Tipping on QE2

ggo85

Note: I put this here and not on the tipping forum b/c it relates only to the QE2.

We recently took a QE2 cruise. We had spectacular service. Thus, not only did we participate in the "mandatory" tipping, we decided to provide everyone who served us something extra. The amount we gave varied by individual (for a number of reasons) but let's say it was around $100 per crewmember. We made sure to let folks know that this was in addition to whatever they got from the mandatory program (i.e., we didn't cancel our tips and then redistribute that money).

One of those we tipped told us that the mandatory tips are now considered part of their salary and that the only "tips" they actually receive are the "extra" tips passengers provide. Initially, I thought we were doing something nice by giving extra; after hearing that, I felt that we hadn't given enough. And, it made me believe that we were supposed to, almost required to, tip well in excess of the "mandatory" amount.

I'm ok w/"mandatory" tips (which, BTW, I do understand are voluntary in that they can be removed from your account) b/c it probably keeps some people from not giving tips and helps reward crewmembers that passengers don't see (chefs, deckhands, etc.). However, if we are now "expected" to tip over and above this "mandatory" amount in order to ensure that the crew receives adequate tips, it appears that we're being forced to tip twice as much.

My question is whether anyone knows if what we were told is true and whether you've found that extra tips are basically "expected" on the QE2 (and/or whether this varies by dining room/cabin category). If so, it sounds like the beginning of a vicious cycle.:confused:

Note: I put this here and not on the tipping forum b/c it relates only to the QE2........[big edit].............My question is whether anyone knows if what we were told is true and whether you've found that extra tips are basically "expected" on the QE2 (and/or whether this varies by dining room/cabin category). If so, it sounds like the beginning of a vicious cycle.:confused:

There is no requirement to tip at all. Not even the dining room charge of $13 dollars per person per day.

Any tip is a matter for the tipper, and the tipped.

Matthew

Understand no literal "requirement." Maybe I should have used the word "expectation."

Let's face it, there has always been an expectation that passengers should tip crewmembers who provided good service, just as we tip waiters, taxi drivers, etc. You aren't required to do it, but it is expected.

I saw numerous envelopes being handed out the last night/morning and had the sense from those with whom we interacted that they "expected" additional tips. I wondered if this might be b/c they routinely receive them. If, for example, 90% of passengers are tipping well beyond the mandatory amount, that could create an "expectation" among those tipped.

Thus, my question went to whether additional tipping was common on the QE2 and, therefore, created an expectation among the crew that they would receive substantial, additional tips.

This subject has been done to death here, and QE2 is no different to QM2 in respect of tips policy. The fact is that no one knows the facts, probably because it suits Cunard and many of the other cruise lines to keep this obscured. Because of this we hear roumours of service staff getting "wages" of $10 a month, or some other unlikely amount. There are many different views on the subject, depending, it seems, somewhat on where you live, (Europeans less given to tipping. Americans more so)

The only comment I would make is that it is possible to over tip ($100??) It does seem so much over the top, but then I am European, or, rather, English.

David

My question is whether anyone knows if what we were told is true and whether you've found that extra tips are basically "expected" on the QE2

No, I have not found any extra tip to be expected. Quite in contrary Cunard explains that the suggested tip, which is automatically deducted, and the 15 % added to the bar bills cover all tipping needs.

I thought we were doing something nice by giving extra; after hearing that, I felt that we hadn't given enough.

Do not feel bad, you did something nice, potentially far over the top, but certainly is no case of 'not enough'.

We were on the QE2 World Cruise for 59 nights on the Sydney-Southampton sector. Our understanding from speaking to various staff in the QG was that many of those taking the full World Cruise (of various nationalities) had their daily $13 charge included in their fare and that a significant number tipped nothing extra at all. Our waiter told us that he could expect to pocket more on a TA of six nights than the entire 108 night WC.

By the way, we learned this after we had tipped extra for exceptional service.

K.

First, I hadn't seen the tipping discussion on this forum; my apologies.

Last year, we cruised on Princess (our first big ship cruise since the advent of "mandatory" tipping) and I didn't have the impression that crewmembers expected anything beyond the minimum.

One difference I noted was that, on the QE2, you're more likely to eat all 3 (or at least 2) meals at your assigned table with the same wait staff. Thus, I felt we had much more interaction w/our wait staff on the QE2 than on any other ship we've been on (I've not been on the QM2).

Also, I was using $100 as an example; I didn't mean to suggest that we provided that amount to anyone -- let alone everyone -- who served us. However, for a two-week cruise, even $100 per couple amounts to less than $4/day.

I can only say that the "tip" recommended by Cunard and charged routinely (but can be cancelled) is what should settle the matter. I am an American but I have spent a great deal of time in the UK, and so I am like the English or the Scots or the Welsh. It is "Charlie" to overtip for whatever perceived sociological reasons. Get over it! The staff are making decent salaries!

My question is whether anyone knows if what we were told is true and whether you've found that extra tips are basically "expected" on the QE2 (and/or whether this varies by dining room/cabin category).

Personally I don't really care what Cunard does with the automatic gratuity money it collects. I cannot believe the staff are there as slaves and therefore they must want to be there. If they want to be there they are getting something from it (if not money then just the satisfaction of a job well done).

That said when we were onboard a couple of years ago the final breakfast was embarrassing. The restaurant staff were hanging about waiting to be tipped. They hardly left the table to get food in case you disappeared without tipping them (we didn't so the embarrassment went on for the entire meal). That was in the Princess Grill. Later that year we went back on a shorter cruise (again Princess Grill) and there was none of the begging. We decided that it must be due to it only being five nights. Last year we were in the Caronia over Christmas. There was no hastle for tips there on the last morning and we were able to enjoy breakfast.

