Wondering what to do in Jamaica

Rx819

My husband and I are going to be leaving October 6 on Liberty of the Seas and are really struggling at this point on what we should or should not do while in Jamaica. With all the concerns of safety, whether to book something through a private agency or through the cruiseline, it's become very confusing! We have thought about doing the zipline, Dunn's Falls, tubing...or now, just staying on the ship, or staying close to the dock and seeing a very little. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks so, so much!!!

There are many local companies which will show you the island. We used Barrett Adventures on our visit there a few years ago and had a great day. They'll tailor the day to the things you like to do.

Make sure you do ... check out what other people on these boards have planned, too. Given the hurricane situation, the tours that are available may end up changing, too.

My hubby and I have been to Jamaica a couple of times and here is my advice:

Dunns River Falls: you can do this on your own (we did) ... tip a guide and head up the falls NOT in a huge line of people. We found this to be very enjoyable, but the vendors hawking goods are very aggressive ... be prepared to say no and smile and keep moving. If you make eye contact, they'll follow you down the sidewalk

Rafting: We didn't do the tubing ... although it looks like fun. What we DID was the Martha Brae tour and it was actually one of our most favorite tours we've ever taken (which we weren't expecting at all). Our guide was very entertaining and even stopped at a couple of spots so we could swim, play around on a rope swing, etc.

Horseback Riding: We did this as well and found it to be a lot of fun. Especially the part where they take the saddle off the horse and let it "swim" in the ocean while you ride bareback. I was laughing so hard I thought I'd fall off my horse at the faces some of the others were making.

Depending on where you dock and if it's open, Rose Hall is very interesting. We took a tour and had a rum tasting on our last trip to Jamaica (not offered through the ship ... you'll have to do a google search). The ghost stories we learned about while there were fascinating and it was really interesting to glean a bit of Mo Bay history on the tour.

Since Liberty has a short day in port, I'd probably recommend taking a ship sponsored tour (I think you have to be back onboard by 4:30 .... which seems like a short day to me) or do Dunns River only and then hit the beach or shops. But before you book, you might wait a couple of days to find out what the plan is in case Dean does severe damage to the island. It could be that ships will be diverted for a time (although you'd think by October .....).

Since your visit is just a short two months in the future, I'm sure Jamaica will still be going through the clean up process. I personally feel, since Jamaica has taken such a hit (by Dean and on these boards) the "right" thing to do would be to form "Cruise Ship Passenger Clean Up Crews" to assist, in what ever way possible, in the reconstruction efforts. Wouldn't that be a wonderful way to "give back" to the island that has given us so much?

I agree with the poste above that recommended barrett adventures. you can check out their web site at:http://www.barrettadventures.com and if you wish you can check out some of my pics at http://www.oldmedic.smugmug.com we always love doing YS Falls and the Rockland Bird sanctuary...... have ha great day in Jamaica...

• 2 weeks later...

During our cruise stop, we used a wonderful local guide named Lebert Watson in Ocho Rios three years ago. I am assuming he is still giving tours. website: www.jamaicataxitours.com and email + leberttours@hotmail.com/. Lebert met us at the ship and took us straight to Dunn river falls, beating all the crowds. He even had purchased admission tickets in advance for us. Afterwards, he drove us on a half-day tour of Jamaica. Our favorite part was when he waited while another guide (the grandson of a local witch doctor) took us for a jungle walk. He is an older man and a very careful driver. Plus, his fees were quite reasonable.

We felt very safe in Jamaica, and Lebert made sure we didn't venture into any unsafe territory.

Archived