Crown Princess in Sept - questions about the ship

happy cruzer

Hi, I have been avidly reading all the reviews and studying the deckplan on the Princess website but I still have a few questions about the Crown Princess. Thanks in advance!

Where are the live shows performed? and how many performances are there a night?

Which lounges/bars have live music for dancing?

The International Cafe looks pretty small. Does it get really crowded?

I saw in some reviews that there is sushi for a fee in Vines? About how much? And that is sometimes served in Cafe Caribe. Can anyone confirm when the sushi might be up in the buffet area? Are there special themed buffets? When lunch or dinner?

Where do you job? Just on the small track up top or a treadmill?

Is the sport court for both basketball and paddle tennis? Is it easy to get to play paddle tennis?

Where is the shuffleboard and ping pong?

Is the aft pool adults only? Is there any hot tubs in the aft area that are adults only?

I noticed on the back of some of the decks like baja there seem to be balcony type areas. Can passengers go out there? Are there stairs on the back of the ship outside?

Is there a viewing area on the front of the ship?

Any recommendations on what not to miss. It seems to be a big ship and with 5 ports of call in 7 days, it might be easy to miss something.

I'll try to answer as much as I can -- I was just on the Crown a few weeks ago.

Hi, I have been avidly reading all the reviews and studying the deckplan on the Princess website but I still have a few questions about the Crown Princess. Thanks in advance!

Where are the live shows performed? and how many performances are there a night?

Live shows are in the Princess Theatre (usually performed twice each night), Explorers Lounge, and Club Fusion. The number of shows per night in the latter two venues vary depending on what's on offer for the evening.

Which lounges/bars have live music for dancing?

The Wheelhouse Bar, and sometimes Club Fusion and Explorers as well.

The International Cafe looks pretty small. Does it get really crowded?

It can get busy at peak times, but I never found it difficult to find a place to sit when I went -- of course, it all depends on when you go, so that's really not a very helpful answer!

I saw in some reviews that there is sushi for a fee in Vines? About how much? And that is sometimes served in Cafe Caribe. Can anyone confirm when the sushi might be up in the buffet area? Are there special themed buffets? When lunch or dinner?

Yes, sushi is available for a fee at Vines, but I don't know the cost as I don't eat sushi. Ditto for Cafe Caribe, but I don't recall when it was, however they have a sign up there indicating what the special buffet is of the night -- and yes, there are themed ones every night. They do have some specialty stuff at lunch in Cafe Caribe, but not a specific theme, and they aren't open every day at lunch as Horizon is.

Where do you job? Just on the small track up top or a treadmill?

You mean "jog," right? The answer is both -- the track is small, so it can be a bit dizzying going around to many times for a mile, but you're in the fresh air, unlike on the treadmill in the gym. Nice equipment in the fitness center, though.

Is the sport court for both basketball and paddle tennis? Is it easy to get to play paddle tennis?

I have no first-hand knowledge of this.

Where is the shuffleboard and ping pong?

Again, I have no idea.

Is the aft pool adults only? Is there any hot tubs in the aft area that are adults only?

Yes, the aft pool is adults only, and a very quiet, nice pool indeed. I don't think there were adult-only hot tubs in the aft area, but I could be wrong -- I dislike them and therefore don't usually look out for them. Perhaps someone else can recall.

I noticed on the back of some of the decks like baja there seem to be balcony type areas. Can passengers go out there? Are there stairs on the back of the ship outside?

No, the balconies are private, belonging to cabins. There are stairs on the open deck aft between Riviera/Lido/Sun/Sports...

Is there a viewing area on the front of the ship?

The forward part of the Promenade Deck (which is covered), and the open deck area above the Bridge, which is accessible via the Lido Deck: go all the way forward past the cabins, through two doors that look like you're not supposed to go through them, and you'll find yourself out there. I believe that area is only available in port/at sailaway -- too windy to be out there underway.

Any recommendations on what not to miss. It seems to be a big ship and with 5 ports of call in 7 days, it might be easy to miss something.

Drinks in Adagio, the bar next door to Sabatinis (the Tiramisu Martini and Citrus Bellini were big hits). It's always quiet, a lovely room, and the piano player now (who may or may not be who you have on your cruise!) was excellent. Very very very icy cold champagne/proseco at Vines, with yummy complimentary nibbles. The galley tour.

Have a great time -- it's a beautiful ship!

Sport court / basketball court / paddle tennis court = same court. Ping pong table set up next to middle pool. Didn't see shuffleboard.

No adults only hot tubs in the aft pool area.

Re Princess Theatre - note that it seats about 800 so if you have a full cruise of 3400 and only two shows a night, it means get there early. 15-20 mins worked for us for the more popular shows.

The Cafe Caribe themes are in the Platter (but not very prominently, in fact didn't notice until 2nd last day).

What not to miss - my only suggestion is don't try and do everything on board. If you do miss something, it gives you an excuse to plan another cruise.

Sport court / basketball court / paddle tennis court = same court. Ping pong table set up next to middle pool. Didn't see shuffleboard.

No adults only hot tubs in the aft pool area.

Re Princess Theatre - note that it seats about 800 so if you have a full cruise of 3400 and only two shows a night, it means get there early. 15-20 mins worked for us for the more popular shows.

The Cafe Caribe themes are in the Platter (but not very prominently, in fact didn't notice until 2nd last day).

What not to miss - my only suggestion is don't try and do everything on board. If you do miss something, it gives you an excuse to plan another cruise.

Thanks for the info on the sports stuff.

DH loves to play paddle tennis, jog, ping pong, and shuffleboard. I'm just wondering a ship that big what are the odds that we will find these items available for two old foogies to get to use???? Is it just one sport court or or there two?

Also jogging on that little track up high looks really hot and windy. Is there anywhere else besides a treadmill?

Thanks for the warning about getting to the show early. I though I saw in one review that there was a classical guitarist one night. Anyone know if there is any classical type performances currently and in what venue?

Many thanks.

Archived