Suite Perks and what is the Neptune Lounge?

If members don't have any experience cruising in a suite and getting the perks that follow, why do they feel the need to offer their opinions on a subject they know nothing about? Especially with such sarcasm. This happens too often on this site and I don't understand the reasoning behind it or the prejudice against people who want to cruise and spend the extra $5,000, $10,000 or $20,000. We loved the Neptune lounge and took advantage of what they had to offer. We also enjoyed our spacious cabin and our balcony. We enjoyed spending the private time together in our own space as we cruised Alaska, and we're happy that we did not have to resort to the public areas of the ship to fully experience our cruise. There is nothing better than sitting in your bathrobe with some cappuccino watching whales feed. Our suite allowed us to have the vacation that we wanted, and we loved it.

The only real advantage I see is the larger stateroom.

We were actually near the Neptune Lounge and I never saw any adult go in or out, just some children with food. It looked dark. It's in the middle of the floor, so no windows.

Perhaps the Neptune would be something I would use on a transatlantic ot cruise with more sea days.

I don't know how close you could have been to the NL if you were not in a suite as it is located in the middle of the suite area. Surely not close enough to have a clue, considering your description. There are adults going in and out all day and rarely children. Not only are adults there for breakfast and snacks throughout the day, but for meeting with the concierge for a myriad of reasons. Dark? Perhaps you walked by after 8:30 pm?

Using the NL has nothing to do with sea days. Right after returning from ports is one of the busiest times in the NL. I think the problem is you don't really know a thing about the NL or the suite perks and are offering opinions that have no basis in fact.

To the best of my knowledge each cabin gets robes for everyone. Not sure about slippers.

COST OF SUITES:

You can take two cruises in a suite or 3 cruises in in Verandah cabin. The choice is up to the purchasers.

For many years we we always in A or B level cabins and then we realized that the extra expense was worth it and the only thing we would do with the extra money is leave it to our children.....

The Penthouse is nice to try once but it is a little much for us....

Ruth and Jim

There are adults going in and out all day and rarely children. Not only are adults there for breakfast and snacks throughout the day, but for meeting with the concierge for a myriad of reasons. Dark? Perhaps you walked by after 8:30 pm?

Using the NL has nothing to do with sea days. Right after returning from ports is one of the busiest times in the NL.

I agree...we used the NL a lot (and loved the other perks). There were never crowds, but never did I see children coming and going from the NL by themselves. And it was never dark...except before or after hours.

I think ALL modes of cruising are PERSONAL choices. HAL suits us just fine -we ADORE the Indonesian and Filipino crew members. I've never had a massage in my LIFE -We like wine [ and Dick the occasional Marguerita or Bloody Mary] in moderation -we walk a lot in ports and fill in with tours only when its a special place......and, yes - we cruised HAPPILY in a Suite for the Grand World Cruise this year. Our next cruise won't be until fall 2008. Those are ALL choices. Both of us are AVID readers and spend a LOT of time -HAPPILY in our room -together. IF I needed to go BACK to an outside or Balcony???? NO problem. Sure -I'd miss the NL -but I'd find another venue for visiting with people. I COULD do it- EASILY......I seldom am concerned WHERE anybody else sleeps/ and our CC get-togethers have ALL been FUN. It isn't my concern how much anybody paid or how big THEIR room is - They are acquaintances because of our SHARED interest in computers. SHARED interests often determine friendships - NOT how much money they either HAVE or CLAIM to have; who cares?

The BIGGEST "perk" folks, is cruising at ALL -we're ON a ship; THAT'S all that matters! I worked for 40 years to GET to "this" point, as did my DH - No; I'm NEVER "bored" on a ship, I'm also NEVER seasick [ I'm lucky that way] Cruising is simply the BEST of adventures. Its the FRIENDS; its the PORTS; Its the DIFFERENT parts of our wonderful WORLD....The REST? Window dressing!

Anne

If members don't have any experience cruising in a suite and getting the perks that follow, why do they feel the need to offer their opinions on a subject they know nothing about? We loved the Neptune lounge and took advantage of what they had to offer. We also enjoyed our spacious cabin and our balcony. Our suite allowed us to have the vacation that we wanted, and we loved it.

I'm with you...we loved our suite and all the perks that went along with it. And I do agree...if you've not experienced something how can you offer an opinion? It would be like me recommending (or not) a cruise on Princess. We've not been on that line...so I couldn't really voice my opinion one way or the other.

Shoe sizes

When you are checking in that mat that you are standing on automatically records you shoe sizes and text messagfes it to the cabin stewart so he can leave the correct sized slippers for you.

Ruth and Jim

AHA! At last the answer I was looking for!! You'd best believe I'm going to look down at that mat when I'm checking in ... lolol ...

Thanks for making me laugh out loud. It's a nice change from some of the more serious posts here....

Best

Carol

I do agree. It's up to each of us where we want to be on a ship, and why...beyond that, who cares. At least we have choices. :)

I agree, Twinkletoes. My mother always told me that everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

Having said that, I won't judge people's choices in cabins, if they don't judge mine ....

AHA! At last the answer I was looking for!! You'd best believe I'm going to look down at that mat when I'm checking in ... lolol ...

Thanks for making me laugh out loud. It's a nice change from some of the more serious posts here....

Best

Carol

LOL...That was good...and I completely missed that one until I read your post. :)

;) I think every cabin gets robes, fruit, flowers, etc. even the inside ones.

They do. However, the thing I noticed when I stayed in a veranda stateroom on a cruise last October is that the inside cabins get the waffle style robes, while the better accommodations get the terry cloth ones.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No flowers in the inside cabins (unless we buy our own, or have a gift from the TA :rolleyes: ). We do get the robes and fruit, however.

