Good place for Whale Watching?

Fire and Ice

We have 7 people cruising to Alaska a the beginning of September and want to take a whale watching tour. I've read posts regarding Juneau and Icy Strait Point being nice places to do so but most boats only hold a maximum of 6 people. Any other suggestions for these two locations? Is one better than the other?

We have 7 people cruising to Alaska a the beginning of September and want to take a whale watching tour. I've read posts regarding Juneau and Icy Strait Point being nice places to do so but most boats only hold a maximum of 6 people. Any other suggestions for these two locations? Is one better than the other?

Try Orca, but if you are going this September, you better hurry, I think most of them are already booked up.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

yes, the whales are still around. most don't start migrating until later. some humpbacks are up there all year round. females too old to mate and males too young. shouldn't have a problem getting a spot with orca enterprises. i did them last sept 19th. that's where i learned that same humpbacks are residents, don't migrate. only the boats that also do fishing charters are limited to 6 passengers. since orca only does whale watching they don't have that limit.

We just got home from a trip (last week) and did a whale watch with Harv and Marv in Juneau. We had an awesome time and saw several whales - one up close and personal! Our dinner partners booked through the cruise line and were on a boat with 100 plus people. We had only 5, including Jay (or Harv). Awesome time.

We just got home from a trip (last week) and did a whale watch with Harv and Marv in Juneau. We had an awesome time and saw several whales - one up close and personal! Our dinner partners booked through the cruise line and were on a boat with 100 plus people. We had only 5, including Jay (or Harv). Awesome time.

What cruise line?

hey drj011105

we did Harve & Marve on the Volendam the 24th. Great. We followed a rare bubble netting feeding group of 10-14 humpbacks for 2 hours while the ship excursion was with us for 20 mins then peeled off & did something else.

We are back up to Juneau this time with kids & grandkids on the 22nd but are using Orca Enterprises because there are 9 of us & Harv & Marv just take 6.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/aboutus2.html

We have done several over the years with the ship excursion out of Juneau and also did Icy Strait point this year and have always seen lots of humpbacks and sometimes orca. July & Aug is best but Sept is usually not bad.

Ruth

Fire and Ice,

This has been our experience...

2004 and 2005 we went with Orca/Captain Larry in Juneau - great excursion, saw whales, great crew and in 2005 on his new boat. Would not hesitate to go with him again.

Just last week we were on the Radiance of the Seas and had booked the whale watching excursion at Icy Strait through the ship. Even though you are on a much larger boat (more people - and ours was not full) it was the most amazing experience we have had. Saw many humpbacks together - which the crew said can be unusal for so many to be together - good pictures of the tails but the most awesome part was two of the whales breached - fully out of the water. Truly one of the most amazing things I have seen in our 3 trips to Alaska.

What ship will you be on? Have a wonderful cruise!

Linda

Humpbacks are in Alaska way past the cruise season, so plenty of excellent sighing opportunities. Sitka has there whale fest every year first week of November.

In Hoonah, I do, first suggest using an independent, since they are superior for longer tours- longer equals more whale viewing. :) There are a couple to consider. Ship tours are usually 2 hours, independents can be up to 4. :)

Both Hoonah and Juneau are great for humpbacks, just about 100% of the trips.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep an eye out for them from your cruise ship, too. Be sure to bring some binoculars. We spotted a few from our balcony and while at a couple of the restaurants (NCL Pearl 8/12/07).

We went with Orca Enterprises in Juneau and were very pleased. I tried to reserve with Harv and Marv first (I like the max. six passengers), but they weren't available. We didn't, however, have to jump up behind a bunch of people in order to see the whales. I understand the whale-watching excursions booked on board often have a few too many passengers.

Archived