Amsterdam to Alaska 2008/Cabin choice

bucsfan100

hello. i have just booked our first hal cruise on the amsterdam to alaska next june. before i confirm everything i wondered if anyone is familiar with cabins 6206-6210 on the verandah deck? also any info on the ship would be great!

thanks very much!

We just returned today:( from an Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam:D. We were in room 6156 (also on the verandah deck port side but a little more midship). The location and room were great!!!! Lido is two levels up and dinning room is 1 or 2 levels down (upper and lower). I will be writing a full review in the next few days but feel free to ask me more specific questions in the mean time.

Holly

thanks holly,

i can't wait to see your review! i have struggled over this decision for a while now, and hope i have made the right decision! we will have a wide variety of ages on the trip so i hope this ship offers something for all!

was your trip r/t out of seattle? i think that just sounds much easier and more budget friendly than anything else. also, i think glacier bay is a must see!

did you have children with you? did they have enough to do?

after i read your review i will probably have a million questions!!!!!

melissa

Melissa,

I think you made the right choice!!!! The ship is wonderful, staff are great and Alaska is not to be missed. Our cruise was RT out of Seattle but we went to Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay. We cruised HAL to AK 8 years ago out of Vancouver RT and got to go to Glacier Bay then. Given the choice, Glacier Bay would be my top pick (though I'm glad to have done Tracy Arm too). You can actually see the glaciers calving (too far away in TA).

The rooms are very nice with lots of storage. It was just my DH and I and we didn't use half of the drawers or shelves/hanging space in the closet. There is a full length red leather couch which may also be a hide a bed (?). The verandah has a chair and lounge chair and a small round table but is much deeper than anticipated---all in all quite roomy. There is a small fridge and a nice sized desk/makeup mirror, a DVD/CD player (in the category you are in you can borrow up to 3 DVD's a day at no charge--I believe they are $3 a piece otherwise). The bathroom has one sink and a small whirlpool tub and shower (being in a tub the shower was very roomy). The room can be partitioned off with 2 curtains---one between the bedroom and dressing area/bathroom and another between the bedroom/living area (where the couch and Flat Screen TV are).

We did not travel with our kids this time (25th Wedding Anniversary) but did 8 years ago and they LOVED IT! They were 6, 9 and 12 at the time. Lots of activities both organized and otherwise. There seemed to be about 200+ kids on this sailing (The ship's DJ said there were 80+ in the 13 to 17 age range). They all seemed to be having a great time and meeting other kids on the trip. I think there will always be kids on these summer cruises. Are you having them stay in your room or their own?

Our room steward was very good and seemed to clean our room (and re-stock ice, towels, etc) at least twice a day! The Dinning room staff and Lido staff are also great and if you meet Sunny or Superman in the Lido Dinning area, they will ask your name once and remember it the rest of the cruise! The food was very good and there is a large variety (I seem to remember that there was a kids menu when we traveled with our kids). All breads and pasteries are baked on board (with the exception of hot dog and hamburger buns). Afternoons there is tea with wonderful pastries and scones, either in the Dinning Room or one of the lounge areas. You WILL NOT go hungry and either will your kids!! From where your room is, you are near the back of the ship and that is where the food is!!

The ship is very elegant---lots of artwork and lovely lounge areas.

I promise to write a review when I get my thoughts organized....I kept a daily log as we traveled but it is very detailed (like what we ate and what movies we watched).

Again, as you think of specific questions, just ask.:)

Holly

Archived