18 days Transatlantic cruise. What to expect ?

FromBrazil

Hi cruiser fellows. I became cruise addict last year, with my first cruise at Mariner of the Seas. Instead of getting more experience, I jump into a 18 days transatlantic cruise, from Venice/Italy to Brazil next november with MSC. MSC cruises reviews apart ( most are bad that I hope turns to be inaccurate ), I'd like know if anyone could share experiences with me, like:

1) How many formal nights usually do you have in a 18 days cruise ? :confused: :confused:

2) Is the attire ( day and night ) more casual due to the long duration of the cruise ? How to get ready for such long journey ?!?!?!?! :eek:

3) 5 days at the sea are forecasted. Do you get yourself "bored" ? Is Seasickness more common ? Rough seas ? Relax..what do do ? :p

4) How does the quality of the food and menu are different ( to better or worse ) from a standard 7 days cruise where the options mostly change every day/night ? ;) ;)

Again, I'm not trying to find specific answers only to MSC past cruisers and more to overall experiences, on those topics above, from past cruisers on at least 2-3 week long cruises.

Thanks for your attention on reading and time spent to answer.

FromBrazil

You will find that many seasoned cruisers take a transatlantic cruise because they enjoy the days at sea and also the long time on a cruise ship.

1) How many formal nights usually do you have in a 18 days cruise ?

We have had between four and five formal nights on these length cruises but obviously this varies by cruise line.

2) Is the attire ( day and night ) more casual due to the long duration of the cruise ? How to get ready for such long journey ?!?!?!?!

With less days in port I would not say less casual. I would say just as dressy or even a little bit more so than a port intensive cruise.

3) 5 days at the sea are forecasted. Do you get yourself "bored" ? Is Seasickness more common ? Rough seas ? Relax..what do do ?

Never got bored. There are lots of activities depending on cruise line. We have found lots of lectures, and other events from cooking demonstations to wine tasting to trivia to bingo to sports activities and so forth. And a great way to spend more time with fellow cruises.

Like any cruise this can vary but you have a higher probabiity of more choppy seas particularly on the northern route.

We just come prepared for that. This type of cruise is also a good one to try to get a cabin on mid deck.

4) How does the quality of the food and menu are different ( to better or worse ) from a standard 7 days cruise where the options mostly change every day/night ?

On the cruise line that we primarily sail on there is minimlar repetition. They adjust what is served based on the length of the cruise. And even some repeat items are good so you can enjoy and item you know you like or try one that you didn't have. But again, we saw different dinner menus every evening.

We have enjoyed the crossings. But, you can encounter some choppy seas so think that through if you are very bothered by the seas.

Keith

On MSC you will have three formal nights. I've found crossings to be more dressy than cruises that are short and more port intensive. Daytime wear is the same no matter the length of cruise, but evenings do tend to be a little more dressy. There will be plenty of activities for the sea days, so don't worry, you won't be bored. I recently did a 17 day crossing where 16 of them were sea days.

I can only inform you about the one MSC ship I sailed on. I always tell people who ask me that the Entertainment staff on the ship I sailed on , Synphonia, worked harder than on any ship I have sailed on. They tried to make everyone join in everything if they could. So it will not be their fault if you get bored. :)

People did "Dress Up" , but not so many of the Ballgown type styles, nor tuxs.

Archived