What to do with 11 y/o and 8 y/o boys and my Mom?

CruizCuz

Ok, I've heard that the shopping is very expensive in the Cayman Islands. My mother really, really wants to shop, so I'm sure that we'll do some of that while we are there. BUT, the big question is what to do with the boys, ages 11 and 8? I know that the Steve Irwin accident, was just that...an accident. My dh and I swam with the rays about 8 years ago and loved it. My kids played with the dolphins last year in the Bahamas and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I thought they would want to swim with the rays. NO way, they have both said. What would you suggest? We live in Florida, very close to the beach, so that's not a big thrill for them. I don't want to go somewhere if the bugs and mosquitoes will carry us away. They both love animals, zoos, but aren't big snorkelers. Any suggestions would be great. Also, if anyone has ANY suggestions for shopping for my mother, that would be greatly apprreciated as well.

Ok, I've heard that the shopping is very expensive in the Cayman Islands. My mother really, really wants to shop, so I'm sure that we'll do some of that while we are there. BUT, the big question is what to do with the boys, ages 11 and 8? I know that the Steve Irwin accident, was just that...an accident. My dh and I swam with the rays about 8 years ago and loved it. My kids played with the dolphins last year in the Bahamas and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I thought they would want to swim with the rays. NO way, they have both said. What would you suggest? We live in Florida, very close to the beach, so that's not a big thrill for them. I don't want to go somewhere if the bugs and mosquitoes will carry us away. They both love animals, zoos, but aren't big snorkelers. Any suggestions would be great. Also, if anyone has ANY suggestions for shopping for my mother, that would be greatly apprreciated as well.

The boys will love the Pirate Encounter. It was fairly reasonably priced and is a lot of fun.

I will look into the Pirate Encounter...it sounds fun! Thank you for the suggestion. Does anyone have any recommendations for shopping? What are the Cayman's known for, in terms of shopping? Perfume, jewelry, etc.????

• 1 month later...

According to Frommers, the best deals are on native crafts, watches, jewelry made of Caymanite, designer sunglasses, rum, designer clothing, art, cameras, crystal and cosmetics. There's no sales tax. The guidebooks lists many shops to choose from.

Another vote for the Pirate Encounter.

Our three boys loved it when we did this excursion in July.

Some of the highlights include:

icon7.gif-seeing the Pirates--especially the one that was dressed up like Jack Sparrow

icon12.gif-watching the Pirates load the cannon and fire it

icon14.gif-jumping off the side of the ship or walking the plank into the water

I have included the link to our slideshow/video footage of our port excursions. The Cayman Pirate Encounter is in it.

Can the Pirate encounter be booked privately? We will be on the Century and it isn't on their shore excursion list.

Chances are if you are on a cruise ship, the Pirate Encounter would want you to book through your ship as they offer a special cruise at a special time (9:00 am-11:00 am)--just for the cruise ship passengers. Since the Century does not list this shore excursion, you can try to book privately through them. However, they only offer tours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2:00-4:00 pm. A private excursion would only work if you are in port on one of these days and if your ship has a late afternoon or early evening departure so that you have enough time to get back to your ship.

Here is the link to the Cayman Pirate Encounter.

http://www.jollyrogercayman.com/web%20pages/pirate_cruise.htm

Chances are if you are on a cruise ship, the Pirate Encounter would want you to book through your ship as they offer a special cruise at a special time (9:00 am-11:00 am)--just for the cruise ship passengers. Since the Century does not list this shore excursion, you can try to book privately through them. However, they only offer tours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2:00-4:00 pm. A private excursion would only work if you are in port on one of these days and if your ship has a late afternoon or early evening departure so that you have enough time to get back to your ship.

Here is the link to the Cayman Pirate Encounter.

http://www.jollyrogercayman.com/web%20pages/pirate_cruise.htm

I have emailed Pirate Encounter multiple times and never received the courtesy of a response!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived