Is the White Pass and Youkon train ride worth it?

Susan Casler

It's a beautiful ride, but it really depends on whether or not your group is interested. When we took our teen-age kids 3 years ago, I discussed excursions with them. Both of them seemed totally bored with the idea of the train ride, so we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake for about $100 total instead of the $400 or more the train would have cost.

When we went back this summer, my DH and I did the train ride and loved it. I really think it depends on the ages in your group and interests of your group.

i noticed you said (in another thread) that you rented a car in skagway? you either rent a car or do the train...they run on opposite sides of the valley. if you have a baby (another thread)...you will be much better off with the car. there is a thread about traveling with a baby:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

driving out of skagway, there is only 1 road. the highway goes up to the yukon. murray's guide gets rave reviews for giving you details of the highway and where to stop to see what.

as far as the train ride...which train ride? just the round-trip? one of the combo trips with bus one way/train another?

check your cancellation policies. if you book private, some of the vendors don't refund unless it's weather related or your ship doesn't make it. there are visitor's centers in each port with tours, if you get stuck with nothing do to. most of the towns are so small, taxis or the city bus will work it you can't walk it.

We did the White Pass railroad and bus trip through Chilkoot Charters last week. Unfortunately it was foggy and rainy while we were on the train, but it cleared a little on the bus trip back. We did buy the DVD and book for $20 that they sell on the train since we knew most of our pictures wouldn't turn out. Our bus driver and guide, Nancy, stopped several times for us to take pictures. Emerald Lake was beautiful and the lunch and museum at Caribou Crossing was great! So, I would say it was worth it for us.

Thanks again for all the advice. I really mean it - I will have 10 things planned at each port just so I have somethign good to do no matter the weather. After all, we aren't going back there anytime soon!

I wouldn't wait until you arrive to plan something. All our ship's excursions were booked solid and when we got off the ship many of the kiosks selling tours had "sold out" signs on them for the good tours.

i noticed you said (in another thread) that you rented a car in skagway? you either rent a car or do the train...they run on opposite sides of the valley. if you have a baby (another thread)...you will be much better off with the car. there is a thread about traveling with a baby:

No, you can do both. One of our fellow CC'ers did both in July. She and DH took the early train trip, then got off, had a car from Avis rented for 1 pm, and drove to Emerald Lake and back......with still a little time for shopping.

Susan....your baby might love the motion of the train. We have done both trips and loved both....very much. I am so glad you have a backup plan because so many folks are very disappointed when one of their dream trips is cancelled. gg

Last Tuesday we went on the bus ride up and train ride back. It was foggy and drizzled some, but then cleared up. Actually, I got some really cool photos in the fog! In one, the cantilever bridge disappears into the fog and several people asked me for copies of that photo!

Our tours were included with our Majestic Empress of the North cruise, but I understand they run about 125. each. My husband and I loved it, but if I was taking my whole family I think I would probably rent the car and save 400. unless the kids are into trains.

Either way, the ride was awesome.

Grammy

my train ride was foggy, also. i have a photo of the bridge, barely visible in the fog. very eerie.

Toyz - we had the same problem with the fog as we left Skagway in an Avis car this July. We started out and a mile out of town the fog got so thick we just had to creep to be able to see the center line. I was so disappointed at first, because I knew this was glorious scenery behind all that fog.......but finally, about the time we got to the Canadian Border, it lifted. By the way, Toyz, what are you doing up in the wee hours of the morning, posting:D . I am on line now, because, like you in Mississippi, our days are so darn hot right now. gg

UTmom, We did the train last week and our driver was Nancy! We were suppose to do the train to Carcross but had to do the Yukon rail/bus trip instead. It must have been the same one? It was foggy at some places but what a great trip it was. I liked the desert and Emerald Lake.

We did the bus up and the train back. It's not just about the scenery. In fact, the scenery had nothing to do with it when they built it 100 years ago. If anything the scenery and the terrain made it a huge challenge. It's as much about the history of the gold rush, and dead horse gulch, and the Chillkoot trail and the miracle that they built 28 miles of railroad through some of the most rugged country in the world in less than 2 1/2 years! I think it's a must see, and if it's foggy on the day you go, just imagine being there in snow and ice and freezing temps like our ancestors were in the early 20th century.

