floatplanes bouncy?

kandb

I was all set to book us on a Misty Fjord floatplane, and my brother told us that he went on a wild ride over Mt. McKinley, and they were holding on for dear life. He suggested to skip it and just do the helicopter ride in Juneau. Has anyone has any personal experience over the Misty Fjord. We are up for an adventure, but bouncing up and down and going from side to side is a little too much.

We just did the Misty Fjords floatplane trip and it was surprisingly smooth. The conditions may vary with the weather.

Splendour of the Seas, 11/17/00
Summit, 10/28/02
Mercury, 5/05/04

We have done both the mt. McKinley and Misty Fjords flights and we didn't notice any difference between them. Both were very nice flights. Both had their little bounces once in a while.

BQ and Yukon can address this topic better than most with their numerous flights in Alaska.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99
Ecstacy 05/00
Westerdam 04/01
Legend of the Seas 08/02
Zaandam 04/03
Carnival Spirit 08/03

I have been on many aircraft in Alaska. There are NO guarantees on the "smoothness" of flights and you must be accepting of the possibility of "movement". I have gone on Misty Fjords flights that did do more "dipping" than others in and out of fjords. It depends on conditions and the pilot. If this is not for you- then choose something else perhaps.

I have never been so nauseous on a plane because of the terrain, the ice, rock, ice thing there are thermals galore. I have been in LOTS of tiny plane while skydiving and not an easy-queasy but it is a bumpy ride.

[B] Life is at it's best when your address floats [/B]
[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 12/04
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

It all depends on the weather. In the air a float plane will be just as bumpy as one on wheels. If it's windy and you're in the mountains, chances are it could be bumpy. If it's a warm day, it could also be bumpy depending on the terrain your flying over. Dramamine works great, might knock you out for a while though...

we used [url="http://www.islandwings.com/"]http://www.islandwings.com/[/url] and Michelle was great...this was our favorite ...even better than the helicopter glacier landing. I loved it....it wasn't bumpy at all and I was pretty scared at first but she was so good at putting me at ease!

For prevention, you might want to try Bonine because it doesn't make you drowsy like Dramimine does.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99
Ecstacy 05/00
Westerdam 04/01
Legend of the Seas 08/02
Zaandam 04/03
Carnival Spirit 08/03

I took Island Wings last summer. I couldn't believe how smooth take off and landing was. The only time we experienced any bumps was when Michelle decided to return via a different route (this was to the Bear Viewing Platform north of Ketchikan; not Misty Fjords which is south of Ketchikan) and we flew between some peaks where there's always turbulence but nothing horrible. I loved every minute of the ride and I am a white knuckle flier.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;
Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00
Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;
Carnival Triumph - 7/02;
Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04; QM2 - 5/04

Archived