More Newbie Questions

BLUEROSEKY

I have a couple more questions for you more experienced cruisers if you can help us. Please!

My 2 sisters in law and I are cruising for the first time in Feb on the Sensation. S.i.l #1 wants to know what will happen if she gets caught smuggling in liquer, S.i.l #2 wants to know if she will get in trouble too if #1 gets caught? I am kind of wondering about that one myself. LOL. :p

Also, we booked with travelocity and I was wondering if we can still prepay gratuities by calling Carnival. It wasn't offered when we booked, but I would like to get them out of the way before we go. One less thing to worry about.

#2 wants to know if she can use a visa gift card for her sail & sign account, I am pretty sure she can but would appreciate if someone knows for sure.

I wanted to know when we can actually board the ship. The carnival website says 1:30 but from what I have read you can board earlier, just not get in your cabin yet. And is there a time period to avoid?

Oh and one more thing, what do people recommend bringinng duct tape for? I was thinking maybe for #1 after she indulged in her smuggled liquer?

Any help ya'll can provide will be greatly appreciated. We are so looking forward to this trip, and can't wait for it to get here!

Thanks,

Karen

If sister is caught "smuggling" liquor, they'll take it away. No repercussions. You won't be able to use the "gift card" to activate your S&S. CC/Debit/Cash. Contact your TA concerning prepaying. Carnival won't talk to you if you use one. [FYI: Mentioning a specific TA--any TA--is a "no-no" here] You should be able to get on the ship between 11am-noon. You may not be able to get into your cabin 'til 1:30

I can only answer one of the questions. As far as getting caught with smuggled liquor, if you put it in your checkin luggage, there is a slim to none chance of getting caught. I wouldnt be scared to say as many as 7 of 10 do it. Your not cheating carnival, you will still spend a bundle with them so they dont really care that much.

As another poster stated correctly, the only repercussions would be having your booze confiscated. As one also incorrectly stated, Carnival doesn't mind, they make plenty of money. Of course they mind. Corporations don't have a definition for: "make plenty of money" . . . LOL :rolleyes:

Your SIL can use a Visa card to "establish" her sail'n'sign account, but the Sail'n'Sign card issued by Carnival upon boarding is used for everything aboard the ship, including opening the door to your cabin. :)

The best time to board the ship depends on so many variables, its almost impossible to tell you the BEST time. The ship may be late, there may be immigration issues with the pax, it may be that once in awhile debarking when they also run the crew through immigration which slows up everything and on and on. Sometimes everything goes smoothly and if you were near the front of the line you may be on board @ 11:00 (last year, when the Victory came in EMPTY to New York, and because PLATINUM boards first, I was the 3rd person on board at 10:20 !) :D At other times it may be more like 2:00, or later, if there are problems.

The uses for Duct tape are legendary . . . :D

Oh and one more thing, what do people recommend bringinng duct tape for? I was thinking maybe for #1 after she indulged in her smuggled liquer?

Any help ya'll can provide will be greatly appreciated. We are so looking forward to this trip, and can't wait for it to get here!

Thanks,

Karen

You could use it as stated :p. She could also wrap the entire bottle of liquor in duct tape so it it breaks she won't have shattered glass in her luggage.

Your SIL can use a Visa card to "establish" her sail'n'sign account, but the Sail'n'Sign card issued by Carnival upon boarding is used for everything aboard the ship, including opening the door to your cabin.

A couple of months ago, someone asked about Visa "gift cards". I believe it was Carnival who said they were a problem. Things may have changed since I read that. Heck, things may have changed since 20 minutes ago :D

What port are you in. That makes a difference as to boarding procedures and lines/waits.

As earlier post said - be sure to put any liquor (bubble-wrapped, in big Zip-Loc bag) in CHECKED luggage. Do not put in your carry-on!;)

Be sure to have a "Fun Ship". That's the Drink of the Day the first day. That is my favorite! I drink a lot of those the whole cruise. You keep the souvenir cup and get discount refills on any drink!:D

Have fun!

Lisa:p

We went on the Glory in February and one person in my party tried to use a VISA gift card and was not able to do. She had put $1,000 on it before we left as she had gotten rid of all her credit cards. She ended up having to use her cabinmates sign and sail account and settling up when they got home. She then tried to cash in her VISA card and had a hard time doing that.

Sounds like some conflicting information regarding Visa gift cards and prepaid credit cards.

I would call Carnival directly to inquire, tell them exactly what kind of card you plan to use. Even so, from prior cruisers who have actually tried using a Visa gift card it, it does not work. Maybe the policy has changed. Make sure you have a back up credit card or cash available just in case.

As far as duct tape goes:

In the cabins the single beds can be pushed together to make a King size bed, if you or your loved on do alot of "tossing and turning" the beds can shift and develop the dreaded crack in the middle, some folks use the duct tape to secure the legs of the bed together.

Also many folks use it to make their luggage more identifiable in the "sea of luggage" after debarking the ship.

As far as other uses, I really can't comment. ;)

Happy Cruising!

Thank you all! I realize Carnival would frown on "smuggling booze" onto the cruise, otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to smuggle! LOL Thanks for the advice on wrapping her stuff. It would be horrible to have her running around the ship smelling like tequila, hmmm or would it?

I told SIL #2 to use cash or she can use my card to establish her S & S. Better safe than sorry. Her DH doesn't believe in CC. Poor girl!

Thanks for the tip on the "fun ship" drink. Any more drink suggestions to try? I like to try different ones, and a cruise is a good place to try new things right?

Is anyone else going on the 4 day Sensation on 2/24? What about door decorations? I thought it might be a good idea with SIL #1. Don't want her getting lost, LOL, and it might help her find our cabin if she gets separated. I have already promised her DH I would keep an eye on her.

Any ideas on easing the fears of our DH? They do not think it is a good idea for the 3 of us to leave the country together! I think they are just worried that something will happen and they will miss their hunting trip the week after we get back!

Is there a "must see or do" in either Freeport or Nassau? We really want to see the nature and more of the island than just the port.

Thanks again! You all are great!

Karen

You might want to try the "Miami Vice" [strawberry daquiri and pina colada]. As for food, I'm sure you've heard a lot about the "Chocolate Melting Cake". You also might to be on the lookout for "Bitter and Blanc"/the pumpkin soup/and most any of the "chilled soups".

In fact, most meals "experiment" with something [whether it be duck/escargot/something else]. They'll gladly give you a smaller portion. And I promise they won't say "if you don't eat all your vegetables [or whatever]...no dessert for you." :)

Tell your husbands both ports are exceptionally safe should you stay in the "tourist areas" [and there really isn't a need to leave them]. Those ports have 10s of thousands--if not more--visitors each week. As such, they've long since "figured out" security

How about if she told them to take X number of dollars off the Visa gift card and put in her S&S account. i understand that the gift card itself wouldn't work as a credit card but a deposit from it in a specified amount should work. That should be the same as cash. I would think they would refund you at the end of the cruise if you paid too much. Or call you down to deposit more if you spend what you have taken off the card and need to put in more.

Archived