New to HAL: cabin location and storage room?

davispigeon

Hi all,

I booked my first cruise on HAL today! Woohoo!! I'm doing a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise on Oosterdam with my best friend. We love cruising!

I have a couple of questions that I hope you Cruise Critic folk can help me with.

My BF is very prone to motion sickness so I always try to get us a cabin on the inside, low deck, midship. My TA could only find a cabin in K category on the Upper Veranda deck, towards the rear of the ship. How bumpy is that going to be? Should I pay for the upgrade and get a higher category stateroom on a different deck?

Also, how much storage space is in a K category stateroom? We love to dress so bring about 3 suitcases full of clothes (between us, not each!). We've never had trouble with storage space in Carnival or RCL staterooms. Do we need to pare down for HAL?

Thanks, everyone!

Bel

Greetings, Bel, welcome to the board and to HAL!

My BF is very prone to motion sickness so I always try to get us a cabin on the inside, low deck, midship. My TA could only find a cabin in K category on the Upper Veranda deck, towards the rear of the ship. How bumpy is that going to be? Should I pay for the upgrade and get a higher category stateroom on a different deck?

May I suggest that you have your BF check with his doctor about a prescription for Scopace? It's a fantastic medication that is based on the same drug at "the scop patch" but it is taken orally, which means he has much more control over it's dosage. I have used it in heavy seas and have had no problems. Even when everyone else is green, I'm fine.

As for cabin location, I would suggest upgrading from that K to a partially obscured G category cabin amidships on the upper promenade deck. These are excellent cabins (you can see pictures of them on my website, check the link for my cruise aboard the Noordam this past January). Midships cabins are always best if motion is an issue.

Also, how much storage space is in a K category stateroom? We love to dress so bring about 3 suitcases full of clothes (between us, not each!). We've never had trouble with storage space in Carnival or RCL staterooms. Do we need to pare down for HAL?

You should be fine. 3 bags fit easily under the beds ... even more so if you put bags inside bags (Russian doll style).

Have a blast! The Oosterdam is a lovely ship, and HAL is a great line!

Reverend Greg! Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading your posts and it's always a pleasure.

BF=best friend, sorry about the mixup.

Yes, I will definitely tell her about the Scopace!

She's pretty good on Bonine but there were a couple of times on Glory last year when she was definitely feeling those seas.

So you're thinking we should move midships? We have had good luck with those midship cabins, but usually the ones we get are low in the ship. That seems to help too.

Thanks again for the welcome and the info!

Bel

Archived