May/June 2008 Flying to Lisbon/From Amsterdam - recommendations?

VernaF7449

Hi all- right now I am looking for the "least-horrible" flights to Lisbon May 19 or 20 2008 (Cruise leaves May 23) returning from Amsterdam on afternoon of June 3 (ship arrives in Amsterdam morning of June 3). I live in Western Massachusetts, so BOS, BDL, JFK and EWR are possibilites for US departures.

What I want to do is maximize my comfort level and minimize my travel time - nonstops or one stop. I do not really care about IFE (I normally bring my Ipod , read and sleep) and food is not a big deal though would be a nice extra. I have checked and here are some of the possbilities and my thoughts on them:

1. AA (or BA) BOS to Heathrow, then BA to LIS, return AMS to Heathrow via BA, return to BOS via AA or BA (AA and BA options pretty much the same from JFK)

Pros - I have AA elite status, so possibility of getting upgrade is there. This is not a factor with BA. BA has world traveller plus class, for a more affordable "upgrade" to London.

Cons - have to go through Heathrow, also if i take the BOS night flight on AA to Heathrow there is a several hour layover until the Lisbon flight in the afternoon (There is a TAP flight I could probably take to Lisbon - would that be too much of a bother since TAP not part of oneworld alliance?)

2. CO has nonstop EWR-LIS and AMS to EWR. I could take a short flight from BDL, but driving down to EWR would probably take as much time.

Pros -nonstop both ways

Con - EWR to LIS is on 757 - I have heard these are being reconfigured, but I am less than thrilled with going on 757 for an overnight flight. Would it be worth getting business/first class?

3. NWA just started flights from BDL to AMS last month. Could connect to KLM flight Amsterdam-Lisbon. I can also do similar flights from BOS to and from Amsterdam

Pros - From BDL only 45 min drive to airport, nonstop return from AMS

Cons - BDL - New flight, will it be around next year? Also flights to/from BDL are on 757s. The BOS to AMS are are A330s I think.

There are other flights as well - Lufthansa/United from Boston, for example, with connections in BOS-FRA (MUC) - LIS, then AMS-IAD-BOS

I am leaning towards the CO nonstops, though I am less than thrilled about the 757. My next choice would be AA to Heathrow, for the possibility of getting an upgrade, but then I would have to deal with Heathrow and a very long layover before the Lisbon fight.

Cost is not an issue, am not shopping around for the cheapest (It looks like that would be BA economy) but what will work best for me.

Am I missing some do-able choices? I know it is a personal choice, but I wanted to get an idea from those with more experience. I normally do not obsess like this.

Thanks in advance.

I'ma big believer in non-stop flights, so I was definately take the Northworst non-stop back from AMS. Since there ain't any non-stops from Boston to Lisboa, it depends on preferences. I'd take the train connection to Newark and CO out fo there -- but, like I said, I liek non-stop flights. This is particualrly true when going as delayed luggage on the way home is only a minor problem.

A few additonal comments:

Business classintra-Europe on KLM is not worht the price. Yoou get a standard cattle car seat in a 3-3 configuration-- with the middle seat blocked. Free newspaper and booze and they hang up your coat for you.

If you can get a cheap flight to/from another European city, it might well be worthwhile to do that and take one of the low cost airlines. They vary greatly in quality and luggage allowance, but some are excellent carriers (AirBerlin and Vueling in particular are grerat).

Paul

Hi all- right now I am looking for the "least-horrible" flights to Lisbon May 19 or 20 2008 (Cruise leaves May 23) returning from Amsterdam on afternoon of June 3 (ship arrives in Amsterdam morning of June 3). I live in Western Massachusetts, so BOS, BDL, JFK and EWR are possibilites for US departures.

What I want to do is maximize my comfort level and minimize my travel time - nonstops or one stop. I do not really care about IFE (I normally bring my Ipod , read and sleep) and food is not a big deal though would be a nice extra. I have checked and here are some of the possbilities and my thoughts on them:

1. AA (or BA) BOS to Heathrow, then BA to LIS, return AMS to Heathrow via BA, return to BOS via AA or BA (AA and BA options pretty much the same from JFK)

Pros - I have AA elite status, so possibility of getting upgrade is there. This is not a factor with BA. BA has world traveller plus class, for a more affordable "upgrade" to London.

Cons - have to go through Heathrow, also if i take the BOS night flight on AA to Heathrow there is a several hour layover until the Lisbon flight in the afternoon (There is a TAP flight I could probably take to Lisbon - would that be too much of a bother since TAP not part of oneworld alliance?)

