Turtle Farm/Boatswainsbeach

SqueakyDust

Are these places one and the same?

I was reading other threads regarding visiting the turtle farm and looked up Captain Marvins' site. The price he is showing for going to Hell, the Turtle Farm and 3 photo stops is less that Boatswainsbeach admittance charge, and his fee apparently includes this.

We're not interested in swimming with Sting Rays though, so I don't suppose we'll be able to use Marvin.

Yes, Turtle Farm is in Boatswain Beach. Apparently there are a lot of other things to do there, that's why the price is more. We stopped there for about 1/2 hour to see the turtles on our excursion with Carnival. Very cool. The turtles are HUGH and they also have smaller ones you can pick up and hold.

Thanks loving2cruise.

So you reckon the price of $25 pp will be higher then ;)

If I remember correctly the entrance fee for Boatswains was $75pp, so we'd need to add on the transportation costs.

hmm. I head the Caymans were expensive, but that's a bit steep when there are 4 of us.

From what I understand, some of the tour companies are still able to offer a cheaper "just the turtles" admission to Boatswains Beach as part of their island tours. That lower price doesn't include all the new stuff that was added as part of the recent renovations, it just includes the turtle tanks, etc. I think it's also for a shorter amount of time than the full admission, which is for the whole day (or as much of it as you want to spend).

I don't know if they'll be able to offer that cheaper admission forever, so you may want to take advantage of it while you can. The turtles are worth seeing, but I'm not sure they're worth the full price, especially if you don't have time to see everything else there, if you know what I mean... ;)

Thanks for the info Bookbabe.

I reckon it would just be the turtles the kids would be interested in, so I'll look more closely into this.

:)

Please be aware that there is a reason it is named the Turtle Farm It is because the turtles are raised there primarily as a consumable commodity. Only a small percentage get released back into the ocean. Turtle meat is available for consumption there if you are interested in trying some.

Thanks for the heads up Bruce. I had heard this before, just have to remember to let the kids know.

Eventhough it's not something we'd indulge in, I think it's important to let the kids know that other countries/cultures do things differently and it doesn't mean it's wrong. (As long as an animal is not in danger of extinction)

Thanks for the heads up Bruce. I had heard this before, just have to remember to let the kids know.

Eventhough it's not something we'd indulge in, I think it's important to let the kids know that other countries/cultures do things differently and it doesn't mean it's wrong. (As long as an animal is not in danger of extinction)

That is an enlightened point of view, but I would expect nothing less coming from someone from "the old country" as my Dad would say.

BTW, I've worn my kilt for the formal nights on my last 2 cruises. Me in my kilt Robertson Clan.

Uh... hate to say it, but... the green sea turtle is an Appendix I species under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora).

Appendix I lists species that are the most endangered among CITES-listed animals and plants (see Article II, paragraph 1 of the Convention). They are threatened with extinction...

An argument can be made that a species being farmed as a food source is unlikely to become extinct. Hopefully the wild populations of green sea turtles can begin to rebound with the help of those reared and released by the farm in Cayman.

Bruce, VERY smart :D

I had a 'thing' for the kilt jacket in my early 20's. I desperately wanted one but they were so expensive to buy and everyone thought I was mad :rolleyes:

My husband wore a kilt for the first time a few yeas ago, to his nieces' wedding. His father, who was Polish but had lived here for nearly 65 years, wore one too - and was VERY proud to do so. His brother, in Germany, thought it an insult:confused: My son, at age 9 refused to wear a 'skirt'.

Kilts are great for Formal nights as you can wear the same thing, unlike us ladies who 'need' changes.

Drew, I certainly hope that if the Green sea turtle is being 'farmed' then it will save the wild ones - as surely there would be no/little need to catch them.

Archived