Gold-Silver Premium Wine

jschutz

So just how "adequate" are the complimentary wines? We certainly are not connoisseurs in any sense of the word - and normally consume restaurant wine in the $30 to $60 retail range. So is the Silver (3 bottles/$195) or the Gold (6 bottles/$390+ wider selection) worth it?

With very limited exception the complimentary wines are very good and you should be happy with them if you are not a real vinophile. However, the packages are a very good value and may be worth spending that little bit extra for something a bit more special.

After a couple of pre-dinner martinis in the Club no one cares what kind of wine they are serving. But if you do, the "complimentary" wine is not the best reason to be sailing Seabourn. And the Gold Card is the best value (if you can drink all the wine).

I love a couple of pre-dinner martinis, so maybe will stick to the complimentary wine list for our first Seabourn cruise. We will look at their premium lists when we take the trip go with the flow. Thanks for the response.

No, I am not in politics...but I am noted for understanding that wine is to taste, not to impress others by spending money where it doesn't matter. For some, probably me included, the wine packages make good sense. For most, however, the complimentary wines are more than fine.

(Now, do I have to kiss a baby, shake more hands? No, I have to get onboard! September is too far away.)

We sailed the Legend June 23rd to July 7th (Rome to Rome). First cruise. It was our 30th anniversary so I ordered the Gold Package. You only live once! The entire 1st week we just had the "regular" wine. It was more than adequate. Then, the second week, we were under pressure to drink 6 "gold level" bottles! Wow!

First, let me say, that I don't think you need to splurge. However, if you do, you won't be sorry. Some of the wines would have cost over $100 per bottle in a restaurant, so it was rather special. And a good value.

The next time though, I would probably just go with the flow. Some of the "regular" wine offerings were really good. I was unfamiliar with most of the wines, but Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio was among them (just to give you an idea of the price point).

Have a great time on your trip! I'm having some withdrawal symptoms and will have to make do with living vicariously through you and the other members of this board til at least next summer.;)

No, I am not in politics...but I am noted for understanding that wine is to taste, not to impress others by spending money where it doesn't matter.

I fully agree Boatman, as a sweet tooth, the real cheapies suit me. Love to upset some of the "wine snobs" by saying "oh I just love that $3.95 bottle of Dead Dingo bubbly" I do get some strange looks at times!! :D We found the complimentary wines great, there was an odd one we didn't like, so the waiter just poured us another .......

The other thing to consider is are you going to be dinning on your own or joining larger tables. I really don`t consider it polite to join other tables and have your own exclusive wine, so should you avoid drinking the gold/silver choice or invite everybody on the table to share ?

I think it is perfectly acceptable to have your own wine at a group table. As one who enjoys my wines, when I dine I don't try to find consensus as to which wine to drink, so 2 or 3 different wines are usually poured. (Heck, if I am having lobster it doesn't deprive my tablemate from having steak. Why should wine be different.)

Dining on a cruise is definitely a social event, but it is not the same as inviting someone to your home. So if you quietly enjoy your alternative wines it should not be a problem...unless, of course, your tablemates insist on mooching off of you!:eek:

I love a couple of pre-dinner martinis, so maybe will stick to the complimentary wine list for our first Seabourn cruise. We will look at their premium lists when we take the trip go with the flow. Thanks for the response.

You sound like my kind of guy--The martinis at the club are always great--sapphire 8 to 1 shaken does it for me! Don

You gin guys are killing me - I'm strictly a Ketel or Belvedere VERY dirty, up and shaken hard. I guess I'm just not a martini purist. Perhaps we should start a martini thread! Anyways, think will just stick to the complimentary wines this trip and then make a judgement for the following trips........

You will be very happy! I have never had a problem with the house wines--don't know if you are hitting Italy--we love the drink the local house or home made wines--they can be interesting and fun. We gin guys have no problem with you vodka folks--it's very close to a real cocktail!! Don

You gin guys are killing me - I'm strictly a Ketel or Belvedere VERY dirty, up and shaken hard. I guess I'm just not a martini purist. Perhaps we should start a martini thread! Anyways, think will just stick to the complimentary wines this trip and then make a judgement for the following trips........

Make sure you click the "other" box on your Guest Registration Form - those two vodka brands aren't listed on the regular form but I have seen them on board.

However, I'm one of those gin guys: Bombay Sapphire 6 to 1 (a bit "wet") with a twist!

Unless you are a real oenophile, you will be happy with the house wines. If you want a special bottle one night, you can always order from the full wine list - a much larger selection. I found the sommelier on the Pride very pleasant and eager to direct me to something that matched my desires ... whether it was on the comp. list or the a la carte list.

johnny

When we sailed the Pride my DH (the wine guy with the 1200 bottle cellar) brought about 8 or 9 bottles on board of his own which we shared with new friends we made on board (and the captain!) and they shared with us their gold selection. It is a great value and I fear my dh will do it for our upcoming cruise on the Pride 11/24 but for me the "house" wines were great.

hope this works...I had the same question as you and searched the forum and found that someone posted the "complimentary wine list"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=459163&highlight=wine+list

My wife and I are not real wine experts (I'll have the white please!)...we took the list to the local wine store and found many of the bottles to be in the $25 to $30 retail range...more than adequate for our tastes.

BTW. I saw your thread on the tuxedo...I took a black suit and got a patterned tux shirt and a bow tie....a bit of mixing and matching and got through 14 days...

enjoy the trip.

Thanks for the wine list - No Napa or Willamette Valley wines though - but still good enough for my palate.

The tux idea sounds like a great idea - but then I would have to buy a black suit. I hate to pack a tux/shoe outfit for just one night, particularly when we will be traveling throughout France for the following 2 weeks. I did check with Seabourn Valet though and got a quote of $300 to ship back one small (tux filled) suitcase (under 30#) from Barcelona to San Diego. Maybe I'll just shop around for a very expensive under $300 black suit. Am going to Hong Kong in October so will check it out. Thanks.

Certainly the wine list wines are generally more than acceptable, but going with with enhanced package may give you a chance to try some outstanding wines that you would not normally have the opportunity to taste. You will get special attention from the sommelier who will be able to direct you to some tremendous choices. Further, it is an excellent treat if you invite another couple to dine with you. On our honeymoon cruise last November on the Legend, we brought two special bottles of our own and the Gold package. Each day at lunch we discussed with Madjik, the sommelier, the evening's meal and the best wines to match the food. He made sure the wine was ready for us and always brought out the best stemware. Some folks made some envious, but joking comments, that they had the plonk, and we had the good stuff. Of course we made sure that Madjik had a good taste of each wine. It really enhanced our enjoyment of our dinners (and those of guests we invited to our table!).

Archived