Don't expect the pool to be filled in Feb?

sassafrass

I've often wondered whether there would be pool use during the winter months - I see one poster confirmed there is but I wonder if it makes a difference where you're sailing from? Our closest port is Galveston, and the weather in the winter in Texas is not too bad but you'd never dream of swimming in an un-heated pool. Even if the pool is filled on the ship, would anybody want to use it? (Maybe it warms up after a couple of days in warmer weather?)

The pools are usually emptied if you encounter rough seas...that is the only time I have ever seen the pools emptied...Happened on NCL in January...Pool water was sloshing on the deck and made for a very slippery deck, so they emptied it...

That is what a friend just told me but we are going to the Bahamas???

I sailed at the end of Jan/06 and the pools were drained on the way to San Juan because the water was too rough and kept spilling out of the pools.

By the time we hit St. Thomas and St. Martin, the water was much calmer and the pools were refilled.:p

I've often wondered whether there would be pool use during the winter months - I see one poster confirmed there is but I wonder if it makes a difference where you're sailing from? Our closest port is Galveston, and the weather in the winter in Texas is not too bad but you'd never dream of swimming in an un-heated pool. Even if the pool is filled on the ship, would anybody want to use it? (Maybe it warms up after a couple of days in warmer weather?)

The pools on Carnival ships are salt water. The pools are drained each evening and filled with filtered sea water each morning. The pool water temperature therefore will be appx the same as the sea water the ship is sailing through.

We have sailed from Galveston four times, all in November through February. The pools have been open every day. The water is very refreshing, even on the first morning.

Well, We went Feb 18-25, 07 and I have to say that when we left Galveston It was WAY too Cold fo me to swim. Even by 2 day of cruise, too chilly, as I wore my lightweight sweatshirt jacket around most of the day when I was on the decks (too much wind) But by the day 3, it was warmer and LOTS of swimsuits out!:cool:

I am always doing a cruise in Jan or Feb. I think I would remember if the pools were not filled.

I think they always fill the pools, just in case there are Canadians on board... as they will swim in unheated pools any time, unless of course the ice is fully formed....{grin}

Yeah cause we want to swim a bit! We are sailing out of Jacksonville, so I thought so.

Cruise ship pools are more like wading pools than swimming pools. They are very small and not very deep. Swimming from one end to the other should take 15 seconds, IF, you're a slow swimmer. Lots of playing and splashing, not a lot of swimming. You can swim in the ocean in the Bahamas, you will not believe the water color until you see it for yourself.

Dan

It warms up the further you go out. We went out of Galveston, NO, and Miami in February and the pools were open. I remember on one cruise, it was still a little chilly in the morning, but by lunchtime, a totally different story. It should be fine.

My friend assured me that on Bahamas cruises and all others for that matter that cruise in February that the pools were filled with BEER. Are you saying that this is not true??? This is the only reason I booked with carnival...as I heard that Royal Caribbeans' pools are filled with champagne, and I don’t like champagne.

Hey I wonder if Norwegian cruise lines pools are filled with Gin and tonic….. I will look into this…and find a different friend…I recommend you do the same J

Can I get my money back…is this covered by my travel insurance….

sorry, I am in a really wierd mood tonight.

Archived