Port Activity Feedback WANTED

reco

HI Cruisers :)

I have cruised the Western Caribbean on Carnival (9/02) and really enjoyed it. I have told EVERYONE that they need to try it.

I have been reading through the posts and have gleened MUCHO important information. It is my aspiration to set up shop in Mahahual (Puerto Costa Maya) and provide excursions of various types. I cannot seem to get over the fact that this is a new destination and will only grow in traffic in the coming years. As you know, they are not creating new cruise ship stops (in the middle of no where) too often. SO the opportunity seems significant. Imagine the difficulty in trying a startup in an existing port (Nassau, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, etc.).

What I would like you to tell me is:

1. What types of port experiences do you want that are not being offered at the Costa Maya stop and what would a reasonable price for that experience be worth? I have a number of original ideas, however would really appreciate the input of the veterans and rookies.

2. Also of the types of activities that are currently offered, how could I improve on them to make them a better value for the cruise passenger?

3. What are your biggest concerns/fears when going on an excursion?

4. Would you prefer to have a couple of Gringos around so that there is no communication problem, or is the local talent adequately able to speak English to suit your needs?

Thanks for any help that you may be willing to provide. You have a great resource here for the cruising public. Cruisecritic.com should be applauded.

I'll be happy to reply again once I get back from our cruise, but I can offer this answer to your question regarding biggest concerns:

1. Missing the ship due to late returning excursion

2. Losing deposit if itinerary is forced to change

I also imagine, as a startup it would be an uphill climb to convince cruisers of your reliability and trustworthiness, as you wouldn't have the benefit of all of the unpaid advertising via word of mouth that the established outfits get. I know I would be leery of trying an excursion with a company that no one had heard of, either good or bad.

Good luck. A business venture like this has long been a dream of mine. Maybe one day...

I agree that the 2 biggies have been stated (lateness & deposit-one local operator in Mexico does not even take your money for the already-agreed-upon-price until the tour is over, which means he is confident about his service and your satisfaction).

We have had good & bad experiences with excursions, it really came down to the guide. If the person was knowledgeable & interesting, we lucked out. We have been shuffled around like cattle by some guides and came back with nothing gained. Excursions are expensive but can also bring some of the most special memories...it is nice to be with someone who is organized, personable & may offer something that no one else does, something truly LOCAL and different. We have a cruise coming up and I am doing much research on our ports, looking and comparing local tour operators & the ship excursions. If the port gets as busy as you anticipate it will, it won't take long for people to start talking about you and your services. Treat your first customers well and they will tell 2 friends, and so on...

Good Luck!

HI Cruisers :)

1. What types of port experiences do you want that are not being offered at the Costa Maya stop and what would a reasonable price for that experience be worth? I have a number of original ideas, however would really appreciate the input of the veterans and rookies.

2. Also of the types of activities that are currently offered, how could I improve on them to make them a better value for the cruise passenger?

3. What are your biggest concerns/fears when going on an excursion?

4. Would you prefer to have a couple of Gringos around so that there is no communication problem, or is the local talent adequately able to speak English to suit your needs?

1. It seems that there is not alot to do in Costa Maya itself, and everyone will be on the monkey farm. I haven't seen many light/beachy/romantic/relaxing excursions. It would be nice to have a GOOD catered beach lunch w/drinks & music...

2. Try to offer lower price ranges...I'd like to see someone do a good excursion for $25...

3. "Going" on one? That I've wasted my money & time, that I've trusted my life to an idiot, that I'll be shamed into a big tip for a guide that was so-so just because they are standing there in front of me

4. I's nice to have someone that is fluent in Spanish & English. That way the tour is understood by us mono-linguists and we can learn some new words!

JMHO :D

JumpingJackFlash

You are right! I found the site on another board (after I left this post, of course)and emailed them. They have already written back, prices are a little better than Celebrity's...if you are going to use their services soon, will you please post your experiences? We are going to be in CM in November. Thanks and have fun!

Thanks for the input. You have brought a couple of new issues to mind.

Is there any interest in maybe a higher priced experience, for example someone mentioned a "romantic" experience with lunch. If we could find several isloated places that we could efficiently get couples to and drop them off with all that they needed neatly prepared and waiting (gazebo, hammock, snorkel gear, lunch, wine, etc.) and then picked them up 3, 4 or 5 hours later, would that be a hit? And this concept would certainly be limited availibility (maybe 5-10 couples). As you can imagine, that would not be a $25 experience.

To provide more economy experiences, it seems that there would need to be limited travel from the dock, which limits things. The beach always seems like a hit. I believe a good beach bar & grill (literally sand floors) will always be in demand.

If you have any other thoughts or insight, I certainly appreciate your input. We surely can't build it if YOU don't tell us what you want. It's all about supply & demand, we aim to please you.

• 1 month later...

Reco,

We will be on our first cruise in 2 weeks. I expect if Grand Caymen is not back in service we will land in Costa Maya. Since that day is DH birthday, I have been looking for something in GC and now CM to do that is romantic and a bit off the beaten path. A lunch in a secluded area for 2, set up with wine and a relaxation spot would be great. Beach OK - but not mandatory. No monkey farm, stingray petting, horseback ridding or other such activity is wanted. Think something a local couple would do for a special occasion lunch. Even walking "tour" of some special area with a quite cafe lunch, pre-arranaged would be nice.

I am willing to lay down ($75-100 pp) the money to get something unique and more personalized.

Hope this helps.

xntric1, I suggest that you contact Marcia at Maya Beach Gardens. This is a beautiful small inn/resort a few miles from Majahual. They take a limited number of day visitors (maximum of six) in addition to their regular guests but only by advance reservation. It is off the beaten path--you would have to take a taxi there. Marcia might be able to offer you something that meets your desires for a romantic experience.

They have a dining room for their guests and they try to cater to their guests' food preferences and allegies. They also have a beach.

The website address is http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com.

Kathy

Kathy,

Thanks for the info. Carnival is still repeating that we are going to GC on the 13th of Oct. I hope they will let us know by next Monday if it will be GC or Costa Maya or someplace else.

I will contact Marcia to see what they have to offer.

Have you been to Maya Beach Gardens?

Donna

Donna,

I'm going on DCL October 9th. Disney has now officially switched from Grand Cayman to Costa Maya. We were to arrive in GC on 10/12. The official word from Disney is that there were miles and miles of beach eroded and the docks were all damaged from the last few hurricanes. Apparently GC has not opened their ports to anyone. Disney's stance until 9/24 (16 days before departure) was still GC, but finally switched and let those who were inquiring know.

I hope this helps. It's tough to not have that news for an OC planner :confused: .

Lori

Archived