Dining Room Etiquette

jenny111

I wouldn't want to see that at any restaurant, including a cruise dining room.

I also hate to see (and hear!) ppl using toothpicks in the middle of a restaurant - do it when you leave, folks! It is gross!

Hmmm, ever been to Europe? It is the standard thing to have toothpicks on the table, and each person uses them regularly - but especially at the end of the meal or before dessert. It's not considered rude there.

A few of my European relatives do the toothpick thing at the table and they are from very refined families. What takes the cake is that they cover up this operation with their other hand! (Like we're not supposed to know what they're doing). Back here in the good ole U.S.A. when our dinner parties start lagging, we grab a toothpick and mimic our toothpickin' cousins. It's always good for a change of pace!

Thank you to the OP for what I think has got to be one of the funniest questions ever asked here :D

I'm hopeful I never encounter such bad manners on a cruise or anywhere else, I don't care what country I'm visiting.

Actually, I did once, my grandmother, when she was in her 80's and senile, started eating and then put on her dentures at the table. She sat there for a while, not knowing what to do about it. My mother took her to the bathroom so she could rinse her mouth, Grandma came out after taking off her dress, she had forgotten why she was in there. It turned out fine, we put her dress back on, helped her wash her dentures and brought her back to the table.

There are things that should not be shared with others, public denture rinsing is one of them.

hi Jennie,

It sits right up there with pulling a wedgie out of your bum crack just before sitting down. Or blowing ones nose on the napkin, or putting a fork into the candle flame and burning the napery!

Saw them all on my cruises.

I am still waiting to see someone pee in the pot plant though!!

Kaz

Or eating escargot with vegemite :D

Hmmm' date=' ever been to Europe? It is the standard thing to have toothpicks on the table, and each person uses them regularly - but especially at the end of the meal or before dessert. It's not considered rude there.[/quote']

Yes, I've been there a couple of times to a few different countries and tons of places in them. Haven't ever seen anybody do that.

Whether or not it is considered rude somewhere, it is still utterly disgusting to see and hear.

It's is perfectly acceptable as long as you don't use a tablemate's water glass to dunk them in. Also a long belch after dinner tells the waitstaff of your satisfaction.

Also that you are ready for your next course:p

While not in a cruise ship dining room, I have observed the inappropriate use of a prosthetic device on an airline.

An elderly man had become frustrated with two teenagers carrying on in the seat behind him. After 30min of noise & seat bumping, he turned around to face them and asked them to settle down. One of the teens gave him a mouthful of cheek, so he removed his glass eye and held it out towards them and said "I've got my eye on you two". As gross as this was, there was not a peep out of them for the remainder of the flight.

Cheers

Archived