White suit for formal night???

supernanny

We are taking the family to the caribbean in February. My 20 year old son (tall, thin, very handsome) wants to buy a white suit instead of a black one. Is this ok for formal night?? He also wants to wear a black shirt, black shoes, I guess kind of reverse color? I'm not so sure about that, lol I thought maybe a light colored shirt would look nicer. Too promish??? He is a knockout in whatever he wears, but I don't want him to be totally out of place. :eek: Any input is appreciated!

but then he was gorrrgeous..and I'm sure your guy will be too. Still suit and tie..a formal look in my book. you might think of dressing in the same scheme wha ever he chooses..Hubby and I did that..great pic too

We are taking the family to the caribbean in February. My 20 year old son (tall, thin, very handsome) wants to buy a white suit instead of a black one. Is this ok for formal night?? He also wants to wear a black shirt, black shoes, I guess kind of reverse color? I'm not so sure about that, lol I thought maybe a light colored shirt would look nicer. Too promish??? He is a knockout in whatever he wears, but I don't want him to be totally out of place. :eek: Any input is appreciated!

I have seen numerous "outfits" on males on formal night; Kilts, uniforms, African suits, Tux with Bermuda shorts, etc. I think, if he can afford this suit and will get some wear out of it for other occasions, then he should buy it and the black shirt & tie with black shoes. I don't think a light shade shirt will accent the suit properly though.

Have a great time on your family cruise.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

I have seen numerous "outfits" on males on formal night; Kilts, uniforms, African suits, Tux with Bermuda shorts, etc. I think, if he can afford this suit and will get some wear out of it for other occasions, then he should buy it and the black shirt & tie with black shoes. I don't think a light shade shirt will accent the suit properly though.

Have a great time on your family cruise.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Add to that the occasional tuxedo that would make Liberace proud.
liberace6.jpg

Charlie

Sorry, but I think a black, or any other dark shirt with a white suit is tacky. Maybe John Travolta could get away with it but he was not wearing a white suit to a formal affair, it was a teenage dance club. Not sure you would see white suit, black tie considered formal in GQ.

But, if your son insists, there's not much you can do.

I truly cannot recall ever anyone (save for the occasional very senior citizen) dressed in a white suit for formal night. IMO, the dark shoes and shirt would not be very attractive if he chooses to go that route. Would he really get further use out of this outfit? Seems like a lot of expense to me for something not offering much wearability.

JMO but I would vote no.

My question would be...How can you stop a 20 year old from buying something he likes? Unless of course you are paying for it.

Is it something I think is practical? No. Could you persuade him even to buy a tan, if he's really looking for light colors? He must have a certain "picture" in his mind of how people dress on cruises. Are there any formal family pictures posted on this website that might give him some "mainstream" ideas? I personally don't go to those threads.

I'd guess he too he is a creative type person? I have a niece who dresses quite "avant gard". Always surprises me. So..I guess I'd try to persuade him to think dark. And if you fail..well no harm done.

The black shirt and shoes not my favorite either.....Even a medium brown or that cobalt blue shirt would work better for me. Tan shoes...not black.

This is a great fun post. Let us know what he ends up with, PLEASE!!

I'm 60 yrs. old and been on about 18 cruises so far. Have raised 3 kids and now raising grandchildren.

I say a 20-yr-old guy who wants to wear a white suit, black shirt and black shoes on a cruise will look just fine and congratulate him for wanting to break the mold of what is normally worn.

Back in the very old days when I was in school, white dinner jackets were all the rage at school proms. I always thought they made the guys look great.

I hope the OP posts a pic of her son in his suit on the cruise.

Dianne

I'm 60 yrs. old and been on about 18 cruises so far. Have raised 3 kids and now raising grandchildren.

I say a 20-yr-old guy who wants to wear a white suit, black shirt and black shoes on a cruise will look just fine and congratulate him for wanting to break the mold of what is normally worn.

Back in the very old days when I was in school, white dinner jackets were all the rage at school proms. I always thought they made the guys look great.

I hope the OP posts a pic of her son in his suit on the cruise.

Dianne

White dinner jackets looked great "back when" and they still look great today but they're a whole different story than a white suit and black shirt. White dinner jackets have stood the test of time.

Friend of mine has a son who insisted on wearing a peach leisure suit to an affair. Now that he's 40 he looks at those pictures and says "Mom, why did you let me do that"? :o

White dinner jackets looked great "back when" and they still look great today but they're a whole different story than a white suit and black shirt. White dinner jackets have stood the test of time.

Friend of mine has a son who insisted on wearing a peach leisure suit to an affair. Now that he's 40 he looks at those pictures and says "Mom, why did you let me do that"? :o

We're talking about the 21st Century and a 20-yr-old wants to wear a white suit, black shirt and black shoes on a cruise ship. Some say here that he would look like John Travolta. Others say it just isn't acceptable.

I'm saying, go for it.

I'd rather see a 20-yr-old thinking about what he wants to wear to formal night than seeing so many 20-, 30-, 40- and older men not caring what they wear at all.

It is the 21st Century and let the young men of this century set their own fashion trend.

Young men in the 70's thought they looked dashing in leisure suits. I think I like a white suit and black shirt much better.:D

Dianne

Young men in the 70's thought they looked dashing in leisure suits.

