motorhome rental

coffee39

Coffee 39,

Here's a website for the one we'll be renting from in a couple of weeks: http://greatalaskanholidays.com/ There are others, of course, that would come up if you do a google search. So far we have been pleased with the process with them. The booklet they sent out was very thorough and informative. Their website will allow you to get and idea of the price.

Priscilla

Has anyone rented a motorhome in Alaska. Where do you rent from and how pricey are they?

Thanks in advance for information.

Coffee - do a quick search on this and you will find a lot of great info. I remember one particular thread where folks gave a lot of very good tips about driving motorhomes in Alaska. gg

Coffee 39,

Here's a website for the one we'll be renting from in a couple of weeks: http://greatalaskanholidays.com/ There are others, of course, that would come up if you do a google search. So far we have been pleased with the process with them. The booklet they sent out was very thorough and informative. Their website will allow you to get and idea of the price.

Priscilla

We rented from Great Alaskan Holidays at the beginning of June this year and can't speak highly enough of them. We had a brand new RV, the orientation was comprehensive, and the service was excellent.

We had a wonderful week, traveling at our own pace, and did not have to worry about anything except enjoying the beautiful land.

If we go to Alaska again, we would spend 2 weeks in an RV, and see the places we missed on our first trip. You do have to do some research before you go, and I found these boards very helpful for that.

I too have rented from Great Alaskan Holiday. Excellent well run company with top notch RV's. I do strongly suggest, however, you do purchase the added insurance waiver, which makes your deductable 0, rather than $1000. It is just about a given to get a scratch, nick, cracked windshield etc.

Do not expect savings compared to a rental car and lodging. I found staying at a nice B&B with some local contact more my preference. And actually cheaper in my case.

Rent at least a 26" or longer RV so to have a permanent lower bed. It's a pain to have to make up and take down, couches, tables etc every day, and the comfort isn't there. The overhead isn't easy for 2 people either. :)

Final tip- purchase twice the toilet paper you think you'll need. :) (I also took gloves for the dumping)

I too have rented from Great Alaskan Holiday. Excellent well run company with top notch RV's. I do strongly suggest, however, you do purchase the added insurance waiver, which makes your deductable 0, rather than $1000. It is just about a given to get a scratch, nick, cracked windshield etc.

Do not expect savings compared to a rental car and lodging. I found staying at a nice B&B with some local contact more my preference. And actually cheaper in my case.

Rent at least a 26" or longer RV so to have a permanent lower bed. It's a pain to have to make up and take down, couches, tables etc every day, and the comfort isn't there. The overhead isn't easy for 2 people either. :)

Final tip- purchase twice the toilet paper you think you'll need. :) (I also took gloves for the dumping)

I have to agree with BQ that it was not cheap, but it gave us so much freedom to decide for ourselves where to go and how long to stay. We're not early risers, so on several occasions, we stopped for dinner and then carried on driving, arriving at a camp site late in the evening (thanks to the long hours of daylight). Our best memory was sitting outside by the river at Talkeetna at midnight and finding it still light enought read. We could have done the trip cheaper if we had cooked more for ourselves, but we enjoyed the bought meals too.

I also second the idea of getting an RV with a permanent bed - the 25' Winnebago Chalet we rented had one and it was great to be able to just fall into bed.

We took the full insurance, but were lucky enough not to get a single scratch or dent on our RV - pure luck, I think.

Celle

We also rented the 25' Chalet from Great Alaskan this May. It was brand new and a delight! Easy to drive, great way to see Alaska. Do bring quarters for showers in the private campgrounds!! So nice to have that long, hot showers.

Archived