Segway tours

CMM

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there who can comment on Segway availability around El Morro?

I found a web site, but would like to hear if this is recommended by anyone as reputable and if you can do it without reservations etc

We leave in 12 days!!!!

Thanks

I found the link to the Segway tour in Puerto Rico. That tour looks more promising and better than the one in St. Maarten, so I will probably do that in Puerto Rico instead of St. Maarten. Thanks again for telling me about the Segway, I didn't even know that there was one in Puerto Rico.

For any others, the link is : http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

Yes, www.segwaytourspr.com is the website I found.

If we end up doing this I will report back.

Thanks. I have a problem, Freedom gets in at 3:00, so I can't take the full 2 hour tour like I want to, so I will have to settle with the 45 minute tour,which is fine. Then I will have time to shop for about an hour before dinner. Thanks for reporting back.

If you've never ridden a Segway, let me warn you that it's a little harder than it looks. You control the speed with your feet and body. Leaning forward sends you in that direction, leaning back slows you down, crouching back like you're trying to sit down will drastically slow you down. There is no stop or park. Balance is KEY.

I had fun but my mother (she's almost 60) found it to be a little draining. The day after our excursion I felt it most in some leg muscles that don't get as much of a workout as they should. :)

Good luck and enjoy your excursion!

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody who has taken this tour in Puerto Rico, can somebody verify if you pay cash when you get there, or credit card upfront. I would rather pay cash. Thanks. I just booked it for 2 of my 12 group members (one of them was me and the other is my aunt). Looks fun, we are doing it when Freedom gets in at 4:00, the 45 minute one so we can be back around 6:15, 6:30 for dinner.

I haven't done a Segway tour in the Caribbean, but DD (12 years old) and I did one a few weeks ago in Anchorage. It was a blast! I'm 49 and have arthritis in my spine so needed something that wasn't too taxing--it was perfect! We found them easy to learn and control and DD considered it the number one highlight of our two-week vacation. :)

Have fun!!

Jayne

I just got back from my cruise last night and wanted to update my experience since I was the original OP trying to get info. on Segways in San Juan.

Long story short- I DO NOT recommend the Segway tour in San Juan. I had emailed Jose the owner a number of times and booked it at a time that he said was good . He double booked this tour. His brother was the one there and right off the bat knew it was double booked, but he tried to turn it around on us saying we changed the reservations etc. When I produced the emails I had documenting our reservations, he tried to blame it on his brother the owner. I had given him my cell phone # so he could have updated us with any changes. When I asked him to call his brother he said he was on a train.

So we ended up leaving very annoyed as it was brutally hot and we had arrived very early as we did not want to be late. He arrived at the exact time of the tour to start to unload all the equipment etc. Our friends were upset with us for arranging this tour.

I guess I should have know that this was going to be a shady operation when I couldn't get any information from this great site! Most likely posting the question here was what resulted ultimatley in the double booking!

Our cruise was great, but let me tell you this experience was the one true negative of the whole trip!

Enjoy San Juan it is a beautiful historic city to be enjoyed without the use of this Segway company!

I booked 2 people for that in October while on the Freedom at 4:00. We booked the 45 minute tour. I didn't have to give any credit cards or anything, just pay there. So I would be disappointed if I don't get to do it, but not that disappointed. I simply will tour the fort if it fails, since that is where we meet.

Thanks for the review.

CMM,

Sorry to hear this tour didn't work out for you. After reading your OP I booked for my family of 4 for March 3rd for a 45 min tour.

I will watch this site and see how others fare. Maybe they will get things more organized before March. How many Segways do these guys have??

He had only 5 segways and one was for the guide. There were 4 in our group and 3 others with confirmed tours at the same time.

Like I said he was rather shady. It was obvious that he intentionally doubled booked to insure he had business. And his insistence that one of us had a 2 hour tour and the other the 45 minute tour made no sense as they were both for the same time anyway. Everyone else we encountered were great in San Juan.

It is a long, steep, hot walk uphill to El Moro. My plans (at the suggestion of many others at CC) was to take a cab there and walk back. However the various cab drivers, toursim folks along the way kept saying we were almost there. I think they may be accustomed to the high heat/ humidity better than we were. By the time we reached the entrance to the forte we were very hot & tired. Then we waited out in the sun for our designated tour. It was not a comfortable wait.

My suggestion is to take a cab to tour the forte. The cab driver on the return was so kind and friendly. We were headed to lunch and he suggested we walk as it wasn't worth the cab fair. We explained we wanted the cab anyway and told us what had happened. He jokingly offered to run down the guy on the Segway!

CMM,

Thank-you for the response. It sounds like these guys haven't really figured out how to run a tour business. It will be interesting to follow the Segway thread on this board. If they don't respect their reservations, they will not get much support from CC members.

At least if it doesn't work out for me I can say I had fair warning. We have always wanted to try this but until now my daughter wasn't heavy enough (min. 90 lbs) so I'll keep my reservation and cross my fingers.

Anybody else who takes this tour please let us all know how it goes. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back last night from my 10/7/2007 Freedom cruise. It was awesome. The Freedom got into San Juan early, around 2:30 we were allowed off. We met after my aunts massage at 3:00, and then 3:15 we were off. My tour with my aunt was for 4:00. We got off and got a taxi to El Morro and were there by 3:30. I saw Jose with the Segways and approached him. He confirmed at said come back at 4:00. We just walked around up there, my grandma and cousin went to the fort. At 4:00, we started the training. I thought it was easy to drive. I had the more modern one, where you push the whole steering wheel to the sides to turn. At about 4:20 we where off. There was supposed to be another couple coming, but they never showed up. We went down this hill, saw a few things, and took some pictures. Went around, but we didn't go to far from where we took off. At about 5:00 or a little after, we got back. The segway part was fun, but we didn't get to so that much. It was nice though. We paid and then went pack to the ship. At the pier, I ran up the hill a little to get a shirt. We got back on the ship at 5:30, and then made it for dinner a little after 6:00.

They are fun to ride, but not much tour in the 45 minute tour. I would give it about 7.5/10.

Archived