Couple of things about the AA/BA flights. I am a VERY loyal AA flyer-EXP status. So my first choice would naturally be the AA flights.

There is almost NO possibility of getting an upgrade on a BOS/LHR flight as a freebie. VIP, miles + co-pay only. Op ups (freebie) are almost impossible as the planes generally fly full. Coach would have to be VERY overbooked to get an op-up.

And the real biggie for me at least-you get NO AA miles on a BA flight across the pond. You could get BA miles and credit them to Alaska, Qantas or even BA. But if you are an AA elite, a few miles in an "orphan account" certainly won't help for free tickets or upgrades.

As far as taking the TAP flight to avoid the layover at LHR, you would most likely have to claim and recheck your luggage, as well as going through customs IF you can't get the luggage through checked. Would probably be more hassle than it was worth.

US Air flies BOS/PHL, then nonstop to LIS and on the return, AMS/PHL, then the short hopper to BOS. Outbound, the international flight is 757. But the inbound from AMS is 767. US Air is also the cheapest for your dates.

Aer Lingus also flies out of BOS to LIS, via Dublin. Dublin is a nice, small airport AND on the return to the USA, you clear US immigration in Ireland. Still have to drag the luggage through customs, but avoid immigration at Logan. A330 and A320 equipment. You also earn AA miles. Little less than 2 hours in Dublin on the outbound-just enough time to get to their FABULOUS duty free-Piper Heidseick champagne at BARGAIN prices.

FORGET NORTHWORST. You may not get off the ground at all if the last two months are any indication of the future.

Thanks Greatam - yes I would not expect a freebie upgrade on AA BOS/LHR, last year I got the upgrade on BOS/LHR on my way to Spain with miles/$ and it was worth it (though it was not confirmed until a couple of days before). And I am sure I can entertain myself for a few hours in Heathrow until my LHR-LIS flight (did someone say shopping???) - maybe I can even experience the new terminal. I really do not hate Heathrow (only been through it a few times the last few years with no problems) it was more the LOOONNNNG layover. The AA miles would be great too.

I forgot about Aer Lingus - I'll check that out. I also saw the US air flights and i'll look at them again too. It's the 757 I am less thrilled about for a transatlantic flight. That is my one hesitation about EWR to LIS on CO.

I still have a while to decide. But if I go AA I should get my name on the upgrade list ASAP

If you want "less horrible", starting from Boston gives you one alternative which (at a cost) greatly ameliorates the worst part of your trip. Take a day flight on either AA or BA to London, then stay overnight (or more) in London before going on to Lisbon. The Boston-London flight is an absolute nightmare (if you'll pardon the word) if you do it overnight, because the flying time is only about 5 hours but it takes all night. So you get to London at the crack of dawn, when your body clock is screaming for sleep, you've had none during the short flight, and you have to deal with immigration, customs and a whole new day.

World Traveller Plus is a great way of buying half an upgrade. From the US, it's often available at a very low supplement above the lowest economy fare. Watch for the sales that come and go. At the rates you pay in the US, it can be an absolute bargain.

If you are lucky, your chances of getting an operational (freebie) upgrade from WT+ to Club World (business class - with horizontal flat beds) are usually much better than the chances of getting an op-up from World Traveller (economy - and that will usually only be to WT+). This is because the WT+ cabin is pretty small, so the pool that the agents are choosing from is much smaller; each individual's chances are higher. But op-ups are pretty rare on most routes on BA, because BA often sells out the First and Club cabins before it sells out WT+ and WT.

While greatam's advice about frequent flyer miles is sound, don't let that be the only driver of your choice. Sometimes it's better to forget the FF miles that you might collect on a particular trip because overall it's much better value to buy the better product. (But then, there are also other times when the FF miles you collect are so valuable for a particular reason that it's worth putting up with some absolute rubbish just to get the miles.)

Sorry, can't help with the comparisons, though.

Verna - I'd do anything to avoid Heathrow! Last year I took the CO flight out of EWR, shelling out for the upgrade. Best decision I ever made. Like others have said, you need to make your own decision. Even though I'm an AA Platinum, it just wasn't worth it, to me, to have to go through Heathrow. And I found the CO flight service to be excellent.

Even though I am also AA Gold (but will be close to Platinum this year due to all my flights to CA) I am leaning towards the nonstops on CO from/to EWR. I will either take the train to EWR, or rent cars for the drive down and back (2 one-way rentals will likely be cheaper than parking for 2 weeks!). I took 757 in June RT to Europe, was not that horrible. Maybe I'll get premium seating on CO?

Right now the nonstop flights are more of a draw than the miles, and avoiding Heathrow is also a draw.

Thanks for yoru advice!!

Archived