Is the White Pass and Youkon train ride worth it?

Susan Casler

I am not sure if we shoud do it as it costs $550 for all of us to go!

We did the motorcoach up and the train back in June. It was sooo worth the money. We took our DS 15 and DD 11 and they had a blast. Not bored at all. The scenery is like no other.

I honestly feel that even if we had rented the car, we would have only seen 1/2 as much. It was a whole different view on the train ride down!

I would recommend booking thru the cruise line. Since it is such a long trip, if you book on your own and anything happens and you are late back, you may be on your own locating transportation to the next port.

Have a great trip. Just starting to investigate another trip in 09!

Deb

Deb - how long were you in port that day? We're there until 8-8:30 pm, so I don't think it would be a problem getting back in time if tours ends at 2:30. Did you feel like it was too crowded with the ship excursion? Which ship were you on? We'll be on the Diamond next August. Thanks! Diana

I emailed them (twice) 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for a reply as well. I'm kind of dissapointed with the (lack of ) response. Maybe they have closed for the season or gone on holidays or something!

Regards,

Michael

I had no problems e-mailing them a year ago at this time, but perhaps they are out of the office, as others suggested. Try calling them.

We did the motorcoach up and the train back in June. It was sooo worth the money. We took our DS 15 and DD 11 and they had a blast. Not bored at all. The scenery is like no other.

I honestly feel that even if we had rented the car, we would have only seen 1/2 as much. It was a whole different view on the train ride down!

I would recommend booking thru the cruise line. Since it is such a long trip, if you book on your own and anything happens and you are late back, you may be on your own locating transportation to the next port.

Have a great trip. Just starting to investigate another trip in 09!

Deb

I'm not sure I would agree about booking with the cruise company instead of an independent tour booking. Just a thought -- when we did the Chilcoot Charters ($165) trip in September, we had an entire train car on the White Pass Railway for our small group of 8 passengers. We looked at the train cars behind us and everyone was sitting shoulder to shoulder and it was pretty cramped. There also was not enough room for more than a few of them at a time on the observation area at the front and back of their cars. We really felt like VIPs -- had enough room to enjoy all the sights from both sides of the train.

The van part of the trip was also fantastic and we were able to stop very often to see things that the large groups couldn't. One of our tour group members spotted a bear near the side of the road -- yelled "a bear, a bear" and within seconds our driver and guide, Bob, was able to turn the van around and give us a long pause to watch and take pix. The large tour buses missed out on the experience.

There is only one road out of Skagway - and if your private tour bus is late, I can only imagine that the cruise ship tours will also be delayed.

Archived