Is sharing a soda card stealing?

Podorama

No, Carnival allows you to do just that.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

I know that, (was just waiting.. ) so if they allow you to bring it on (and they do, and what defines a small quantity anyway.. length of cruise perhaps....) and I share the soda I brought on with someone who was going to buy a soda card, but because I gave them soda they now don't buy the card... is THAT stealing??

OR...

Lets say I bring on board soda as I am allowed to do (Pepsi) and my new friend has a soda card and only Coke is available, and he/she gets a Coke, then gives it to me and I give her my Pepsi, did either of us steal?

Ok the way I see it is I am going to buy my wife a soda card b/c she does not drink tea juices etc...

I do like tea juices etc...

If she buys a soda with a card and it is sitting between us I am going to have a drink. Its still her soda. Now I would not send her up there to buy me one a right after she just got her own. Nor would I have her buy me one and take it from her just to save cash.

Technically stealing?? I can see both sides of the arguement in a way. You have no arguement that your due a refund for not drinking enough soda b/c it says "unlimited" does not say This is for 12 sodas and you only had 8.

I plan on hauling in a 6 pack of Mt Dew b/c I have to have a caffinee fix 1st thing in the AM. Is this stealing since I didn't buy them from the ship?

Ricky

Hey not a problem at all. I agree stealing is stealing. However I don't equate this topic to stealing.

Sorry you don't see that. And yes I do sleep well thanks!

I agree that this is not stealing. It is cheating.

So the question then is that if Carnival feels that sharing is allowed, why would they even have the requirement that only the person whose name is on the card has to get the sodas? Is that just some random, gratuitous rule? The intent of the name on the card and the requirement that the person whose name is on the card get sodas is that the soda card and its products are intended for that single user. You can use semantics to justify it to yourself or to adhere to the letter but not the spirit of the rule, but it is still cheating the system.

I want to try this again!!

Lets say I bring on board soda as I am allowed to do (Pepsi) and my new friend has a soda card and only Coke is available, and he/she gets a Coke, then gives it to me and I give her my Pepsi, did either of us steal or cheat?

Lets say I bring on board soda as I am allowed to do (Pepsi) and my new friend has a soda card and only Coke is available, and he/she gets a Coke, then gives it to me and I give her my Pepsi, did either of us steal or cheat?

Why would your friend buy a soda card if Coke is the product available..and they like Pepsi:confused: If they just wanted to try out Pepsi sure it is OK.. but really what is the point of this question.. you make your friend pay for the card and you split it:( Same response it is not allowed one card per person.. Cheat:rolleyes:

OK, I'll bite on this one. I don't think stealing is ever justified. If you do, please give an example, which I think you have ready for us.

As to the soda card question. My family didn't share, we each got our own card. To me this is akin to one person buying a CD and burning a copy for all his/her friends or copying sheet music for others. Although I have done it in the past, I do feel guilty (but not justified.)

The only way stealing is justified in my opinion is when you are stealing BACK an item that was stolen from you.

If a man takes your jacket and you see the jacket with that man that you are POSITIVE stole your jacket because you saw him do it, then you have the right to take it back.

On the other hand if someone takes your jacket and you can't find the person that did it, it does NOT give you the right to go to the store and steal that jacket just because yours was stolen.

I agree that this is not stealing. It is cheating.

So the question then is that if Carnival feels that sharing is allowed, why would they even have the requirement that only the person whose name is on the card has to get the sodas? Is that just some random, gratuitous rule? The intent of the name on the card and the requirement that the person whose name is on the card get sodas is that the soda card and its products are intended for that single user. You can use semantics to justify it to yourself or to adhere to the letter but not the spirit of the rule, but it is still cheating the system.

I think it's the other way around. You are the one making it out to be more then it is. Despite you saying it is not stealing but now just cheating. Maybe you are trying to justify it in your mind.

Who knows maybe Carnival put your name on the card just incase it gets stolen or you loose it and somone else uses it.....now that would be stealing. Not the same as the card holder purchasing a soda and sharing.

