watching the wake and even talked my husband into letting me keep the door open on this cruise at night. We actually used our balcony more on that cruise than any other. We had almost all breakfasts out there. We would run up to the buffet and take our food down. It was just one of the most relaxing cruises we have had. Didn't know if I would like the three sea days (usually prefer port intensive cruises) but I found out why people like those now as I am getting older....relaxation. We also didn't hear surrounding noise on other balconies as much with the soothing noise of the wake. Great sunset and sunrise pictures. Don't miss a one. Hope you don't have a cigar smoker below you. We had to time our outings on the balcony but only on sea days around his smoke. That was a first also but it didn't ruin our cruise, we just had to hurry in a few times and close the door quick. Can't wait until they do something about smoking on balconies. All good things happen in time to those that wait.

:( I didn't even think about smokers...I'm a severe-three prescription-a-day-been-hospitalized-asthmatic! Smoke triggers my asthma. I can imagine balcony smokers that just want to relax too with their cig of choice.

But I have no choice. I don't take breathing for granted, and I sure do want to enjoy fresh, sea-breaze air out on my balcony. I breathe dust out where I live, so enjoying my balcony is something I'm looking forward to. If, my neighbor happens to be a smoker, how well do you think it would go, if I make a nice agreement where we can both share the sea air, without offending the other?;) Is it possible to smell and taste the smoke out on the balcony? Does it linger because of where we're at... the aft of the ship?

I'm sure everything will work out....

You know... a nice hot chocolate sounds good. Maybe one night I'll replace a glass of wine with a nice cup of cocoa.

Thanks!:rolleyes:

We had 8588 in March....I am officially spoiled!

The most amazing, relaxing balcony so far...

One thing I realized that you may find interesting... Quite often we would go up to the lido and see people sitting around the pool, trying to suntan, but having to wrap towels around themselves because it was quite windy and the wind was chilly...then off I'd walk down to our room to find my teenage daughter and her friend (who had their own inside cabin!) suntanning on my balcony because there was no wind and it was the most perfect spot on this ship to enjoy the sun!

You are gonna love it!

**Oh - the night time is so nice! I love seeing the moonlight on the wake....that will probably be your favorite time to enjoy that balcony!

The comment you made about the final payment: Does that mean that you can change rooms, before final payment? Is that how that works?

You can change rooms when/if you want to anytime up to final payment (and I think also up to 10 days before sailing - Correct me if I'm wrong on times) But why I think it came available was someone had it booked and then had to cancel out of the cruise and didn't want to lose any money. So be sure to be checking daily the week prior to final payment day as people can and will cancel (also check up to 5 days after final payment as TA can hold and make payments past the 'official' final day) if you want to snag that 'perfect' room (but any room on a cruise ship is better than any land based room!!)

Thanks for the wedding congrats. It should be a lot of fun and a new experience. We have 20 guests total sailing with us afterwards and about 13 non sailing guests coming aboard for the ceremony and reception (I feel sorry for them. I can't even imaging the feeling of being on a cruise ship, knowing it's leaving for adventure with friends and family and I'm going back to land after only a couple of hours! I know what it's like leaving after a week onboard and that's still hard to do! I'd stay on the ship for a month at a time if I could!)

Moonlit wakes - now THAT'S a visual picture!!! I'm going to go check on when the full moon is in October!

I had the same experience. The last day was way too windy to sit by the pool, but it was perfect on the balcony. Plenty of sun, no wind. Since there's no wind, it wasn't too chilly at night, and I get cold pretty easily. You'll love the aft balcony. My only issue was with noisy neighbors. They had friends over all the time. Part of my enjoyment of the balcony is to have the doors open and hear the waves. A lot of times, I just heard the neighbors. Still great...and have another booked next year.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
We're right smack in the middle. It's a long walk from the elevators, but I don't mind. I'd rather not hear the traffic around the elevators, if it's even possible.

I was looking at your posts to see where you were sailing (mainly because of Titanic and Poseidon and other comments in the thread) and happened to see this.

We were right above your cabin this past Christmas, in 8094 and absolutely loved it! I didn't find the walk to the elevators long at all, except when wearing high heels :rolleyes: . The weather for us was fabulous all but a couple of nights, we spent many hours out on that huge balcony; coffee in the morning, a glass of wine before dinner, just looking at the sea for a while before we went to bed.

There is a bit of vibration back there, the cabins may squeak a little more than others. So, if that sort of thing bothers you, take some ear plugs or a white noise machine.

Hi again!

The weather at night when we took this cruise before, which was also at the end of September beginning of October, was comfortable for us to sit on the balcony.

I only got chilly when I got a bit too much sun one day, and then you know how when you have a touch of sunburn your skin can catch a chill easier and is a bit sensitive? But I had a button-down blouse that was not even a heavy fabric and that was good enough, and I did not even button it.

Packing a hooded sweatshirt, a windbreaker, or a light cardigan should suffice as long as there is no storm in the area at the time (knock on wood, we want SUN!:) )

Lucky are those that have the balcony rooms on the end of the ship! The balconies are HUGE and get sun exposure for more of the day most of the time!

Take care!

:p

Hi again,

I just noticed the notes about the smoking, and wanted to chime in. We had a balcony on the Freedom that was directly below the smoking side of the pool deck, and when the ship was in port (not moving) was when we could smell the smoke if someone happened to be standing right above our room near the railing. Otherwise, it was not noticeable, and I am PICKY about this.

When the ship is moving the wind seems to clear out the smoke pretty well. I do not know about the back of the ship because I have not had a room back there, but as for the sides of the ship, we have always been in a balcony room and have only noticed smoke that one time, on the Freedom, when it was in a few of the ports.

I too have a breathing issue that is exascerbated by smoke, so I understand and I hope everything works out for you!

Take care!

:) ;) :)

I was looking at your posts to see where you were sailing (mainly because of Titanic and Poseidon and other comments in the thread) and happened to see this.

We were right above your cabin this past Christmas, in 8094 and absolutely loved it! I didn't find the walk to the elevators long at all, except when wearing high heels :rolleyes: . The weather for us was fabulous all but a couple of nights, we spent many hours out on that huge balcony; coffee in the morning, a glass of wine before dinner, just looking at the sea for a while before we went to bed.

There is a bit of vibration back there, the cabins may squeak a little more than others. So, if that sort of thing bothers you, take some ear plugs or a white noise machine.

Hi! I'm glad you loved it! We're in 7660 and sailing to the Mexican Riviera.

We didn't know anything about afts until after I joined CC. And I was delighted to know that people really seemed to enjoy them. I didn't even know that I was lucky to even get one. Sooo....I really don't need to fight Chairhogs at the pool, I can use my own balcony to sunbathe huh?

Thanks about the earplug reminder. I jot down notes from threads.

Yeah...I happen to be the one who let Blockbuster Hits rule my imagination about Cruise ships and Sharks and fought against the idea of cruising, until DH threatened to go by himself. I know I'm such a fool! I'm one of those who drives the speed limit.

After reading thread after thread, I think I'm driving DH crazy with so much info. He says nothing about it, because he knows that I'm finally excited about going.

I'm so excited!!! I can't wait. :D

Archived