Skateboards On Cruise Ships

vafamily5

My sons all skateboarded and frankly, I thought it was a good activity for them. They were busy, physically active, not getting into trouble, etc. They all grew up to be well balanced, productive adults so skateboarding didn't have any lasting negative effects on them. :)

But, with that said, I would never have allowed them to bring skateboards on a cruise, unless, as others have said, there is some kind of great skate park at a port. That could be the chance of a lifetime for a teenager and I would be happy to see them get their own piece of enjoyment from a cruise that way.

But, no one should EVER be allowed to use a skateboard on a cruise and if there is the slightest doubt about whether they might try to sneak off to do it, the skateboard should be left at home!

Hmmmmm:rolleyes: Have to remember to bring my pocketful of pea gravel for those heelie brats.

make sure to have your umbrella insurance policy in place before your bring the pea gravel. :rolleyes:

I find it disturbing that an adult would think of causing harm to a child.

make sure to have your umbrella insurance policy in place before your bring the pea gravel. :rolleyes:

I find it disturbing that an adult would think of causing harm to a child.

OMG:eek: Save your cruise dollars, then go out and buy yourself a sense of humor.

My son is about having a fit because he cannot take his skateboard on cruise. What is up with these kids and skateboards these days?

You should look into a RCI cruise on Freedom of the Seas and he can use the flowrider and skate park onboard as well as the rock climbing wall and ice skating.

I actually encourage my son's skateboarding habit. Let me clarify- not onboard a ship. It is so much better than some other things that kids can be into and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If skateboarding is the worst thing this kid does, then, you have got it made. Pick on the bad stuff, not the stuff that keeps them out of trouble!

When my girls were 17 (and 16 and 15 and even 14) I kept them out of trouble by making sure they had summer jobs, but I digress.....

any sport, especially one that gets a kid outdoors and active is good as long as it isn't an obsession.

Anyway, my sympathies to the OP. Your circumstances with your step son are probably complicated from what it sounds, but of he's gonna miss the skateboard that much, I'd leave him home.

Either that OR, take a Hawaii cruise and let him try surfing!! If he's a great skateboarder, he'd be a natural at surfing.

I actually encourage my son's skateboarding habit. Let me clarify- not onboard a ship. It is so much better than some other things that kids can be into and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If skateboarding is the worst thing this kid does, then, you have got it made. Pick on the bad stuff, not the stuff that keeps them out of trouble!

I do agree with you to a point. However, skateboarding is not an inexpensive thing for him since he usually break it once a week and has to buy a new one. Also, it consumes his life....every breathing moment to the point that everything else is not important. This includes lying about schoolwork to skate, calling into his boss to get off work to skate, etc....

OMG:eek: Save your cruise dollars, then go out and buy yourself a sense of humor.

LOL!!! I'll bring the second pocket full, just incase we need more:D

And........I am suprised it took 2 pages before someone finally pointed out that they are not only unsafe but are forbidden on the ship.

JUST SAY NO!

LOL!!! I'll bring the second pocket full, just incase we need more:D

And........I am suprised it took 2 pages before someone finally pointed out that they are not only unsafe but are forbidden on the ship.

JUST SAY NO!

Ahhhh :) Someone with a sense of humor.

I don't know where any of you live but I am tired of skateboarders tearing up private property. They skate in shopping centers and on handrails and stairwells and won't get out of the road. In every shopping center and other private businesses you notice they have to post "No skate boarding". Wonder why???

I actually had to run some off that were stupid enough to be skating on handrails on a Air Force base in front of a classified building.

The one benefit though is it makes for great TV. They have a show called Scarred which shows skaters usually skating where they shouldn't and breaking their bones doing stupid stunts! Skate parks are the only place you should be doing this .....period! I have to question just how constructive this "sport" is when it damages private property.

Wanting to bring skateboards or play stations, I'm sorry I just don't get it. I think maybe a lot of kids just have to much these days. I wish my parents would have taken me on a cruise. I would have had no problem finding things to do on the ship. As for parents bring play stations, etc. They really need some help maybe trying to go up a little. They are fine at home, but please some of the things people can't do without for a week. It is truly sad, that people can't live without toys.

Have you tried to get your son involved in Water Polo or Swimming or some other sport in high school...?

Personally... I'd leave anyone under 21 at home... while ships love to get the "extra" money for kids... a cruise is not really set up for teen entertainment... it's clearly set up for adult entertainment. You may be able to keep the 12 and under amuzed and entertained easier with the camps.

Have you tried to get your son involved in Water Polo or Swimming or some other sport in high school...?

