Voyager - New Travel Channel Show - What do you think of Shane-O?

Agr8RN

Yesterday I watched the new Travel Channel Show on Voyager of the Seas - Mediterranean Cruise. It was:

Your Travel Guide Mediterranean Cruise

It was a new host, someone young - Shane-O, who I hadn't seen before. I was really almost appalled by the show.

He was the absolute worst travel guide I have ever seen. I'll take Samantha Brown over him ANYDAY!

He was a real wise-guy, and when he was meeting the locals in some of the ports he was just so rude, in my opinion. He was making fun of people's names, pronunciation of 'Cannes', their food, etc!

I just couldn't believe it.

He did more off beat site seeing, which was nice, but his way of getting things across was just so overly casual, and you really didn't get a feel for things.

I guess I must be getting old, (I'm only 32) but I just thought he was like a flip, little punk. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

I can't believe Travel Channel aired it- it will definitely not encourage people to cruise!

I have a feeling Royal Caribbean did not approve it, because there was absolutely NO RCI ADVERTISING when it aired.

Now if you've seen any of the other cruise shows, they usually run TONS of ads when they are on...

Oh well, said my piece. I'm interested to hear other's takes...

Add my name to the list of those who couldn't stand that jerk who ran the show about Voyager. I hope the people who run the Travel Channel see these comments so that we don't have to see that guy on a ship once more. What a difference between him and Smantha Brown. She is fabulous. ;)

My husband and I concur with everyone else.

Perhaps they were trying to reach a 'younger' crowd to watch this show? He just seemed a little too flippant and off-beat for us. :(

But, who did the editing of the show? That was just as bad. Continuing to cut back to the olive oil guide's description of tree shaking over and over was annoying.

His Captain outfit with the hook joke was just lame.

I have to agree with all of you. The only reason I was so excited to see the show was because of the ship and the destinations. He must think he's hot stuff and a comedian. He is neither in my opinion! Samantha Brown is much more entertaining to watch and seemed a lot more involved with what goes on on the ship too, not just the destinations. I hope that was his first and LAST cruise!

Yesterday I watched the new Travel Channel Show on Voyager of the Seas - Mediterranean Cruise. It was:

Your Travel Guide Mediterranean Cruise

It was a new host, someone young - Shane-O, who I hadn't seen before. I was really almost appalled by the show.

He was the absolute worst travel guide I have ever seen. I'll take Samantha Brown over him ANYDAY!

He was a real wise-guy, and when he was meeting the locals in some of the ports he was just so rude, in my opinion. He was making fun of people's names, pronunciation of 'Cannes', their food, etc!

I just couldn't believe it.

He did more off beat site seeing, which was nice, but his way of getting things across was just so overly casual, and you really didn't get a feel for things.

I guess I must be getting old, (I'm only 32) but I just thought he was like a flip, little punk. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

I can't believe Travel Channel aired it- it will definitely not encourage people to cruise!

I have a feeling Royal Caribbean did not approve it, because there was absolutely NO RCI ADVERTISING when it aired.

Now if you've seen any of the other cruise shows, they usually run TONS of ads when they are on...

Oh well, said my piece. I'm interested to hear other's takes...

I liked him because he gave a different perspective. I don't think he meant to be rude. I have seen every Samantha Brown show (love her) I enjoyed seeing it through different eyes.

ETA: Why isn't Samantha doing? is she too busy doing Latin America?

I liked him because he gave a different perspective. I don't think he meant to be rude. I have seen every Samantha Brown show (love her) I enjoyed seeing it through different eyes.

The perspective was interesting in that he did off-beat, less touristy areas. I thought that was good, but his whole mannerism was just - uggh! Can't even't describe it more. He just did not do the ship, or the ports of call any justice what-so-ever; in my opinion. And, maybe he didn't mean to be rude, but look at the expressions on the faces of the people he interacted with - from the captain to the lady with the bruschetta and the olives to the lady at the vineyard. They looked annoyed at times.

I agree, he was very annoying. Trying to appeal to a younger crowd? I'm 26, love traveling and I hated that show. He seemed very rude to the captain while getting a private tour of the bridge! Who does that? Was he trying to be funny? I did like how he went to off the beaten track places, but his mannerisms while he was there really turned me off. Travel channel needs a new guide for sure.

you have to keep in account, that this is from a series called "Not your average travel guide"

It is most certianly geared toward the younger crowd, and the filming and the dialoge is usually more "hip" than your usual travelog.

That being said -- I found his take interesting and informative, but then again, I enjoy the "Not your average travel guide" series...

Shane was a little different. I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to travel with him. I thought he was a bit flippant to his guides. However, I loved the "off the beaten path" places he visited. It gave me real "I miss Europe" pangs! I guess I'll have to endure Shane-O to get my European fix!:p

I was thrilled to catch this show just as it was starting, but within a few minutes, I was almost embarassed for this guy. I'm 36 and while I understand the Travel Channel putting a different spin on presenting a Mediterranean Cruise, I just felt he was out of his element.

I too felt his obnoxious behavior and admitted mispronunciations were just plain rude and disrespectful.

I did watch the entire show and it really inspired me to go "off the beaten track" on future travels, so it did serve a purpose, but I could have done without the snippy little remarks here and there.

As for that captain's outfit?!? My husband walked into the room and after catching a glimpse of the TV, promptly responded with, "who's the tool?!"

~Dawn

I watched the show because we had just taken the same cruise on Voyager. The guy is an idiot! I thought he was an embarrassment to Americans traveling abroad.

And I watched because we will take that same voyage in 6 weeks. :rolleyes:

I didn't learn much for my upcoming trip. But, I did think the gentleman who owns a tour company in Tuscany to be rather 'Godfather-ish' ;) .

We got a kick out of that.

I am gonna chime in too. My husband and I kind of liked him, thought he was refreshing actually. And believe me, I am NOT young - 48 to be exact. We also thought he was funny and now we want to do that Med cruise. We also liked the out of the way places he went to. Wherever he went around Pompei was awesome.

I think the Travel Channel as a whole is a joke. There are so many wonderful programs they could air. Keep the tribal stuff on National Geographic & the bizarre foods on the food channel. How about producing programs about, well, travel! Only show I like is Samantha Brown. Public TV has better stuff too with the fly overs of specific regions w/ the beautiful music & voice-overs. Craziness.

Here's the worst part.......I planned on watching it all week, because my DH and I are very interested on planning a cruise to Europe in the near future. We have been on the Explorer and Mariner, wasn't watching because of the ship, I wanted to experience these ports with the host! What a disappointment he was. He was annoying. Where did they find him I wonder??

I LOVE Samantha Brown, and I know she did a show like this last year I believe, on one of the Voyager class ships, I wish she would have done it again! The guy was a bomb :( It's already off my DVR....

Archived