Nextels

lenape

Hello everyone, we where going on the Liberty in November and we looked in the search but we couldn't find any currrent info. on the Nextels. We are going on November 4th and we just where curious of anything new popping up with these cell phones to the fact that they might work on the cruise. Thanks in advance

if your phone is a nextel/sprint hybrid it will work using the cdma band. if it is a purebred nextel phone using only IDEN technology, then it will not work on the ship's system, I believe sprint charges $2.49 per minute, and may have to have international dialing activated.

Call your provider for details, then call again and ask someone else the same question to see if you get the same answer, if the answer is different, ask for a manager!

MAC

We just went on the Destiny 7/29 and found out the hard way. When we arrived in Puerto Rico and turned on our phones the screen said, "Restricted". We couldn't dial out or utilize the direct connect function.

Call your provider before you go to let them know where you are traveling. They'll be able to tell you if you'll have service or not.

Our friends had AT&T and Verizon and both of their phones worked.

Hope this helps.

I have yet to get 2 matching answers from anyone in the company whether it be in person or calling in. I tried last year before my trip and just assumed my phone wouldn't work based on the answers I was given. Then I found out my direct connect worked at the ports I was at (western caribbean) and although I didn't really look at my bill in detail when I got back, I know we didn't have any crazy bills. We tried calling out but it had a recording. Had I known what it was saying I could have probably dialed out but I didn't really need to anyway since the only person I needed had nextel too so I just beeped!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,

I hear that darn......nextel direct connect sound all day long at work....! :(

I want to start a petition to ban cell phone use on Cruise Ships !

At home I love being connected. Love my tech toys,

BUT.....There is nothing so sweet as standing on the deck of the ship....with my partner.....watching the signal fade on that dang phone !

I think if I heard that annoying Nextel "chirp" on a Cruise I would be forced to toss the phone under some Kids Heelie's or Skateboard:D

Some of us know how to use VIBRATE and also to use it during quiet time in our cabin as we would a private phone call....

and some of us don't have the luxery of being 100% out of touch with our children or business for 8 days....

Hello everyone, we where going on the Liberty in November and we looked in the search but we couldn't find any currrent info. on the Nextels. We are going on November 4th and we just where curious of anything new popping up with these cell phones to the fact that they might work on the cruise. Thanks in advance

Check with Nextel to see if your phones have off network direct connect. Some of Nextel's phones have this feature that allows you to still communicate via direct connect even if there is no network coverage works like a 2 way radio.

We have nextal. 15 minutes leaving the home port we were without service until we got back.

We even purchased an international plan before we left-- and got nothing.

If your cell sevice is really needed I suggest getting anopther phone service..and dont always believe the people you are talking to at the company.

We have nextal. 15 minutes leaving the home port we were without service until we got back.

We even purchased an international plan before we left-- and got nothing.

If your cell sevice is really needed I suggest getting anopther phone service..and dont always believe the people you are talking to at the company.

Your phones have to be international phones, however IDEN international service is sporadic at best

Cell phone use should be banned on board OR RESTRICTED to in cabin use ONLY. YOU [whoever] need to stay connected! The rest of us want to stay blissfully disconnected. It is OUR vacation too. We're not interrupting yours, don't interrupt ours.

Dan

Your phones have to be international phones, however IDEN international service is sporadic at best

thats why i said-- dont always believe the sales rep. they told me one thing-- and then it didnt work anyways. Cant see buying a interntional plan when i am only internation for a week.

And I do have to agree with Dan to a p[oint. I do understand that people have to stay connected- what i dont understand is the people who are using them out and about shouting and repeating over and over.- Yes, please take your conversations into private area away from the public who are trying to relax on their vacation.

Walkie talkies are worse then the phones-- with the kids always playing tag. and yelling in them for mom or dad...and every mom and dad replying.. arghhh..

Tried to watch a show when the 4 teens behind us were talking with their friends up in the balcony- that was fun.

SRY Lenape-- it does get annoying.