Dianne

That's exactly what I'm trying to get across. What you may think is the height of fashion now may very well seem ridiculous down the road, which is why it's better to go with a classic look. Of course, what classifies as classic is subject to the individual's opinion and not necessarily what consitutes the accepted norm. I'm sure the lad in question will wear what he feels is right for him and that's certainly his choice. ;)

supernanny: You asked the question: "too promish??" Since you posed the question, you must have felt that way.

In my estimation, the white suit, etc. looks too costume-like and I have always felt sorry for the man who had to wear one to get married in. Then you have the black shoes which don't go well with the white pants. Nope, the whole look is wrong and years from now he'll look at the photos and.....yikes!

Young men in the 70's thought they looked dashing in leisure suits.

Dianne

That's exactly what I'm trying to get across. What you may think is the height of fashion now may very well seem ridiculous down the road, which is why it's better to go with a classic look. Of course, what classifies as classic is subject to the individual's opinion and not necessarily what consitutes the accepted norm. I'm sure the lad in question will wear what he feels is right for him and that's certainly his choice. ;)

My husband was a young man in the 70s and he did look quite dashing in his leisure suite at the time. he had a much larger mustache at the time. My kids and their kids enjoy looking at those older pics. Never once did they say DH looked goofy in the photos.

20 years from now if styles change, pics of DH & I at formal night on cruise ships will most likely seem out of place and ancient to our grandchildren and great grandchildren to come. Styles change over the years.

I'm hoping our grandchildren will look at the photos we're getting now on these cruise ships and have an idea of what their grandparents and great grandparents looked like in days when we really got dressed to the hilt and have some udnerstanding of the era when we tripped the light fantastic on cruise ships that these kids of the future will only know from the photos taken now.

For all of you who think a white suit, black shirt and black shoes isn't acceptable, get a grip. Take a look down your own history lane via photos.

Bet you all can look at some photos and say, ``Look what we wore back then,'' and then smile very broadly while you remember all the good memories from the clothes you were wearing at the time.

Dianne

I HAVE a grip. On formal night, my grandchildren will see pictures of me in a formal gown and my husband in a black tuxedo, the same formal attire that has ALWAYS been considered formal.

That being said, the 20 year old can wear whatever he wants. Mother asked for opinions, and varied that they are, that's what everyone is giving. :)

I just looked at my daughter's prom picture (April 07) and her boyfriend wore a white tux with a yellow shirt and white shoes. I guess white is back. If he wants to wear it, go for it. By the way, her boyfriend was 20 at that time.

image345.jpg

That looks pretty darn good to me too! The suit isn't bad either...hee hee! ;) If the young man got a shirt like that then I don't think black would be bad at all.

I'm with Dianne on this one if a young man wants to make his own fashion statement then he should.

OP please let us know what the final decision is.

My husband likes wearing light colored suits on cruises. He has also worn dark pinstriped suits. He is in his 50's, I am in my 40's. We love to dress up for formal nights as we really don't have many occasions to do so.

We adhere to the dress code, bring to the table pleasant and interesting conversation. Who cares what color his suite is.......I think my husband looks great, sorry if other people do not:( . IMHO, it is petty to worry about suit colors. If someone wants to wear white, black, navy, whatever, then go for it!!!!! Nothing wrong with individuality, be a leader instead of a follower;) !

2004 Disney Wonder. Not a formal night. It was our 5th anniversary and we dressed up to celebrate at Palo. This is a sport jacket and not an actual suit.

File0009-1.jpg

2007 RCCL Freedom of the Seas. Formal night AND our 8th anniversary!!

formalnight2-1.jpg

:)

My husband likes wearing light colored suits on cruises. He has also worn dark pinstriped suits. He is in his 50's, I am in my 40's. We love to dress up for formal nights as we really don't have many occasions to do so.

We adhere to the dress code, bring to the table pleasant and interesting conversation. Who cares what color his suite is.......I think my husband looks great, sorry if other people do not:( . IMHO, it is petty to worry about suit colors. If someone wants to wear white, black, navy, whatever, then go for it!!!!! Nothing wrong with individuality, be a leader instead of a follower;) !

2004 Disney Wonder. Not a formal night. It was our 5th anniversary and we dressed up to celebrate at Palo. This is a sport jacket and not an actual suit.

File0009-1.jpg

2007 RCCL Freedom of the Seas. Formal night AND our 8th anniversary!!

formalnight2-1.jpg

Lovely couple, you are!

I love that burnt orange dress. Where did you get it? Very sparkly:) .

:)

Lovely couple, you are!

I love that burnt orange dress. Where did you get it? Very sparkly:) .

Thank you!!! What a kind thing to say:) .

I bought the dress at Macy's, right before our April cruise. I was cruising the clearance racks and trying several on. DH found this one but not on the clearance rack, go figure. But I tried it on and fell in love with it. It is sparkly, but not the kind were the sparkly's fall off;) !

I would be thrilled that my 20 year old is even considering wearing a suit. Any color.

White, especially in hotter climates, is perfectly fine. Look how lovely the couple above are. Let him pick out what he is comforable in and tell him how handsome he is so that he will enjoy formal night as much as the rest of us. Don't forget to post his pic afterward!!

Happy cruising all!:)

White, especially in hotter climates, is perfectly fine. Look how lovely the couple above are. Let him pick out what he is comforable in and tell him how handsome he is so that he will enjoy formal night as much as the rest of us. Don't forget to post his pic afterward!!

Happy cruising all!:)

I agree!

Let him wear what he wants and have a great time with your family.

Archived