Private Balconies on Valor

durtydancers

Our cruise agent is holding some very nice rooms on the verandah deck of the Valor for us. They are at the very stearn of the boat, just under the lido deck, but we have some questions.

Our last cruise was on Holland America's Zuiderdam, and the balconies on the aft end were anything but private. They were open to full view from the lido deck (so much for that all over tan). They also seemed to catch a lot of the litter from the decks above, and at times while underway the smoke from the stack funneled directly down on them.

Does anyone have any experience with these staterooms? We realize they are nice big balconies with a great view, but moot point if you can't use them.

Thanks

dd

Our cruise agent is holding some very nice rooms on the verandah deck of the Valor for us. They are at the very stearn of the boat, just under the lido deck, but we have some questions.

Our last cruise was on Holland America's Zuiderdam, and the balconies on the aft end were anything but private. They were open to full view from the lido deck (so much for that all over tan). They also seemed to catch a lot of the litter from the decks above, and at times while underway the smoke from the stack funneled directly down on them.

Does anyone have any experience with these staterooms? We realize they are nice big balconies with a great view, but moot point if you can't use them.

Thanks

dd

All aft cabins have the same risks ! :eek:

93853128svWgyq_th.jpg

the people above you can look down on you while standing at your railing.

the people next to you can look to the side and see you as the dividers all site at an angle.

the side balconies-- the dividers go from floor to ceiling but people next door can lean on their railing and see into the balcony next door.

I dont really think that any balcony on a cruise ship is very private.

Lets not even discuss the various security cams onboard.

Always avoid aft balconies!!!!!!!!!!

Soot a foot deep every morning. Ruins every article of clothing you have.

No worry about peepers from above, you'll be so covered in soot, cigarette butts, coffee cups and half eaten sandwiches no one will see a thing.

Smoke so thick you can't see the ocean.

Vibrations so bad your vision will be blurred for weeks after the cruise. Movement so bad you'll be tossed out of your bed against the ceiling [overhead in seafarin' terms] of your cabin. Broken bones are commonplace.

A VERY BRAVE few of us always volunteer to stay in aft balconies so the rest don't have to endure the horrible tortures of these horror chambers.

Leave them for us BRAVE SOULS......................

Dan

WOW!! My husband and I will be staying in an aft in 10 days now on Valor for our two year anniversary. I have heard such great things about them that as I was reading your post I got more and more panicked!! LOL...I guess we will have to be strong while we spend a week on vacation.:D

I'm sorry, Dan, are you being helpful or sarcastic? The horrors you mention are pretty much exactly what we saw on the Zuiderdam, at least when we'd look off the aft lido deck down on top of the balconies there. They did seem to catch all the straws and cigarette butts and whatnot. I was just wondering if that was that ships particular configuration - and it was famous for propeller shake, by the way. I was hoping someone that had actually been on the Valor could confirm or deny my reservations about aft balconies.

And, I realize no balconies are completely "private." But, curious neighbors are a bit different than everyone being able to look over you shoulder.

dd

You could experince a shuddering-- if you hit rough waters they need to speed up a bit so you "MIGHT" feel it..

But you are gonna feel that shuddering no matter where you are.

I have yet to feel it== except one night on the VICTORY.

The aft is my favorite place and stayed there quite a few cruises now.

I prefer my aft balcony closer to the waters though and never had one under the lido deck

Archived