Drink Coupons

delkins23

Are drink coupons a good idea or a waste of time and money?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are drink coupons a good idea or a waste of time and money?

• Yes they are a good idea
    • No they are a waste of time
    • What are drink coupons
    • I don't care as long as I can get drunk

We bought a bunch before our cruise. They made great stocking stuffers for my husband for Christmas and easy birthday gifts for the friends that were going with us. It basically comes down to you either spend the money a couple months before your cruise or you spend it in one lump sum at the end when you close out your account. We liked the idea of paying for as much as we could up front. It is just how you want to spend your money. :)

http://community.webshots.com/album/521755807XYeiOA

I have not ever had a problem using the drink coupons. But only used them for the frozen drinks.

I now buy funship dollars for $25.00 and not worry about buying a drink that costs enough.

Only buy the coupons to prepay your bar bill.

I've been going back and forth on the issue of drink coupons and funship dollars and I've decided not to do either. I figure that if I prepay for drinks or anything else, I'll feel like I have to have them (I'm normally not a big drinker) or that I have to spend the money. Knowing whatever I sign for I'll have to pay for at the end of the cruise might keep my from spending more than I should. I have given myself a mental spending limit and hopefully I'll keep to it.

I'm not familiar with these... how do you get them? pre-paying for drinks in advance a bit at a time is perfect for us. ;)

when is your cruise?? I book my cruise over a year out. I buy 1- $25.00 funship dollar each pay. I dont miss 25.00 and by the time I cruise i got a little nest egg. I cruise the end of the month and got over 700 worth of funship dollars to place on my onboard credit. I take them and visit the pursers office when i get onboard. WHatever I dont use by the end of the week-- i get a check which i can cash for free at the pursers desk

I think that I am going to purchase some for my upcoming cruise. I think you save about $.89 per drink.

if you are going to do this-- do it soon,. You can not buy them onboard nor can you buy them within 7 days of sailing

I purchased a total of 8 ( 2 sheets) for our past cruise and I liked them. I gave my husband his sheet of 4 and explained the in's and out's. Over the course of the entire cruise we only used 1 each. This was because we are not really hard core drinkers ( no offense to anyone that is):p, we brought on a bottle of Moscato and champagne ( we sipped that throughout) and we had margaritas in Mexico. We have 6 left for our November cruise :D .

We also had a $200 on board credit and the last night we received a check for $17.95:D . I was thrilled that we had done so well. I recommend the drink coupons and Funship Dollars.

We bought a bunch before our cruise. They made great stocking stuffers for my husband for Christmas and easy birthday gifts for the friends that were going with us.

Just a note to let people know when you purchase drink coupons they are not mailed to you- they are given to you the first night at dinner.

I have heard people complain about the funship dollars. You just go to the pursers desk @ beggining of cruise and you're all set? I thought you had to register them before the cruise started and mail them in.

That is why I was leaning toward the drink coupons.

I have heard people complain about the funship dollars. You just go to the pursers desk @ beggining of cruise and you're all set? I thought you had to register them before the cruise started and mail them in.

That is why I was leaning toward the drink coupons.

the back of the coupon states to mail them in- I have used funship dollars for 7 of my carnival cruises and never mailed them. I have yet to have a problem.

I visit the purser at night on the day we get onboard. The lines during the day are super long.

I get all kinds of prepaid stuff-- funship $$, drink coupons, soda coupons and photo coupons. I prepay my cruise before I go this way.

Since you are not sailing until next July-- you can accumulate quite a few funship $$ during the coming months.

Some people will say jsut palce cabin credit-- but since I am buying them every pay-- thats too much paper work to go through if a payment goes missing.

with my funship dollars its a fun way of a calender I got.. One week i buy a dollar...the next week it gets delivered and so on.. it was a great way to mark off the weeks

when is your cruise?? I book my cruise over a year out. I buy 1- $25.00 funship dollar each pay. I dont miss 25.00 and by the time I cruise i got a little nest egg. I cruise the end of the month and got over 700 worth of funship dollars to place on my onboard credit. I take them and visit the pursers office when i get onboard. WHatever I dont use by the end of the week-- i get a check which i can cash for free at the pursers desk

that sounds so smart... we need that since we got smacked with a surprising bill on our first cruise (from all the drinking :o). we're not going until December '08, so we still have time. but do i just contact Carnival and ask about them, or can the TA/booking agent order them for me? i just don't know how to get them!

I find it as a way to "prepay" my S & S card. I buy a few each paday, a few months before the cruise.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm buying one set of coupons each payday. Dad turned me onto this. He's done it before. This way, I pre-pay my bar bill and don't get hit with a HUGE surprise on the credit card at the end.

My figuring is that I should have about 60 coupons by cruise time. Enough for the four of us for the 5 days.

Is there a limit on the drinks that you can buy with the drink coupon? I'm mainly a foo-foo drink person or a vodka tonic kinda person. Can I buy any of the foo-foo drinks with the drink coupon? Is there a limit of the value of drink you can purchase? What about gratuity? Is that included in the drink coupon or do they add the gratuity to my sign & sail?

Trying to compare the prices of the drinks versus the value of the coupon & see if it's worth it.

Found answers on another thread...

4 drink coupons cost 19.50 or 4.88 each

They are good for a drink up to 4.95 and include the tip so they are essentially worth 5.69 each.

4 drinks plus tip would cost you 22.77, so you would save 87 cents per drink.

They are NOT worth it if you drink beer, as the special on the buckets of beer is cheaper than the coupon.

We drink lots of foo-foo drinks during the day, and Southern Comfort or Amaretto at night. Once, and only once, when I ordered a Grey Goose Cosmo was I told I would have to pay the extra 25 cents difference.

Archived