Personally... I'd leave anyone under 21 at home... while ships love to get the "extra" money for kids... a cruise is not really set up for teen entertainment... it's clearly set up for adult entertainment. You may be able to keep the 12 and under amuzed and entertained easier with the camps.

I do have to disagree. I am almost forty and started cruising at the age of six. We as a family went on vacation and in those days kids didn't have to be "entertained"!! That was the whole point of the cruise it was the entertainment and we spent time together as a family and you better believe if we stepped out of line any adult would have said something and I would have been mortified. Oh and we didn't have Camp Carnival -so that is the problem everyone thinks their kids need to be entertained. My parents said there is the pool get in and if we didn't like that we could play a board game, cards etc.

I do know what you are talking about though many of the teens on cruises run wild and have no boundaries, but then again many kids these days are like that in general. Maybe it is the new parenting or lack thereof!

The pea gravel is a great idea! That used along with putting your foot out should be very effective. To ensure there is enough to "share" would I want to pack it in carry-on or checked baggage? ;)

I do have to disagree. I am almost forty and started cruising at the age of six. We as a family went on vacation and in those days kids didn't have to be "entertained"!!

Well, I turned 49 yesterday, and I clearly remember things set up for our "entertainment". Like bowling alleys, miniature golf, skating rinks (ice and roller), giant slides, tiny (and cheap!) amusement parks in almost every other town, summer programs at the rec centers, VBS, etc, etc. All the things that are vanishing now. Let's not claim to have had to walk to school 5 miles through the snow uphill both ways; in some ways we had it a lot easier than kids today.

As far as the skateboard, if there's no port where he can use it, or if he doesn't have the sense and self control to keep off of it on the ship, he should leave it home. Then he can amuse himself by acting martyred and surly on vacation, in the time-honored tradition of generations of teenagers before him.

Anne

I do have to disagree. I am almost forty and started cruising at the age of six. We as a family went on vacation and in those days kids didn't have to be "entertained"!!

Well, I turned 49 yesterday, and I clearly remember things set up for our "entertainment". Like bowling alleys, miniature golf, skating rinks (ice and roller), giant slides, tiny (and cheap!) amusement parks in almost every other town, summer programs at the rec centers, VBS, etc, etc. All the things that are vanishing now. Let's not claim to have had to walk to school 5 miles through the snow uphill both ways; in some ways we had it a lot easier than kids today.

As far as the skateboard, if there's no port where he can use it, or if he doesn't have the sense and self control to keep off of it on the ship, he should leave it home. Then he can amuse himself by acting martyred and surly on vacation, in the time-honored tradition of generations of teenagers before him.

Anne

You need to read my post. I was referring to being "entertained" on a cruise ship by having to bring their stuff from home.

Kids have it tougher these days... that is hilarious! Yeah poor things, at least they all have cell phones they can call and whine to someone about it.

It won't be long until they have skate parks instead of mini-golf on the ships! Uh oh, did I just start a rumor? I have NOT heard this anywhere ... just a guess based on popularity of boards, heeleys, etc.

Forcryinoutfreakinloud :eek:

Don't even whisper something so awful!

FTLOG, I think if things get that bad, I will have to stop cruising. The ships are becoming little frigging amusement parks as it is :rolleyes: .

You need to read my post. I was referring to being "entertained" on a cruise ship by having to bring their stuff from home.

Kids have it tougher these days... that is hilarious! Yeah poor things, at least they all have cell phones they can call and whine to someone about it.

If I told my mother I was bored ahe would tell me to go read a book:) .

I don't remember having family vacations that were all about us kids. We were expected to find things to entertain ourselves with. Playing, swimming, cards, board games, or (I know it is a bad word to some kids) reading.:D

I read your post, and I stand by what I said. You didn't bring those books, cards, and board games from home? Please. I grew up in that time too, and it just doesn't wash. You might try reading mine, BTW. You'll notice the words "in some ways".

When I was a kid, I was able to go outside with no problem. In my city, kids can't because they may be accidentally shot. I made it to 20 without ever hearing about someone I knew dying by gun violence close to home; my (25 and 27) daughters didn't make it to 13 before someone was killed on the 3rd floor of the building we lived. We had resources available to us, some as simple as a library. Where I live, library hours are cut way down and branches are being closed down. Park programs have been cut. All of the resources I mentioned in my earlier message are being closed down and disappearing. Campus shooters, superbugs like the meningitis that killed high school and college students last year, adults who insist on acting like spoiled children themselves-- mostly unknown when I was growing up. Yup, in some ways, we had it a lot easier. IMHO, the opportunity to have a cell phone doesn't make up for that at all.

Anne

Archived