Barcelona Hotel Question

KevinNYC

We need to book a hotel for next year in Barcelona for two nights before our transatlantic on the Connie to New York. We've been looking online at the Hotel Royal Ramblas. I've also seen it referred to simply as the Hotel Royal. It is right on Las Ramblas, just below the Plaza de Catalunya, which is right where we want to be.

If anyone is familiar with this hotel or, better yet, has actually stayed there, I'd be very grateful for honest opinions, impressions, the good or the (hopefully not) bad, etc. Thanks in advance........

-Kevin :D

We can't speak for this hotel but we stayed at the Hotel Majestic and it was wonderful. Somewhat pricey, but we received breakfast free each day and tickets for the hop on hop off bus as part of a package. I can't remember the price but it was around $200.00 per day, I think. We would stay there again for sure!

Faith

Hi - We stayed at the Continental Palacete and it was perfect. Beautiful little hotel a few blocks from Las Rambles. 24/7 little buffet/wine/coffee bar included in price. It was about 125 Euros last year. We found it on the Europe ports board and checked it out on tripadvisor.com also. Not a bad word about it.

Thanks all for the great suggestions for hotels -- I'll definitely look into all of them. Also thanks for the suggestions of posting this on the other boards -- didn't even think of that. It's not until September of '08, but my Type A personality sometimes gets the best of me. LOL!!

Cheers...........:D

We liked the Pulitzer -- I think it is a Clarion Hotel -- right off the Placa, 1/2 block off the mid part of the Plaza. I don't recall the price, but it was comparatively reasonable or I wouldn't have booked it. The 7 Doors (siete portals) restaurant down by the water front had the most incredible paella. I highly recommend it.

We need to book a hotel for next year in Barcelona for two nights before our transatlantic on the Connie to New York. We've been looking online at the Hotel Royal Ramblas. I've also seen it referred to simply as the Hotel Royal. It is right on Las Ramblas, just below the Plaza de Catalunya, which is right where we want to be.

If anyone is familiar with this hotel or, better yet, has actually stayed there, I'd be very grateful for honest opinions, impressions, the good or the (hopefully not) bad, etc. Thanks in advance........

-Kevin :D

Don't know if you've been to Barcelona before, but the Ramblas is a very busy area. This means a lot of noise at night...personally I wouldn't stay there, but as long as you are aware of the noise and happy with it, that's fine.

We arrived in Barcelona three days prior to the cruise and stayed two days after the cruise. Both times we were at the Continental Palacete and were very pleased with that hotel. Years ago it was a private residence and has only 19 rooms. The rooms are very small except if you get one of the deluxe suites. When we arrived, they upgraded us (at not charge) to one of those deluxe suites and it was fabulous. :p The next time, after the cruise, we were in a standard room which was fine......clean, comfortable, and quiet.

It was a little pricey, but I'd reccommend it anytime. ;)

We stayed at the Royal in May of this year, and loved it. It's pricy - almost $300 a night, but it's in a great location. The decor is modern, with huge picture windows looking onto the street action. Noise was not a problem.

HannaRay

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz, it was a very nice, modern, quiet, exceptionally clean and friendly hotel. A few blocks from Las Ramblas. When we were there we got an internet special of $99 a night (that is USD not Euros), no idea what the cost is now, 2 years later. It's also #6 hotel in Barcelona on TripAdvisor.

We need to book a hotel for next year in Barcelona for two nights before our transatlantic on the Connie to New York. We've been looking online at the Hotel Royal Ramblas.

Hi Kevin,

In '01 we spent 2 pre-cruise nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Colon.

It's in the Gothic Quarter, a very short 5 min. walk from the Ramblas.

It's on Avenida Catedral, right opposite the city cathedral. We had a

double room with cathedral view, which couldn't have been more spectacular. The location was superb. http://www.hotelcolon.es/eng/hotel/feature.asp

I looked up the Hotel Royal Ramblas, which also looks like a very nice hotel with updated bathrooms and more contemporary. The Colon is more "old world."

It's strictly a personal prefernce, but wise to check out options.;)

Laura

Thanks everyone for all the continued great suggestions and we fully intend to look into all of them! Clapping.gif

I went to school for a bit in Barcelona, but that was back in 1973 when I was just a young pup at the age of 16, so I'm really looking forward to the return a couple of days before we board the Constellation. I'm quite sure a lot has changed in that time, but I fondly remember our almost nightly ritual of strolling up and down Las Ramblas and soaking up the atmosphere. What great memories! And while some have mentioned noise (an excellent consideration, by the way), I live in midtown Manhattan just off Times Square, so noise? What noise? Yikes.gif Laugh.gif

And, might I add, the suggestion about where to get good paella is most welcome as well! If we do nothing else, we're gonna pig out on a nice big pan of authentic paella washed down by a big pitcher of sangria! Oink.gif

-Kevin

Archived