Real Ice Cream Available?

DocF

My DW and I will be on the Glory in a few weeks. We were discussing if real ice cream might be available for ice cream cones and such. Soft serve is .............................. well, soft serve.:confused:

Doc:)

The only place hand dipped ice cream is available is in the dining room and the chocolate buffet (if offered on your cruise).

Yes, you can get ice cream and/or sorbet in the dining room each night. If you've got kids, they have an ice cream sundae party the first night with "real" chocolate and vanilla ice cream. The party is for the whole family.

Yes, you can get ice cream and/or sorbet in the dining room each night. If you've got kids, they have an ice cream sundae party the first night with "real" chocolate and vanilla ice cream. The party is for the whole family.

Yes, I forgot about the family sundae party.

I don't think that was necessary. I've seen a lot stupider questions like 27 million on jeans. If people just read their boarding info or the stuff on the Carnival website this site wouldn't exist! However, I don't belive ice cream is covered in the Carnival documents :D

they only have that soft serve mix and frozen yogurt on lido, but i know the dr has ice cream b/c my kids always get it. i know (from on here) that the coffee bars have milkshakes, but i am not sure if they also offer the ice cream which they use to make them.

If I recall correctly ( and I may not) I thought the coffe bar, or one of the little specialty dessert bars had some "scoop-n-serve" ice cream available(at an extra charge). The main dining room always made available a scoop of vanilla & choc syrup for me if I didnt care to try the gourmet desserts.

If I recall correctly ( and I may not) I thought the coffe bar, or one of the little specialty dessert bars had some "scoop-n-serve" ice cream available(at an extra charge). The main dining room always made available a scoop of vanilla & choc syrup for me if I didnt care to try the gourmet desserts.

I thought the same thing, but I could not remember the name of the place. I also thought they made specialty coffee drinks too. Of course there is a charge for these items.

they only have that soft serve mix and frozen yogurt on lido, but i know the dr has ice cream b/c my kids always get it. i know (from on here) that the coffee bars have milkshakes, but i am not sure if they also offer the ice cream which they use to make them.

Here's a tip I learned on a sailing early last year, and I tend to repeat it on each cruise. I, too, prefer dipped icecream over softserve. The specialty coffee shop does have the dipped version, but it is not on the menu as a stand-alone item. I also don't know what brand CCL uses, but it is very good. Just do the following: order a vanilla or chocolate shake, and request they "hold the milk and hold the blending". What you get is a drink cup filled with scoops of icecream that you can eat with a spoon as you walk around the deck. You pay the price of the shake (very reasonable) and still get exactly what you wanted, but thought might not be available.:)

I too prefer the hand dipped ice cream and it's a very legitimate question, not silly at all. That's what this site is for and it's wonderful how quickly one can get answers to the most basic of questions and even a gazillion views on the same thing.

It does my old heart good to get legit responses to a real question. It makes my old heart go pitty pat to think that the jerk has been banned. I'm a moderator on a technical board and we most assuredly will ban those who are out of line.

Oh yes, DW is pleased to know she can get an ice cream cone if she needs one.

Doc:D

Who buy the hard kind of ice cream any more? We alway go to Dairy Queen type places. I wouldn't want the hard stuff especially for a cone.

There is a local ice cream place here in the Cincinnati area called Graeter's and it is MUCH better than Dairy Queen. Oprah even said that you haven't had ice cream until you've had Graeter's. If you ever want to experience some of the best ice cream you've ever had, you can order it from their website. :D

I MUCH prefer the hard stuff.

Go to Carvel's for breakfast, Baskin-Robbins for lunch and Haagen-Dazs for dinner.:D Have dessert at home - Edy's. Ben & Jerry's for a midnight snack.

Are there any ice cream lover's cruises?? HAL has great ice cream stations with lots of toppings - several different ice creams and even liqueur toppings - or cones if you prefer.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "Ice Cream Sundae Bar" that is available every afternoon at sea on the Spirit Class Ships (I have experienced it twice on the Legend). It is on the starboard side aft, by the pool. They have all the fixings for Sundaes and definitely have scooped, real ice cream...as well as soft serve. And it is "FREE".

So there is real Ice Cream, and free, on some ships.....

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "Ice Cream Sundae Bar" that is available every afternoon at sea on the Spirit Class Ships (I have experienced it twice on the Legend). It is on the starboard side aft, by the pool. They have all the fixings for Sundaes and definitely have scooped, real ice cream...as well as soft serve. And it is "FREE".

Thanks for this. I can't believe I missed seeing that when I've checked out the deck plans for the Spirit! Will be aboard in about 3 weeks and will definitely have to visit! To think I might have missed out on an ice cream sundae!! :eek:

If the ice cream on the ships docking out of Galveston seem really extra good then there is a good chance that it is Blue Bell.:D We have traveled all over the United States and nothing compares. We have to have a little Blue Bell whenever we visit Texas!!!:p

Blue Bell rules! My dh wont eat anything but and will pay nearly $6 for a half gallon. My house has 5 containers right now! You can actually buy it online but with shipping it is expensive.....$80 for 4 half gallons. Cant wait for them to come out with the Blackforest Cake again!

Oh, I love this thread because I would never had thought to go to the specialty coffee place for shakes. My kids thank you OP!

Actually, the Paradise has an ice cream parlor.

I went on the Paradise back in '02 and their ice cream parlor had a wide variety of ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sorbet. They even had a snow cone machine and a milkshake mixer.

Idk if they still have it, seeing as how I heard they changed the Paradise quite a bit since then, but they use to. (However, the pizza bar was super small)

Now a days, on most ships, it's a machine, and the flavors the dining rooms have.

I am ashamed that I had forgotten such a wonderful treat when we went to Hawaii. Thank you for reminding all of us cruisers that were probably there every day.

The Ice Cream Sundae bar on the Spirit Class ships is usually on Sea Days betweem 3:00 and 5:00. Most folks load the toppings on the soft-serve not ralizing there is hand scooped available. The crew member behind the counter has Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry and Butter Pecan Ice Cream, just hand over a bowl and tell him which one (or all you'd like). They also have Hot Fudge/Chocolate sauce and cans of whipping cream back there also .... just ask! I look foward to a bowl of Butter Pecan with Caramel syrup, crushed Butterfingers and whipped cream ................ yum! Only 62 more days til my next one!

Archived