Hurricane Dean...Going to Cozumel and Worried!!!

FL_Guy

I am supposed to be leaving on Sept 1st for a 5 night cruise to Costa Maya and Cozumel. It appears the Hurricane Dean will be heading that way. If the storm goes over Cozumel, will they just reschedule us to another port or cancel the cruise altogether? Any previous experiences would be great. Thanks in advance.

Just depends if Coz takes a direct hit and there is extensive damage. No way to know that at this point. They wouldnt cancel the cruise, just go somewhere else. Who knows how many other storms will be in the Atlantic by Sep 1. We are approaching peak cane season. The warm Gulf waters arent helping things.

The reports I show say it is headed towards the Caymans and Jamaica.....but they do sometimes change course. Most likely your itinerary would be affected. They would either change your port stops or stay out in the ocean somewhere away from the storm.

If Dean hits Cozumel it would be by this Monday or Tuesday. 19th or 20th.

Cozumel will work very hard to get things back to normal (Their standards). If the damage is too severe, you will be rerouted to other ports. Usually they will do an Eastern Caribbean route.

Linda

ELVIS WE MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!

I have double worries !!! :eek: I live in South Mississippi and since Katrina any storm in or approaching the Gulf is a worry....PLUS....We are scheduled for a 5 day out of Mobile on August 27....But I am hoping for the best for all of us!!!!!

You're confused, but that's ok since hurricanes can be confusing Hurricanes aren't assigned names in the order that they make landfall, but in the order that their sustained winds reach tropical storm speed. Dean became an organized tropical storm before Erin, but Erin made landfall shortly after becoming a tropical storm.

Erin is currently a tropical depression bringing a foot or more of rain to the Texas gulf coast.

Dean is currently a Category 1 Hurricane set to heavy winds and a moderate storm surge to low lying areas in the virgin islands.

I have double worries !!! :eek: I live in South Mississippi and since Katrina any storm in or approaching the Gulf is a worry....PLUS....We are scheduled for a 5 day out of Mobile on August 27....But I am hoping for the best for all of us!!!!!

You and me both! We're in New Orleans, and we have a cruise scheduled on September 9th. I'm only a tiny bit worried about the cruise - I'm mostly focused on getting through the next 2 months with my home intact and dry!!!

Just in case anyone is interested, there's a website you can go to and track hurricanes.........http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/tracking.asp. Take a look and you can track the lastest hurricane. From what I've seen, they are tracking it to pass under Florida and hit Mexico, possibly Cancun and the Yucatan Peninsula. :eek:

I am supposed to be leaving on Sept 1st for a 5 night cruise to Costa Maya and Cozumel. It appears the Hurricane Dean will be heading that way. If the storm goes over Cozumel, will they just reschedule us to another port or cancel the cruise altogether? Any previous experiences would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hello Destin! Crestview here... I am pretty sure the cruise will not be canceled they will sail around the storm but it will have passed by then if Cozumel gets nailed like it did a few years ago with Wilma, you may have to tender offshore but they will work night and day trying to get back to normal to keep the ships coming in. I sure hate it we are going in Oct. and we often wonder if our stops in the Cayman's Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya will be torn up when we get there. As you are probably aware cruising during Hurricane season is a real adventure. Make the most of it and look at it this way if you get to the original destinations great but, if not then maybe you will end up somewhere else or no where at all. BUT AT ANY RATE MAKE THE MOST OF IT AND KEEP A SENSE OF HUMOR!:D We can not change what may happen and it is safer on the ship than on the Beach!

Have a Wonderful trip!

Lonnie

You and me both! We're in New Orleans, and we have a cruise scheduled on September 9th. I'm only a tiny bit worried about the cruise - I'm mostly focused on getting through the next 2 months with my home intact and dry!!!

I'm right there with ya! I'm in rain soaked Texas, about to float away and all indications look like Dean will enter the Gulf as a cat 5 due to the warm waters. I'm going to the grocery tonight to beat the crowds!

Kim

I would imagine that if the ship could not get to a scheduled port, the excursion costs would be reimbursed?

On a side note, we were on the Fantasy 2 years ago when one of the hurricanes hit southern Florida. It was coming through Miami in Sunday morning while we were leaving Port Canaveral. By noon on Monday the skys darkened and we began running from the hurricane! The captain did a great job to reroute our itenerary. All they did was reverse the scheduled stops. By 7pm that night we had outrun it! We were approximately 10-15 degrees to port all afternoon long! Weird feeling, but the ship did fine. :)

Who knows how many other storms will be in the Atlantic by Sep 1. We are approaching peak cane season. The warm Gulf waters arent helping things.

Exactly.....

We cruise on September 8th and I fully expect at least 2 or 3 tropical storms/hurricanes to make their way through the Caribbean in those 3 weeks.

Once you get to mid-August, pretty much any disturbance coming off the African coast becomes a named storm.

If the first storm in the heart of the season has you worried, 2 weeks in advance, you may not want to book in mid-August to mid-October anymore.

All I worry about is #1, whether here in Charleston is under the cross hairs and #2 whether Port Canaveral is under the cross hairs.

I hope our ports don't get hit, but as long as we can make it to the ship, Carnival will take us somewhere for our 7 days.

Bill

It's so hard to speculate at this point. We are leaving on 8/25 on the Glory. I don't know where the hurricane will go, but I do know one thing, Carnival will take care of their customers and do everything they can to make sure we still have a fabulous cruise.

I was on the Miracle two years ago right as Katrina was coming through. They couldn't get the ship into Tampa - so they took it into Ft. Lauderdale and bussed us all over so that we could still enjoy our cruise. The cruise was fabulous, there were no interruptions, and we visited all ports as scheduled.

Take comfort in knowing that Carnival will work it out. It might not be exactly as planned, but it will still be wonderful. And hey...if you don't like changes due to the weather...then my advice would be to avoid cruising altogether during hurricane season. An altered cruise is better than no cruise at all, right?

We're on the 8/25 Glory sailing, too, and I'm not worried. We were on the Inspiration in 2004 when Hurricane Frances came through. The port of Tampa was closed, but we were kept out of harms way. The captain made sure we were all safe and comfortable. Give me a foo-foo drink and let's SAIL!!:D :D :D

I would imagine that if the ship could not get to a scheduled port, the excursion costs would be reimbursed?

Only if booked through the Cruise lines. If booked on your own, you will have to check with who ever you booked with to see what the policy is.

Thanks for the answer regarding the excursions. We are going mid September to the Western Carribean and I booked a fairly pricey Dolphin encounter for 4. It was through Carnival so.... good news that they will refund if anything happens.

We did book 3 other excursions through private companies. Hopefully the same would apply..... :confused:

we'll, we're going on Mariner of the Seas (western iten) on the 26th of Aug, should i be more worried then you guys going on the 1st? I wasn't at first but now those who are worried even that far out has gotten me worried. Though if we had our iten changed, it wouldn't matter. I've just had my heart set on the Caymans...:(

Well the fun never ends. I knew it going in that there was a risk. But I never imagined that a hurricane would hit the same exact spots I'm going to visit! (W.Caribbean 9/2/07). What luck. Oh well. I cross my fingers that I just make it on the ship--I don't care where the ship goes, just want to be sailing!

I do hope the residents in the hurricane path are ok. We worry about our cruise, but for many of these folks, their livelihood is at stake. I hope they're able to make repairs to welcome the ships back. Poor Cozumel. They're just recovering from Wilma and now look at it. I was affected by Wilma, had booked an AI out of Playa Del Carmen and then everything got canceled.

Let's just pray that the people are ok. Once that storm hits the gulf it's going to be a monster.

Archived