Our children are 23 and 20. They are not going with us, it's just me and my wife. I was wondering about making a call at night as my mom's not doing to good. It's sad and sickning how people just assume and I'm sitting here explaining myself to total strangers because I asked a simple question. As far as Nextel goes who said anything about the two way! It's also a cell phone. You and Dan should live together. Thanks for your 2 cents. We would like to thank the others for their quick replies and for not living in such a small world.

Some of us know how to use VIBRATE and also to use it during quiet time in our cabin as we would a private phone call....

and some of us don't have the luxery of being 100% out of touch with our children or business for 8 days....

Which would make you NOT the people Daan was referring to....

Our children are 23 and 20. They are not going with us, it's just me and my wife. I was wondering about making a call at night as my mom's not doing to good. It's sad and sickning how people just assume and I'm sitting here explaining myself to total strangers because I asked a simple question. As far as Nextel goes who said anything about the two way! It's also a cell phone. You and Dan should live together. Thanks for your 2 cents. We would like to thank the others for their quick replies and for not living in such a small world.

Im sorry that you feel this way- there are many many subjects on the cruise boards that warrant replies such as the above. You just dont have a clue on how annoying the cell phones and walkie talkies are until you experience it first hand.

The answer for nextel was-- you must buy the international plan. and do not listen to what the service reps tell you. they try to sell you stuff that is useless.

Your best bet-- wait til you get to a port-- buy a local phone card and use the payphones. a lot cheaper then the cell phone roaming charges.

What did people do before cell phones?????

I am pushing 40 and can't remember seeing anybody at WDW with a cell phone when my family took a vacation!!!!!

I am NOT flaming you, just asking an honest question.

To the O.P I'm going to try the walkie talkie part of our phone on our next cruise. My husband and I do split up at times and it would be nice to meet up again with ut..

As for having to get ahold of someone at home, try calling cards. We did that in Italy to keep in contact with family and business partner. They are cheap but you would only be able to use it in port.. We called Nextal/Sprint about using our phones over seas, they said they wouldn't work there. We would have to rent a phone which was to much money.. But the calling card worked great.

Not everyone one can be cut off from there normal lives while on vacation. We own our business which can be shut down while we are gone. But we are now in partnership in a construction business and my husband needs to be in contact with our business partner at times. Plus my mother is on dialysis and my husbands father is getting older.

So yes we will us our cell phones or any other means how we see fit to stay in contact with our families. No one can else make that decision other then us. That for those that say cells phones should be baned..

if your phone is a nextel/sprint hybrid it will work using the cdma band. if it is a purebred nextel phone using only IDEN technology, then it will not work on the ship's system, I believe sprint charges $2.49 per minute, and may have to have international dialing activated.

Call your provider for details, then call again and ask someone else the same question to see if you get the same answer, if the answer is different, ask for a manager!

MAC

Be sure to ask for the International Department or you may get A LOT of mis-information.

And yes - it is $2.49 a minute and you do have to have international added.

Here's my 2 cents' I have had Nextel for years. According to the company they can set you up for international calling. I have not tried it yet. As far as the 2 way radio - I think it depends on the phone you have. I have always thought of using it but have never really needed to. My kids are always close by so I haven't needed to find them.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,

I hear that darn......nextel direct connect sound all day long at work....! :(

I want to start a petition to ban cell phone use on Cruise Ships !

At home I love being connected. Love my tech toys,

BUT.....There is nothing so sweet as standing on the deck of the ship....with my partner.....watching the signal fade on that dang phone !

I couldn't agree more, at the least cell phone should be only aloud in your cabins. Not out in any public areas. That way there could be another rule that security could over look.

Thanks Serene, the phone card sounds like a great idea as it would only be the one call a day. I really didn't feel like the hassle of a cell phone while on vacation.

another idea-- the internet cafe. I know my parents do not have a computer so that wouldnt work for me. Computers onboard are very slow and can rake up the minutes in no time.

Archived