Cabin Service

cpdad

I've read a number of member reviews about a variety of ships. Opinions about dining, excursions, costs etc. vary somewhat, except in one area: cabin service. Other than an occasional disappointment, reviewers generally were very pleased with the service they received from their steward/stewardess.

When I stay at a hotel, I rarely ever see the maid, and the maids generally do an adequate job. But if I were writing a hotel review, I would not gush over the quality of the maid. So, there must be something special about the services provided by a steward/stewardess.

My "rookie" question is: what is so special about cabin service that causes reviewers to comment about it?

Thanks.

I've read a number of member reviews about a variety of ships. Opinions about dining, excursions, costs etc. vary somewhat, except in one area: cabin service. Other than an occasional disappointment, reviewers generally were very pleased with the service they received from their steward/stewardess.

When I stay at a hotel, I rarely ever see the maid, and the maids generally do an adequate job. But if I were writing a hotel review, I would not gush over the quality of the maid. So, there must be something special about the services provided by a steward/stewardess.

My "rookie" question is: what is so special about cabin service that causes reviewers to comment about it?

Thanks.

cpdad, unlike a hotel maid, you will get to know your cabin steward. He will introduce himself, be around all the time in the area and will service your cabin at least twice per day. You will be able to find out about where he comes from, his family, whatever. You will want him to come home with you after the cruise.

Thanks.

Your cabin steward is there much more to 'take care of you' than a hotel maid. Think of a steward as somewhere between a maid & a butler.

Our first cruise together was on the Rhapsody of The Seas and we were amazed about our cabin steward. We only saw her once, but know she must have been waiting for us to leave the room each time we left. ha ha. Everytime we used a towel she had replaced it with a fresh one. Our room always looked like when we came back to it. It was wonderful!

It's true--it is totally different than a hotel, as far as "maid" service goes. Only one cruise did we NEVER see our attendant, but the room was always in tip-top shape! Because the attendant works almost non-stop, you will see them whenever you go down your hallway--and they will remember your name and always speak to you! (How these folks can remember everyone's name on every cruise astounds me! I can barely remember my kid's names!!)

What time of the morning does the steward normally come and clean up? It isnt to early is it? Will they tell you when they meet you what time they normally come around or will they ask you when is the best time of the morning?

Danielle

What time of the morning does the steward normally come and clean up? It isnt to early is it? Will they tell you when they meet you what time they normally come around or will they ask you when is the best time of the morning?

Danielle

Just like in a hotel, you can leave a privacy notice on your door. As I recall, they get started around 10 am. If you have a special request about timing, don't be shy about making it; they really do want to take the best care possible of you.

cb at sea: LOL @ kid's names

One of the reasons that the cruise staff does such a great job is the TIP they get at the end of your cruise. I concur with the other posters about the staff's willingness to share their lives. Many have worked on ships for years, and have wonderful stories to tell. By not enjoying them you are missing a portion of the cruising experience and an appreciation of their lives and how hard most have to work.

Archived