That's strange. I seem to recall having flowers. Now I'm not talking about anything elaborate ... just a small plastic vase with a bud or two in it. It may have been sitting on the dresser.

Blue skies ...

--rita

They do. However, the thing I noticed when I stayed in a veranda stateroom on a cruise last October is that the inside cabins get the waffle style robes, while the better accommodations get the terry cloth ones.

Blue skies ...

--rita

On our last cruise our suite also had the waffle type robes. The terry cloth ones were much to warm for the carribean, and I was very glad to see that they'd switched to the waffle material.

We had the Suite luncheon on the last sea day of out 7-day Oosterdam cruise. I was amazed at how many people showed up. It was quite nice.

We have also purchased HAL robes and wear them year round. I love mine. It's the best robe I've ever had.

I like the coffee and juice in the NL - it's so easy and accessible. The staff cannot do enough for you! I wanted to have a Suite party in our cabin and they sent out all the invites, arranged everything and helped set up, gave me CD's for music - it was fantastic.

For us, it's really the only way to go now. We've cruised in almost all categories, except SS - and though S is rarely discounted, it can be once in awhile - and I'll usually jump on it. :)

I haven't seen the terry cloth robes is a couple of years. I believe everyone gets the waffle style. I like them much better for hot weather cruises. :)

I agree, Twinkletoes. My mother always told me that everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

Having said that, I won't judge people's choices in cabins, if they don't judge mine ....

LOL...It looks like we posted at exactly the same time! :)

Your mother and you are wise women! :)

That's strange. I seem to recall having flowers. Now I'm not talking about anything elaborate ... just a small plastic vase with a bud or two in it. It may have been sitting on the dresser.

Could your TA have sent them? Or maybe you got some from HAL and I just never did? :confused:

In 23 HAL cruises I've had flowers three times: in '94 my husband bought a small arrangement in Bergen; in '95 he gave me a dozen roses when he (finally!) caught up with the ship in Costa Rica; in '07 my TA sent a pretty arrangement.

That's it.

Wonder if they'd notice if I took some from the Lido table? ;)

Could your TA have sent them? Or maybe you got some from HAL and I just never did? :confused:

In 23 HAL cruises I've had flowers three times: in '94 my husband bought a small arrangement in Bergen; in '95 he gave me a dozen roses when he (finally!) caught up with the ship in Costa Rica; in '07 my TA sent a pretty arrangement.

That's it.

Wonder if they'd notice if I took some from the Lido table? ;)

Ruth -

When our kids have a different cabin than ours, the only flowers come from our TA and from the room service tray...

Our DD takes the vase off the room tray and keeps it - a couple times the cabin steward replaced them with fresher flowers for her. :)

BUT, he also picks up her clothes... arranges her stuffed animals, puts the iPod in the charger etc. - oh, and gives her extra pillow chocolates.... so she's gotten a bit spoiled. ;)

BUT, he also picks up her clothes... arranges her stuffed animals, puts the iPod in the charger etc. - oh, and gives her extra pillow chocolates.... so she's gotten a bit spoiled. ;)

That's the cabin steward I want every single cruise!

That's the cabin steward I want every single cruise!

LOL!!! I alwyas feel bad for the steward assigned to their room, but he always does a great job and I don't have to listen to, "Mom, where did you put my shorts and FLIP - FLOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

So, we tip him well. He deserves it.

When the choice is cruising in suites or leaving the money to our kids we choose to cruise in the suites......

They are worth it and we have earned the privlidge over many years of hard work, saving, and forgoing a lot of things so that we would have the funds to retire and enjoy ourselves.....

Ruth and Jim

I haven't seen the terry cloth robes is a couple of years. I believe everyone gets the waffle style. I like them much better for hot weather cruises. :)

We had the terry robes in a Veranda stateroom on the Amsterdam last October. However, those were the ones for our use in the cabin. The ones (brand new, still in plastic) that our travel agent purchased for us were the waffle style robes. Guess they were considerably cheaper. We had the option of taking them to the front desk in the first few days of the cruise to have them monogramed at no charge. Instead, we took them to the front desk to see if we could convert them into onboard credit. No way were we lugging those things home on an airplane! I think they converted to $45 onboard credit each.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't know how close you could have been to the NL if you were not in a suite as it is located in the middle of the suite area. Surely not close enough to have a clue, considering your description. There are adults going in and out all day and rarely children. Not only are adults there for breakfast and snacks throughout the day, but for meeting with the concierge for a myriad of reasons. Dark? Perhaps you walked by after 8:30 pm?

Using the NL has nothing to do with sea days. Right after returning from ports is one of the busiest times in the NL. I think the problem is you don't really know a thing about the NL or the suite perks and are offering opinions that have no basis in fact.

We were in a forward VA on deck 7 (Westerdam) and had to walk by the NL to get anywhere including the stairs or elevator. We never saw any adult walk in or out in 10 days. This included being up at 6:00am, going to the gym and coming back and getting ready to go on a shore excursion, coming back to our cabin after an excursion before going anywhere else and going back to our cabin before and after dinner (before going to a show). I honestly think it may be used less in a port intensive Mediterranean cruise. I am just reporting what I saw on MY cruise.

We never had a line for embarkation (walked right on), or at any time getting on and off the ship. Again, this may be specific to this cruise (although we never had any line in Alaska either).

You may be confusing me with another poster who may have been a bit sarcastic about the umbrellas. And then again, I posted my opinion that even if given a big umbrella, I would not carry one that size off a ship. I also stated that I thought the advantage of a Suite was the actual size of the stateroom and the balcony (since on HAL - unlike other lines like Celebrity - all guests get robes, Elemis bath products, a tote bag, and room service breakfast) and that it my opinion.

Archived