White suit for formal night???

supernanny

He's a young man of twenty, he has a particular image of himself on a cruise, so work with him on it. Hey, he and I watch Miami CSI, we know that all the cool guys with the hot chicks wear white!!

As others have pointed out you'll see everything and nothing on a cruise in the way of attire, especially on formal nights. At least he's making the effort. Who knows, he may get home and never wear it again depending on where you live, but cruises are extra special right?

Some cruises I might take both a tux and a dinner jacket, and at times I'm the only man at the table in formal wear. So be it, I dress for my wife and myself. My first Carnival Cruise is approaching, who knows, it might be the only tux on the ship.

Some cruises I might take both a tux and a dinner jacket, and at times I'm the only man at the table in formal wear. So be it, I dress for my wife and myself. My first Carnival Cruise is approaching, who knows, it might be the only tux on the ship.

Exactly how we feel. Some cruises we dress up to the hilt and some we don't even take formal wear. When we do dress in tux and formals, DH & I do it for each other. Don't care what anyone else on the ship thinks or does.

When we chose to wear less dressier clothes on formal night, we do it for each other to give us a break . We really don't care what the dress police think.

Dianne

My 20 year old son wants to buy a white suit instead of a black one.

From a purely practical point of view, a white suit is about the most impractical purchase he could make. Unless he has money to burn or already owns a wide assortment of suits, a dark navy or a charcoal grey is the best use of his money as they are the most versatile suit colors by far.

From a purely practical point of view, a white suit is about the most impractical purchase he could make. Unless he has money to burn or already owns a wide assortment of suits, a dark navy or a charcoal grey is the best use of his money as they are the most versatile suit colors by far.

We're talking about a 20-yr-old guy who doesn't care about practicality right now. he wants to make a statement on a cruise coming up and if he can afford a white suit to make the statement he wants to make -- then he should do it.

Dianne

I think the white suit is a great idea! I'm really not on board with the black shirt but I'm nowhere close to 20 anymore. But, I have to tell you that I'm driving my DW crazy asking for a white dinner jacket for Christmas. Mainly for cruising. So, I'm all down with the white and black thing...sort of.

I think the white suit is a great idea! I'm really not on board with the black shirt but I'm nowhere close to 20 anymore. But, I have to tell you that I'm driving my DW crazy asking for a white dinner jacket for Christmas. Mainly for cruising. So, I'm all down with the white and black thing...sort of.

The originals were wool and an Ivory White, new ones may be a pure white blend. I have the ivory and match it with an ivory shirt as pure white looks a bit off. Something for your DW to keep in mind.

Love the dinner jackets, they are light weight and perfect for formal occasions in our Texas heat, or for cruising the Caribbean.

The originals were wool and an Ivory White, new ones may be a pure white blend. I have the ivory and match it with an ivory shirt as pure white looks a bit off. Something for your DW to keep in mind.

Love the dinner jackets, they are light weight and perfect for formal occasions in our Texas heat, or for cruising the Caribbean.

You're absolutely right. We knew that Ivory was the more formal color. Two considerations: the James Bond movies over the years have mainstreamed the white jacket so much and the headwaiters on RCI ships seem to wear the Ivory. So, the last thing I want to have happen is to be mistaken for a headwaiter on formal night.:eek: Overwhelmingly, I would wear the jacket more on cruises. So, we're leaning toward the white. Of course, that is IF she gets that for me at Christmas. Not sure if she's getting the hint yet:D .

I am sorry but I have to disagree with most of you. A white suit is not very formal to me. In fact some cruiselines state tux or dark suit for formal night dress for men. In my opinion, a white suit would be fine for an informal/semiformal night.

The pictures shown, even though the men looked great - they did not look formal.

A 20 year old is an adult. Even if he is in college, he will get more wear out of a dark suit as he will need one when he goes out on job interviews.

As far as dinner jackets go, we have seen a lot of winter white (not quite as dark as ivory - but definitely an off-white)- pure white looks something from the 60's.

Have to agree that the so-called white suits or outfits which have been pictured have nothing to do with formal wear and it's hard to imagine why it's considered that. In spite of how drop dead gorgeous some of these guys look, the suits are still considered casual wear and adding a dark colored shirt makes it even more casual. This outfit would be suitable for casual or dressy nights on board as the previous poster suggested.

Cruise dress codes generally specify that what's acceptable for men on formal night is a dark suit or tux. The while dinner jacket worn with black trousers is another form of tuxedo wear that is usually worn in tropical or warmer climates.

Well, after reading these posts, I had to pull out (er, find) my wedding album...back in 1985 I had my husband wear a white tuxedo to marry me in. He had white tux, white shoes, white bow-tie, etc. I must say in 2007 the pictures still look hot hot hot and still look formal to me. Keep in mind though that John Travolta and Richard Gere are two of my favorite actors. Remember Saturday Night Fever and An Officer and a Gentleman?

It does remind me of a cruise I was on years ago...in the disco late-night and all the single gals were swarming an officer wearing white. The funny part to me was that the officer was in my mind was not attractive. The most beautiful gal on the ship ended up dancing with him. I overheard a guy nearby state to his buddies, "Well, I guess that is the secret to getting the hot chicks...wear a white suit...no matter if you have a huge gut, are homely and are too old for hot chicks...I think I am going to wear a white suit next cruise!"

Another guy who got all the hot chicks dancing with him on a different cruise ship was a 14 year old male...wearing a white suit. He was with his family but I remember everyone falling in love with him.

Moral of everything so far: If the guy is hot, he can wear just about anything and get away with it (as the guy wearing checkered shirt and striped tie pictured above). If the guy is not, then a white tuxedo or suit will get more response than black ones. Get a hot guy in a white suit...I say va-va-va-voom! I am still married to the same guy!

Therefore, your son will be just fine in whatever he wears!

Coka

Archived