The train is a 'must see' in Skagway IMHO/

Red Rox - great comments. DH and I agree 100 %. We took the train trip because we wanted to experience what these guys saw and manuevered over and around with tremendous pounds of provisions. They had a vision.......a dream........and determination. gg

We did the bus up and the train back. It's not just about the scenery. In fact, the scenery had nothing to do with it when they built it 100 years ago. If anything the scenery and the terrain made it a huge challenge. It's as much about the history of the gold rush, and dead horse gulch, and the Chillkoot trail and the miracle that they built 28 miles of railroad through some of the most rugged country in the world in less than 2 1/2 years! I think it's a must see, and if it's foggy on the day you go, just imagine being there in snow and ice and freezing temps like our ancestors were in the early 20th century.

The train is a 'must see' in Skagway IMHO/

Great answer! I was in the front car with the hikers or out on the platform most of the time, so missed all that great commentary!

I'm glad we did the rail/bus combo - because that way we got to view the scenery from both sides of the valley.

The other 'must do' in Skagway, IMHO, is to see the film at the ranger station. It's convenient in that it's almost the first place you get to when you get off the ship, and it's right next to the train station, AND it's FREE! There's no excuse not to see this short film and learn how Skagway came to be, and the history of the people who passed through there.

the thing about the train is that with a child, there is not place for them to craw around or more. so unless they are going to sit quietly for 3 hours..it could be hard on them. the way the seats are , there isn't a place for a car seat. the views are outstanding, but as many others have said..with a young family..renting a car can make good sense.

(some night the pain keeps me awake..this board is good entertainment when you can't sleep...yes, it's HOT)

542145254_39larrysrideback.jpg.4ab3ccdfed7b2f3ad3627c7f4b5b0128.jpg

UTmom, We did the train last week and our driver was Nancy! We were suppose to do the train to Carcross but had to do the Yukon rail/bus trip instead. It must have been the same one? It was foggy at some places but what a great trip it was. I liked the desert and Emerald Lake.

1st Cruiser1:

We were probably on the same trip! We went on Tuesday of last week. Nancy was a delight. We met so many people in Alaska who just come up to work in the summer and have great adventures and other jobs in the winter. Nancy was one of those! I also loved Emerald Lake and the desert.

Are you getting rested up yet? I still feel like I just got back from vacation and it's almost been a week!!!

UTmom, Yes it was the same trip, Wish I had known then! We sat on the left side of the bus probably 3 or 4 seats back. Nancy sure was something, moving around every season like that.

It does take some getting used to being back home. It was a fantastic trip and I would recommend the train ride for sure.

• 2 months later...

No, you can do both. One of our fellow CC'ers did both in July. She and DH took the early train trip, then got off, had a car from Avis rented for 1 pm, and drove to Emerald Lake and back......with still a little time for shopping.

Susan....your baby might love the motion of the train. We have done both trips and loved both....very much. I am so glad you have a backup plan because so many folks are very disappointed when one of their dream trips is cancelled. gg

That sounds a very good idea. But sometimes the rental car company may not hold the car for you if they are oversold.

edit: didn't realize it is an old post..:)

Can you tell me if Chilkoot has as child's rate? I don't see it on the website. I did read on here that the 7 hr rail/bus tour w/bbq lunch is $165. thanks!

I recall that they had a price for children, but you'll need to e-mail them, since their prices aren't on their web site. We did that rail/bus excursion with Chilkoot in June 2007, and it was great!

thanks Nancy - I did email them and am waiting to hear back. I'm really looking forward to this excursion. I've read about (probably) most of them, and even though it costs a bit more, I think it will be worth it.

I emailed them (twice) 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for a reply as well. I'm kind of dissapointed with the (lack of ) response. Maybe they have closed for the season or gone on holidays or something!

Regards,

Michael

I emailed them (twice) 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for a reply as well. I'm kind of dissapointed with the (lack of ) response. Maybe they have closed for the season or gone on holidays or something!

Regards,

Michael

I've had the same problem too. Possibly after the summer rush they close down for a bit because I tried to book a whale watching with Harv & Marv in Sagway and their site said they've closed the office until mid-Nov.

Archived