Rijsttafel in Amsterdam

Hi,

We want to do the touristy thing and have rijsttafel while we are in Amsterdam (two nights pre cruise).

Can anyone recommend a good place for this? I have heard that Kantjil & De Tijger is good but haven't heard of any others.

Walking distance from the Anne Frank House area would be a bonus.

Thanks! :)

There used to be a wonderful placed called Bali, but I haven't been there in years. Hopefully, someone with more recent experience will respond.

Sorry to tell you Bali closed a few years ago...

However there are lots of good Indonesian (not to the Chinese-Indonesian) in Amsterdam. Rijsttafel isnot just for tourists, many dutch love to eat it. Indonesia was once a dutch colony and many anchestors worked/lived there and introduced the kitchen.

My personal favorites are: Indrapura which is right on Rembrandtsplein (city-center), but only open for diner: http://www.indrapura.nl/

Also Sama Sebo, close to Rijksmuseum and van Goghmuseum, open for lunch, closed on Sunday:http://www.diningcity.nl/samasebo/en/

Tempo Doeloe, in Utrechtsestraat, close to Rembrandtsplein:

http://www.tempodoeloerestaurant.nl/en1.htm

I have never eaten in Kantjil & de Tijger, have heard mixed reviews about it.

Check before ordering how spicey some dishes are. If you donot want to eat a full Rijsttafel, order "Nasi Rames" or Bami Rames" which are rice or noodles as a plateservice with many ingredients like in Rijsttafel.

Make reservations if you go for diner, most places are often very full.

On the websites of Indrapura and Tempo Doeloe you can even check what dishes are served with rijsttafel. Indrapura also states how spicey it can be.

(Your questions make me hungry....)

On the websites of Indrapura and Tempo Doeloe you can even check what dishes are served with rijsttafel. Indrapura also states how spicey it can be.

(Your questions make me hungry....)

I have already been salivating over the menus! :D :D I can't wait to try this and the spicier the better.

Are these dressier restaurants or are nice jeans OK there?

My girlfriends and I went a few years ago. We found wonderful rijstaffel for about $10/plate. I didn't have a particular restaurant in mind- just the dish. I suppose you can find great rijstaffel throughout the area by walking around and looking for a good mid-afternoon special if you don't come upon those particular restaurants!

Rijsttafel isnot a plateservice, like the "Rames" version is. A real rijstafel brings many different dishes in various bowls on your table. You mix them with your white rice.

As mentioned the best are served in the original Indonesian Restaurants. Not the "Chinese-Indonesian.

Over the years some dishes like satay, nasi or bami are served in restaurants. However often the taste is different because the indonesian use the real herbes.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an excellent place a few years ago called 'Garouda'. I remember it because the name was the same as the airline. We were a party of ten. We looked at the menu and didn't know where to start so we left it to the waiter. He asked are you very hungry, medium hungry or little bit hungry? We said medium. Oh boy! We were stuffed and left about half of it. A good night out.

Archived