Bought, ordered by cardholder, given by cardholder. Once card holder orders drink.......they can do whatever they want with it....

Really everyone does not see eye to eye on this subject. No need to get feathers ruffled. It won't change anything....

OK, so why is it stealing, because of the fine print in the agreement? Hmmmm,,, so when I buy a soda card, Carnival has determined the cost by making a estimate of how much soda the average person will drink and marking such up, thus that is the price of the card. OK, so If I use LESS then the amount of soda they estimated I would use, do they owe me a refund?

That is such an unbelievable dumb question. No if and and Butts the correct answer and the only answer is that you are stealing. The card is for one the name on the card and no one else. Can't you people get it through your stupid head?? When they passsing out brains where were you? Obviously you were not at the correct place.

Robb

More sophistry (unrelated arguments designed to cloud or confuse the issue). The point is that Carnival allows your friend to bring on Pepsi in limited quantities and consume it. Carnival sells you a card so that you as an individual can get an unlimited supply of Coke products from their bars and consume it. You can use all the smoke and mirrors you want, but to share those Coke products with anyone else whose name is not on the card is cheating the system. They don't police the system strongly, so people cheat the system all the time. If you can justify it to yourself with a clear conscience, then go ahead, but don't try to convince others that it isn't cheating.

That is such an unbelievable dumb question. No if and and Butts the correct answer and the only answer is that you are stealing. The card is for one the name on the card and no one else. Can't you people get it through your stupid head?? When they passsing out brains where were you? Obviously you were not at the correct place.

Robb

He was in the dining room in the evening wearing shorts and asking everyone he ran into if it was OK:p

NO, I pay a price to have as much as I want.(although only one serving per redemption) What I do with the product after it is turned over to me is MY business.

Option, let's see, the card is costly, the process to use the card is difficult, (Can't use it at several of the bars or with room service) the amount of product you get each time is small, (less then a can of soda, perhaps a half can at best) the reality for Carnival is not so much profits on the selling of soda, (which is pretty darn good I suspect) but it is TIP generation for the employees. The more money to the employees via tip generation the less of a wage that needs to be paid.

Hey! What of making kids go to a BAR to get their soda.. is that not immoral?

So I guess packing sodas in luggage and bringing them onboard is stealing as well :-)

If you can't afford to buy your sodas, maybe you should find another kind of vacation and quit being a cheapskate.

this is so ridiculous....

are some of you guys really such stiffys out there????

SAY THIS....

you went to the bar....and ordered a rum and coke...7.00....and they only charged you 3.50.... would you say OMGGGGG BARTENDER THIS IS CONSIDERED STEALING.... YOU DIDNT CHARGE ME THE FULL 7 DOLLARS....

no your gonna walk away say thank you and tip nice.. so you great treated right again....

this is so ridiculous....

are some of you guys really such stiffys out there????

SAY THIS....

you went to the bar....and ordered a rum and coke...7.00....and they only charged you 3.50.... would you say OMGGGGG BARTENDER THIS IS CONSIDERED STEALING.... YOU DIDNT CHARGE ME THE FULL 7 DOLLARS....

no your gonna walk away say thank you and tip nice.. so you great treated right again....

If I knew that the Bartender undercharged me I would say something

T

How many times do you get to share your soda card before it becomes stealing or cheating. MY DH and I are OK? What about me and my DH and my DD and my Fsil? How about if I invite the family next door to sit with us on the lido deck would it then be OK? That would be me, DH,DD,FSIL,new friend, new friends wife, and two kids. That's 8 people

Why not buy the bar a round?

Not following dress code is wrong

Smuggling is wrong

Soda card "sharing" is wrong.

All of these are against the rules you agree to when you board.

More importantly bending, breaking, ignoring, pretending to misunderstand simple societal rules teaches the generations watching you that they can do anything they want as long as they come up with a plausible (to them) justification.

It's really a shame.

Archived