Just back from the Empress...Philly to Bermuda

rianvi

Just back today from sailing on the Empress. Decided to post a very short review since not much has been posted about the Empress.

Background....this was our sixth cruise...our first with RCI. There were five in our group...my DH, our 18 yr. DD, my parents and myself.

This is just my experience on this seven night cruise to Bermuda.

Embarktion....very quick and easy. Got to the terminal aroung 11am. Parking within walking distance..$10.00/day. On the ship by 11:30am. Went to the Windjammer for lunch...good variety. We explored the ship. The Empress is the smallest in the fleet but we found her easy to get around and well kept. There was always someone cleaning the railings, carpets, or elevators. Our cabin was an interior room. Smaller than other lines but the three of us managed well. Our attendant was Matthew Mitchell. He was superb...very skilled and talented. The cabin was always spotless and there was no odour in the hallways. We were in #8163.

Entertainment ...good variety...comedian Jimmy Caroll was very good...the musical productions were okay...the same dancing and singing. Variety of music in the different lounges.

Activities.....varied...scrapbooking...arts and crafts...watercolour painting...trivia contests...name that tune...karaoke...belly flop contest...quest{an adult scavenger hunt}..bingo, etc.

Food.....we found the food selection in the Carmen dining room delicious. A good variety in the menu. Our waiter Andi was one of the best we have ever had. And our assistant waiter Bong was very attentive. We were at table 113second seating. We were originally at 87 but I went down at 12:30 the first day and found it would be very difficult for my Mum to manage with her walker.They changed it without any difficulty. A pianist played every night. The dining room is two levels. The wait staff sang two nights. Most enjoyable.

Warren Allen is the cruise director. Very talented...approachable...he was right out there with his staff...not just behind the scenes.

Rosa...the manager of guest relations is another one of RCI assets. She goes out of her way for the guests...very personable and knowledgable.

At the meet and mingle, both Warren and Rosa were there to answer any of our questions. They also had plenty of raffle prizes.

All in all, we enjoyed the cruise...loved the ship and will definitely sail with RCI again.

If there are any questions...I will do my best to answer them.

Peace, Anna:)

We are sailing the Empress in Dec on a 5 day South Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. Silly us, we live 30 minutes from Philadelphia but already did the Liberty in June so a second cruise in the summer is not a possibility. I would love to go on a cruise where I don't have to fly anywhere. After being on the largest of RCI's ships I'm looking forward to a smaller atmosphere. We have an owner's suite (upgraded from an ocean view when someone else cancelled.... Thank you who ever you are!!) and am also looking forward to that having been in a PR room on the Liberty.

I appreciate the information about the food and shows. We enjoy the shows even though they are not "Los Vegas" quality, but if that is what I really want I'll go to Los Vegas. I should say I enjoy them, DH always falls asleep during the shows. Only complaint I ever had about the food was when my seafood meal came out very cool and the server practically knocked everyone over to get me one that was steaming.

The activities on the Empress sound interesting too. I hope they offer some of the same on a shorter cruise.

thanks again!!

sue

Thanks for your review on the Empress. We will be going on her for the first time in Oct. so it was good to hear positive things. I'm sure we'll be happy because we love a small ship and we are not hard to please. We have been to Bermuda numerous times on the Zenith and the Empress seems comparable.

Thanks for the information. My granddaughter and I are sailing on the same cruise next Saturday (Aug 25). Since we've never been to the Philadelphia terminal it's good to know you were able to get on board so quickly.

Rosa...the manager of guest relations is another one of RCI assets. She goes out of her way for the guests...very personable and knowledgable.

Rianvi, so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your cruise on the Empress. We took our very first cruise on her last month and found the trip very enjoyable. My dh had just retired and this was a family reunion cruise. We had all booked on our own but were able to get most of us seated at 3 tables by each other for dinner. This was great, but we still couldn't all get together to talk. I contacted guest relations to see about a private party. At first, I was given a no go, but when I insisted, my name and cabin number were taken and Rosa soon contacted me. She was amazing. Gave me options for a party, and every time I asked more questions, she was able to find the answers and get back to me. We decided on a champagne party in the Crown Viking, the hour before our last formal dinner. Rosa and her assistant (I'm sorry I can't remember his name) were fantastic! They met everyone as they entered and stayed to do whatever we needed. They moved chairs so we could do a group picture and took the pictures with several cameras we all had with us. It was a fantastic, memorable way to bring the family together, and a lovely celebration for my dh!

Rosa is such a dear, and truly shows that she enjoys her job, and loves people. She is definitely an asset to RCI!

I sent Rosa flowers the next day, but wish I could have done more to thank her. Perhaps I can contact RCI and tell them our experience?

I sent Rosa flowers the next day, but wish I could have done more to thank her. Perhaps I can contact RCI and tell them our experience?

One of the best things you can do is to contact RCI and tell them about Rosa. Positive comments from guests help the employees with advancement in the company and other perks such as time off and possibly salary. Complimentary letters are usually shown to the employee so you will be thanking Rosa even more.

iheartbda...we sailed on the Zenith last August to Bermuda and yes the ships are comparable. We enjoy the smaller ships but they seem to becoming scarce.

sugar13...a letter would be great. I am doing one as well. I did write about Rosa on the comment/survey that was handed out the last night.