I suspect that the "expectation" of tips on our first cruise was quickly stamped on - we were just unlucky to hit the ship at a time when everyone wanted an extra backhander.

Tips are not mandatory - you can sign a sheet at the Purser's Desk and all tips will be removed from your account on the last day. Tipping is at the passenger's discretion.

On QE2 some years ago our table waiter posted gratuity envelopes with his name printed on under our cabin door - on taking this up with the restaurant manager I believe he was removed from the ship.

Much as I'm in support of gratuities far too much is made of it - I don't expect it in my job and nor do I get any. I do offer appropriate gratuities to those who offer fine service.

To get back to the original question, I have been told that tips are pooled. We wanted to add to our cabin steward's tip several trips ago, and asked if it could be done by adding it to our account. We were told that it would be better to tip directly, as the extra money would just go into the pool. That may have been a dodge on the part of the purser who didn't want to be bothered, but I believe they do pool. I've been told that other cruise lines pool tips as well.

I like the convenience of having the tips done automatically, but I don't like the pooling. What about bar tips? Are they pooled? Or because the server's ID is on the tab, does the server get the tip directly? And if they can do that for the bar waiters, why not for your restaurant waiter and cabin steward?

I do believe in tipping extra if the service is very good. As in restaurants, waiters are probably not paid all that well, but make it up in tips. This may not be the right way to pay people, but in the US, at least, tips are essential for a waitperson's survival. I've never been a waitress, but a good friend was a waitress in college. She is a big tipper because she knows what it's like.

I have never felt hustled to tip. We usually tip at the last dinner, as the last breakfast can be hectic.

When we used to get outstanding service up on sundeck we would go up there on the last morning and give the guys up there tips. Yes, they got tipped automatically on bar tabs, but I spent lots of time there without ordering a lot of drinks, so we wanted to do something extra. Thinking back on it, they did get tips from DH all through cruises--as soon as we would reserve our deck chairs, they guys up there knew to stock extra Guinness!

I like the convenience of having the tips done automatically, but I don't like the pooling. What about bar tips? Are they pooled? Or because the server's ID is on the tab, does the server get the tip directly? And if they can do that for the bar waiters, why not for your restaurant waiter and cabin steward?

Bar tips are pooled among bar staff.

Other tips are pooled among other staff.

Remember there are unseen people who do a lot for you. The pooled tips - according to Cunard - cover those too.

Matthew

I'm pretty sure that goes for the added 15% too.

"A 15% charge is automatically added to your bar charges and dining room wine account. This is shared among the beverage staff and their support staff"

Current "Cunard Voyage Guide", p.33.

What a shame that the crew of ships might be hoping that there will be plenty of passengers from a country that tips incessantly rather than the British.

I dont like to think that they regard us as mean, but I wonder if they do.

:(

Personally I don't really care what Cunard does with the automatic gratuity money it collects. I cannot believe the staff are there as slaves and therefore they must want to be there. If they want to be there they are getting something from it (if not money then just the satisfaction of a job well done).

Malcolm,

This is the topic the picture belongs in! And although it isn't Pol Acker, the contents of the bottle aren't quite as good as the packaging. ;)

Here is another form of tipping for your discussion...

421517275_Tippers002.jpg.fcbfe20def876b356eb41aff424cb398.jpg

What a shame that the crew of ships might be hoping that there will be plenty of passengers from a country that tips incessantly rather than the British.

I dont like to think that they regard us as mean, but I wonder if they do.

:(

Can I add a word?

The question is whether tipping is expected/required. The answer to that is clearly no.

However I'm sure that some of those who have posted saying the above are those who do tip over and above the automatic Hotel and Dining Charge.

That's because we CHOOSE to, not because we MUST.

I hope that difference doesn't get lost.

Matthew

Bar tips are pooled among bar staff.

Other tips are pooled among other staff.

Remember there are unseen people who do a lot for you. The pooled tips - according to Cunard - cover those too.

Matthew

Yes, it's true that there are many unseen people who benefit from the pool. But I thought that was fairly new, and that the pool was originally just the people who ordinarily received tips--waiters and stewards. They used to tell you what the breakdown of the daily fee was, and it listed only those people who serve you directly.

I had never thought about the bar tips. We've added extra on the last night if it's the same server we've had for several nights. I guess we'll think about another envelope next time. It's not that I begrudge the others the money, it's that I want to thank someone specific.

In addition to tipping, I like to remember names and mention good service by name in the response card. Someone once told me that mentions by name are tracked and the staff member in question gets rewarded (assuming the menion is positive, of course). I hope that's true.

Kathy

I love a good discussion on the Automatic Wage Subsidy scheme employed by cruise lines. but in answer to your question...the company has a crew rewards scheme...i.e like a crew member of the month...based on how many recommendations from passengers and supervisors etc. It involves a certificate, a lovely photo of them with the captain and a monetary reward. So keep on thanking those who gave you terrific service.

Kaz

I know that they do crew member of the month awards. On one of our cruises, the platinum party was in the afternoon and they did the monthly (quarterly?) awards ceremony then so that we could be part of it. No mention of money was made (I guess that would have looked crass in front of the passengers), but we did see the presentation of certificates. I thought it was a wonderful idea to do that at a platinum party, and the other passengers there seemed to enjoy the chance to give an extra 'thank you' to the crew, especially those we never see.

Kathy

Archived