Which ship if any for teen?

Travelitis

My son has severe arthritis and can go from walking to being totally wheelchair bound in short order. Last weekend he did exactly that and ended up in the ER getting IV meds. We're deciding between 3 ships, one of which we've booked but are second-guessing. We'll be taking his scooter, knowing that he'll need it to get around the ship. He has to be careful not to over exert himself so he can enjoy the trip. We booked RCI, but I'm thinking that's probably not the best ship for him. Would appreciate input.

I'm also concerned that maybe we shouldn't take him on a cruise since we can't get him covered with travel insurance. His condition fluctuates so much, but maybe if we're extra cautious in the weeks leading up to the cruise, it will be OK. Since it's been this bad, we've taken Disney vacations only because it's close, and we can check in late if there's a medical emergency (just happened last weekend).

1. RCI Liberty of the Seas (booked a balcony and HC inside) Our concern is that he can't ice skate, rock climb, or surf, and those are big attractions on that ship.

2. Crown Princess - would be 2 obstructed OV (about $500 less than RCI) No big attractions he couldn't do, and he'd love the lifesize chess. Best itin. MUTS

3. Carnival Liberty - by far the least expensive - could get military discount - no HC triples except in cat 11, and we're not getting that for our 3 kids, so one kid would be in our cabin. The kids love the 24 hr pizza and ice cream. MUTS.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your son's medical problems.

I sailed Mariner of the Seas with a group of teenagers, and yes it was very oriented to teens, with all the activities you mentioned.

I'm assuming you've checked with his doctor; what does he/she think?

I hate to say this, but I'm not sure I'd take my DD on a cruise if she were prone to needing hospital care. But then, I've never had reason to check out the ship's infirmary; maybe you could call the cruiselines and find out what kind of emergency care they could give your boy.

Also, would your medical insurance cover care on the ship? Or in port?

Just some things I'd think about if I were in your situation. Good luck to you! Let us know what you find out.

Hi...have your TA check with Travel Insured International, Inc...I too have may pre-conditions and this insurance covers all of them. http://www.travelinsured.com I can not use any of the cruise lines insurance because I would not be covered.

...Also , last year we took our whole family (15 of us) on Voyager of the Seas...and our 11 year old grandson broke his arm the week before the cruise...he still found lots to do on the ship (he could not rock clims or skate either) He loved the shows the movies, and the pools..he was fortunate to have a waterproof cast. He loved the kids group..granted he was in the pre-teen group, but all of the young people seemed to enjoy the programs offered. The ice skating show was wonderful...can't imagine how they can do what they do in such a small space...don't miss it.

The RCCL ships are easy for someone using a scooter because all of the outside doors have buttons to push to open them. It will give him lots of freedom and independence.

Good Luck...a cruise is a great wasy to travel for the whole family.

Archived