Webnanny...enjoy your cruise. If you see Rosa could you please say hello to her for me...tell her Anna/Rianvi says hi. If you are involved with the meet and mingle, she will be there.

Sue...the entertainment is enjoyable. We are very easy to please. The one performer was Bobby Arvon, he wrote the theme to Happy Days. We enjoyed his show...he did impersonations of other singers and we were able to purchase his CD afterwards which he signed.

We ate lunch quite often in the Carmen dining room. They give you a bread basket with a wonderful black olive tapenade.

The towel animals were a delight each night in our cabins.

Disembarktion went quite smoothly as well. We were in the van and heading for home by 9:30 am.

Wish we were still there.

Thank you for the information. This will be our first cruise on RCCI and have been curious about the Empress. I've heard many good things but still have a few questions. Did you eat at Portofino's and, if so, is it worth the extra $20/pp? How far in advance does one need to make reservations or can that be done on the day you wish to dine there?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the review. I'll be on Empress in January and I was wondering if they did the big ship stuff (trivia, belly flop, Quest, etc). Did you notice more ship movement than your other cruises on the "other" lines? BTW - welcome to RCCL! Hope you stay!

P.S. - who was your captain, Capt Gunnar or Capt Jim? And what was your sail date.

Signman...Rosa Torres is the Rosa I am speaking of...such a wonderful person.

John...the Loyalty Ambassador on our cruise was....Emily Keeley.

Wolfcathorse...there was quite a bit of movement at times...taht was expected. We experienced similar on the Zenith last August on our way to Bermuda. The activities were plenty and varied. I mentioned some in my first post on this thread. They have a rock climbing wall.

We sailed Aug. 11th and returned Aug. 18th. The Captain was Captain Jim Olsen.

HookLine&Sinker...My parents did the Glass bottom boat tour and enjoyed it very much. My DH and DD went on a boat tour...celebrity homes, etc. both in Hamilton. In St George, friends did the horse and buggy tour and my DH went jet skiing. We enjoy just walking about. Plenty to see in both places. Several churches, museums, beautiful beaches. Very old cemetary behind the old white Church in St. George Horseshoe bay in Hamilton very nice but gets quite crowded. We usually go to Tobacco Bay in St. George. I delivered Meals on Wheels on the Tuesday while in Bermuda...but that is another story.

Sideways2...We didn't eat at Portofino's..people we met did and enjoyed it very much. They said it was well worth it. We have tried the specialty restaurants in the past and enjoyed them. It is an individual preference. We just enjoy trying new things. I usually book the day I board and usually try for a casual night. Formals nights were Sunday and Thursday. But I know people were booking the day that they wanted to dine there. But sometimes you run the risk of it being booked up.

MrPete...Yes that was us pulling out of Hamilton Wednesday am. around 8. We were on our way to St. George we arrived around 9ish. We enjoyed our time in both places.

Thankyou everyone for the good wishes and yes, we are plannig to sail with RCI again.

Peace, Anna

Mike and Jackie....Rick really enjoyed the jet ski. It was in St. George. There are two docking areas for the ships and this is right between them. So no matter where you are docked you will see it. It was $60.00 for 30 min. Rick was actually out for almost 45 min. $110.00 for a full hour. You go out in a group with a guide...to Ferry Beach...time for a swim. The skis go any where from 55-75 miles hour...you control your own speed. They provide life jackets of course. The guides are very patient and give you instruction. It was Rick's first time on a jet ski. He had water skiied before. By the time he returned they had him looking like an old pro.;) Definitely a highlight for him. We didn't have reservations you just go and ask when the next one is going out and they will schedule you.

Hope this helps.

My daughter, her husband, and their three children will be on the same cruise as you. One of the boys has red hair - you might recognize them that way. :)

They love Bermuda and have cruised there a few times, but this is their first time with RC.

Their names are Alice and Bob.

Thanks for the post. I have seen pictures from a couple of members and your review. I am very pleased that we will be able to sail on one of her last trips before she is sent elsewhere. I like the small ships.

It's like NASCAR, they keep building bigger to get more people in the stands, but what a lot us us want is our smaller romantic ships that can dock at any port comfortably.

Crazy Flying Fish....Yes, the ships are getting bigger and very few of the smaller ones remain. On this cruise for one of the activities , there was a talk with the Captian and one/two of his officers. My DH and DD went and found this very informative...you could ask questions. There is to be a combined total of 40 new cruise ships out by 2010...includes all cruise lines. My DH is an avid Nascar Fan. We went on a cruise from Tampa in 2005..we sailed the day before the Daytona 500. I arranged for he and my brother-inlaw to go to the race. They had a wonderful time.

Take care.

Peace, Anna

Rianvi/ Anna,

Thank you for the great review. My DH and I sail on August 25th. This is our second trip on Empress (She was Nordic Empress on our last trip.). Glad to here about the parking, I was worried it might be expensive. Happy to hear you had a good time. Thanks again for all of the information.:D

Joan

Archived