JS or Family Oceanview

Ida72

We r booked on Mariner for Sept 30th cruise. Currently have js 1394 booked and r consider transfering to Family oceanview 8500. Does anyone have any pics of this particular stateroom as it seems oddshaped (8500)? We have 2 kids ages 14 and 3 and think the bunkbeds would be better than a sleepersofa.....

I think I'd stick with the JS aft! 8500 is all the way forward--I can just imagine the wind out there while the ship is underway! It would take your breath away!

8500 doesn't have a balcony.

OP, sorry, I don't have any pictures, either. I think it would be nice to have a separate sleeping area, which you won't have in a JS. But the movement all the way forward will be a lot more pronounced than all the way aft, if that's a concern.

I think the bunkbeds will be better, we were in a one bedroom suite this past weekend and my 14 yr old complained about the sofa, and it does give us a little privacy. Is the motion felt a lot more towards the front of the ship? We've cruised on 2 previous occasions but mid-ship...

We r booked on Mariner for Sept 30th cruise. Currently have js 1394 booked and r consider transfering to Family oceanview 8500. Does anyone have any pics of this particular stateroom as it seems oddshaped (8500)? We have 2 kids ages 14 and 3 and think the bunkbeds would be better than a sleepersofa.....

8500 is MUCH bigger than the normal oceanview cabins. Its layout is just like a suite with 2 separate bedroom areas and a large living room. The cabin has 4 Large oceanview windows (2 in the living room, 1 in each bedroom). It has a different shape than the others on board. Go to RCI's website, choose Adventure of the Seas ( I know that is not your exact ship but it will show you Cabin 8500 which is way different than the normal Family oceanview), then choose view deck plans, choose deck 8, then choose Family Oceanview for your stateroom and click on 360 degrees. It will show you a view of the cabin. I would choose this one over a JS just much more room!!

Hi Tampa I'm just south in Palmetto. I know a thing or two about cruisin with kids I have five ages 3-15. Sometimes they go sometimes they don't need a break ya know. When they all go we get an ocean view and they get an inside cabin directly across the hallway. You have to book it with one adult and a coule kids in each room then switch. The littlw one always stayed with us in our cabin at first in a portacrib. But now at age 3 she will stay in a bunk bed. I guess what I am trying to say is that we are cheap, no really, we're on a budget (social worker and paramedic= no money) and instead of wasting a lot of money on huge suites, we aren't in much anyway, we spent it building memories together in the ports. With just two kids, I'd share just an ocean view. The kids will be out late and most like fall asleep anywhere when they need to! Have fun and maybe I'll see you at Busch Gardens!

Hi Tampa I'm just south in Palmetto. I know a thing or two about cruisin with kids I have five ages 3-15. Sometimes they go sometimes they don't need a break ya know. When they all go we get an ocean view and they get an inside cabin directly across the hallway. You have to book it with one adult and a coule kids in each room then switch. The littlw one always stayed with us in our cabin at first in a portacrib. But now at age 3 she will stay in a bunk bed. I guess what I am trying to say is that we are cheap, no really, we're on a budget (social worker and paramedic= no money) and instead of wasting a lot of money on huge suites, we aren't in much anyway, we spent it building memories together in the ports. With just two kids, I'd share just an ocean view. The kids will be out late and most like fall asleep anywhere when they need to! Have fun and maybe I'll see you at Busch Gardens!

Yep, the suites we were looking into have the sleepersofa also, which is getting to be a problem for my son. We were going to get a balcony stateroom and an interior for the kids but our nanny was not able to go with us, so one room it is. The pics of the oceanview actually looks spacious and we would have our privacy in a separate bedroom, and it was $400 less than what we originally payed for the JS. I am sorry to give up the AFT balcony, but I might have been to tense with my 3 yr. old anyway... We might see you in Busch Gardens, we tend to go a lot more when the heat eases up a bit.

What about asking your kids opinions? If I had a 14yo I can't imagine that he would want to sleep with my 3yo because he's a sideways sleeper. My 6yo hasn't quite figured that out yet. LOL!

I have to say that would be a really tough decision for me. Give up the balcony and 2 cruise credits or go for the separate beds. I think (keep in mind, I haven't cruised with my kids yet) I would probably go with the family suite since there is a separate living area (to replace the balcony). Or go with what the kids decide. Your 14yo might be ok with sharing the sofa bed if it means having the balcony.

Thank you Ida! I am on the same sailing! I just swapped my 7394 JS for your 1394 JS! That just made my day! Thanks again and we'll have to meet up! Have you checked out our roll-call? take care,Angel

Ah, you already made the switch! Way to grab up that aft cabin Frankiesmom! :D

Thank you Ida! I am on the same sailing! I just swapped my 7394 JS for your 1394 JS! That just made my day! Thanks again and we'll have to meet up! Have you checked out our roll-call? take care,Angel

Your Welcome, we are excited for our change also. We did talk it over with our 14 yr old prior to changing, he didn't care a bit for the balcony:mad:

I think we will be comfy in this stateroom...maybe I will go visit ur aft balcony;)

Archived