Amadeus and Docking in Vienna???

AliceS

• 2 weeks later...

The ships will dock within walking distance of the subway system. My wife and I took a day and went to the palace on our own to take a bunch of pictures. It's relatively easy to get around in Vienna. Right near where the ships dock is a large Ferris wheel type ride where you can book an evening diner while riding the wheel. We did not ride it, but friends of our did. They said it was interesting, but would not want to do the diner thing. Apparently, you are served one course per revolution. I really loved Vienna, it's so pretty. My wife celebrated her birthday there. A most unique experience.

Buck

Hi Buck:

Just noticed that you were from Cobourg. I live in Oshawa. Were practically neighbours.

I agree with you on Vienna. Very beautiful city, even in the pouring rain.

There's lots of places to go and it should be very easy for Alice to meet up with friends.

Tiggy

Hi Tiggy,

Vienna was especially important for me as a friend of mine was writing a movie script which, in part, takes place in Vienna. I took four or five hundred photographs while I was there. We also went to a concert in one of the halls in the Hoffburg palace which was really fantastic.

Buck

Avalon provided bus transfers from the ship to near the city centre and back in Vienna. We arrived early in the AM and there was a total of 5 bus transfers during the day and night so one could go back and forth as we wished. We did not sail until late at night. I agree,lovely city and we had all day and night to enjoy it.Even enough time to get our Sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel!!! Several went to the concert but for those that did not go there was another transfer into city centre and back to the ship around 11:00 PM..On this last transfer back to the ship we had a very nice driver who was very proud of his city and when he asked us if we wanted to take the long way back so he could show us Vienna all lit up we agreed that we did. He then drove us all around the circle road before we returned to the ship.It was just beautiful. Of course he earned an extra tip for that!:D

We had a very good Cruise Director who although this was her first river cruise she had worked for Globus for 18 years as a Tour Director.I think we really reaped the benefits of her many years as a Tour Director on coach tours. We never at any time had to take public transportation as a bus transfer was always provided. This was great for DH and I as we often like to take off on our own to see the sights and we just made sure we were at the bus pick up place on time .We just went back to the ship for lunch and dinner and spent the remanider of the time in Vienna.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived