How important is a tuxedo?

loobylouuk

Hi have never cruised PO before and although i have the required dress my husband has always only ever worn a suit and tie on formal nights

It has always been acceptable.....i think!.........well no-one told us to go back to our cabin or anything!:D :D ..but poers do seem to frown upon this.

Is it really that important? do some men wear just smart suits? indeed are there passengers that don't bother at all to dress up?

Lou

Hi have never cruised PO before and although i have the required dress my husband has always only ever worn a suit and tie on formal nights

It has always been acceptable.....i think!.........well no-one told us to go back to our cabin or anything!:D :D ..but poers do seem to frown upon this.

Is it really that important? do some men wear just smart suits? indeed are there passengers that don't bother at all to dress up?

Lou

Hi Lou

Frown, Frown, Frown There a P&O type has frowned on your suggestion:D

On formal nights between 95% and 99% of men will wear a DJ. You do not have to!!!!! A smart suit will do fine.

However You can pick up a DJ quite cheaply and it is nice to feel smart and DJ's are generally lighter than lounge suits so are more comfortable anyway. If you like cruising you are always going to get good wear out of a DJ whichever cruiseline you use.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Hi I agree with DiaB if you enjoy cruising invest in a DJ for your hubby

I love wearing mine I always feel great in it I'm a regular Pando cruiser and would confirm that 95% - 99% of passengers wear a DJ for Formal nights

Its one of the reasons I like pando people make the effort.

I'm off on the Aurora for a weekend break 2nd September and will be taking my DJ for the fomal night

A tip for you M&S do a great line in DJ's at a very reasonable price I have had mine 3 years now and feel it has been great value

Happy cruising

I did my first P&O cruise on Aurora about 3 /4 years ago after 10/11 cruises on RCCL and NCL where I had always worn a dark suit on formal nights. I was in the 1% and felt completely out of place. I went home and bought a DJ and have used it every cruise since then and love getting dressed up in it.

I agree with Dai too i would say 95% men wore a tux on our cruise june/july this year - in other words on our 2nd sitting upper floor I saw about 3 or four men out of 400 odd in a suit. Now my hubbie doesn't like to stand out , so he bought a tux about 3-4 weeks before our cruise (he wasn't going too - we booked a year in advance and for the first 10 months he was saying no no no!!:D ) If you have a SLATERS MENSWEAR near you (google and look, they have lots of branches across UK) Do go there. they have a formal section which is very large and have tuxs from £40 TO £499 !! If you think crusiing s going to be a long term addiction - which it usually is - it is worth buying a tux. We have since been on 3 cruises, with 3 more booked. The Venice cruise alone next year will have 5 formal nights - so 5 more outings alone then for the tux. compare that to a lounge suit which may only come out for weddings and funerals - it is a wise investment if you think you will cruise often.

Soletred do say hello to me if you see me on Aurora 2 weeks today - you know what I look like from my Avator picture, but I'm afraid I don't know what you look like... have you a piccie on net?

Libra

I would also mention that you will see a number of men wearing medals too.

On the Captain's coctail party to which ALL the passengers are invited many of the officers are present and mingle with the passengers. On the Connie we only was the department heads on the stage.

True on the Connie we got a welcome onboard glass of Champagne but on P&O we got more than one on the cocktail party. It is on a formal night so the officers are also wearing 'Mess Undress' with medals if applicable. Far grander than on Connie!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

My husband has informed me that he intends to buy a tux now that you guys have said how important it is..............so i reckon a donation of about £50 quid each should cover it:D :D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

A dark suit, white shirt and a nice tie is perfectly acceptable. I have seen very few tux or DJs on my cruises.

Clearly you have not been on a P&O cruise, or indeed looked at this thread.:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

I think it depends where you are sailing from. Taking a DJ means taking two suits, fine if are leaving from Southampton or on a schedule flight but on P&O charter flights weight limits are very stingy.

If I have to wear dresses twice then Hubby can wear his dark suit a few times :)

I think it depends where you are sailing from. Taking a DJ means taking two suits, fine if are leaving from Southampton or on a schedule flight but on P&O charter flights weight limits are very stingy.

If I have to wear dresses twice then Hubby can wear his dark suit a few times :)

Hi Elaine,

the only fly cruises P&O do are the Caribbean and sectors of the world cruises. For the latter arrangements can be made to get your luggage to the ship at Southampton and then pick it up when you join the ship so weight is not a problem.

For the Caribbean there is not a problem as there are no 'Informal' nights, therefore hubby does not need a lounge suit only his DJ for the 4 'Formal' nights.

It is understood that P&O changed the dress codes because of the weight limits on the flights.

My DJ's are much lighter than my other suits so I prefer to go 'Formal'

Dai

Rocketman

What cruises are you talking about then? As Dai says, surely not p&o ones?? Do tell where you have seen 'hardly any tuxs'?? Ocean Village? Island, ? This is a p&O cruiseline section, and I can assure you on my last cruise 95% men were in tux on formal night.:confused:

Libra

Dai, as first I thought you were wrong until I noticed that you said the rule had changed.

Is this the thin edge of the wedge? How about Tuxedo's optonal for US, Aust, NZ passengers flying to Europe etc? :(

We weighed in at just 32kg for our 14-day Caribbean. Mrs PN is not noted for minimal packing but we managed a suit and two DJs as well as the inevitable heap of shoes.

Our allowance had been 50kg and we almost came a cropper as we did not realise the single case limit was 32kg!

Dai, as first I thought you were wrong until I noticed that you said the rule had changed.

Is this the thin edge of the wedge? How about Tuxedo's optonal for US, Aust, NZ passengers flying to Europe etc? :(

We weighed in at just 32kg for our 14-day Caribbean. Mrs PN is not noted for minimal packing but we managed a suit and two DJs as well as the inevitable heap of shoes.

Our allowance had been 50kg and we almost came a cropper as we did not realise the single case limit was 32kg!

Interestingly over on the P&O CC site there was little adverse reaction to the change when it was brought in 2/3 yeas ago.

Logically apart from saving weight there is no reason for not having informal as the temperature is the same in the ship wherever you are and at any time of year.

Dai

Packing for our Celebrity cruise (Galaxy, from Civitavecchia) this summer was very hard. They still have formal, informal & casual nights, so the DJ + two dress shirts, the suit + 3 shirts + stuff for casual nights all had to go in the suitcase.

Never mind, we said, we're flying BA and they allow 23 kgs. Well, they do, but at the last minute we remembered that we were flying home with Lufthansa, and they only allow 20 kgs! Agh! panic, panic, panic....

Well we did it but it was hard work, and of course the whole business of flying was a hassle.

Next year we're cruising from the UK, we said, and here we are - two P&O cruises booked.

So have I got this right on P&O in the Caribbean they only have formal and casual nights. DJ and saris for formal and anything we like for casual, that will make packing simple

Quite correct,

14 night cruise - 4 Formal - 10 Smart Casual, at least one of which will be tropical night. ie LOOOUUUD SHIRTS:eek:, party on deck etc.:D

:)Happy cruising:)

Dai

Thats the main reason I cruise from Southampton. We are both heavy packers, the weight restrictian would be a nightmare for us.

Southampton is just 2 hours away as well, its so easy! And free car parking next year ....

Sue

Archived