Is it me or should speedo's be banned.

Coco Loco

Should speedo's be banned  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should speedo's be banned

• Yes
    • No

[

, I just chalked it up to cultural differences.

Dave:eek:

And that's exactly what it is, cultural differences. In Italy my family cannot understand why the Americans swim in such long swim suits! Everyone wears a speedo there. Probably because everyone there usually , as in the Caribbean and in other European countries swim in the ocean instead of in pools and speedos are not cumbersom like baggy swimsuits are. Also it is very hot in the summer in these places and they think that Americans wear far to much to the beach.

Certainly there is nowhere in Europe as hot as the 500 miles of the Texas Coast where millions of people swim in the ocean!

Here on Galveston Island, we are running mid 90s F with an average 75-80% humidity, beach water temperature is 87 F. Yes there are plenty of Speedos and some thongs, but the majority of men at the beach are wearing long trunks down to their knees. Nothing puritanical about it, it's their fashion statement, besides, they don't swim much anyway. There is little to no nudity as that is not yet "fashionable", I'm sure that sooner or later it will be, and I'm fine with that.

But as Liquid Shiva pointed out with the differences in European Countries, you are what you are so either accept it or avoid it, especially if you are the one that's visiting.

Dave, we all know those people, the ones that try to apply their cultural values to another country; that just never seems to work out for them!!

Cultural differences makes travelling so nice!

It opens your vision, and broadens your life, I just love it,

It can be confusing too, for the question of the OP just gave me the same idea to a similar question, like: should jeans be banned from the dining room, or crocks, or something like that,

It never slipped my mind that speedo's could be considered too explicite for family cruising, I guess that's part of the culture I'm from, men in spandex are not explicite (nor are hard rockers, or classic ballet dancers) and nudity is not (particular) mixed up with sex,

Guess I learned something today :rolleyes:

On the other hand: Dutch girls love travelling to latino countries like Spain and Italy, not in the least for the velvet exotic looking men.... in speedos ;)

Certainly there is nowhere in Europe as hot as the 500 miles of the Texas Coast where millions of people swim in the ocean!

Here on Galveston Island, we are running mid 90s F with an average 75-80% humidity, beach water temperature is 87 F. Yes there are plenty of Speedos and some thongs, but the majority of men at the beach are wearing long trunks down to their knees. Nothing puritanical about it, it's their fashion statement, besides, they don't swim much anyway. There is little to no nudity as that is not yet "fashionable", I'm sure that sooner or later it will be, and I'm fine with that.

Ah yes, it gets very hot in many places in America, but we only have to go inot our homes or stores or restaurants or cars to get much needed air conditioned relief, That is not the case in Europe where air conditioning is scarse, Believe me! The point I was trying to make was one reason why our culture is different and it dosn't always have to do with style or sexuality. we really are all different and when we travell we should expect to encounter differences.

It can be confusing too, for the question of the OP just gave me the same idea to a similar question, like: should jeans be banned from the dining room, or crocks, or something like that,

It never slipped my mind that speedo's could be considered too explicite for family cruising, I guess that's part of the culture I'm from, men in spandex are not explicite (nor are hard rockers, or classic ballet dancers) and nudity is not (particular) mixed up with sex,

On the other hand: Dutch girls love travelling to latino countries like Spain and Italy, not in the least for the velvet exotic looking men.... in speedos ;)

Well said

Thank you for the way you put this.

I think this thread has been great. I like to think of myself as "open minded", but I think I started out very close minded - I was the "prude" - and probably still am. But, (besides extremely entertaining) what this thread has done for me, is remind me about cultures and differences. When starting out with my discussions I was staying in my culture of nudity being attached to sexuality and not being modest. Now I am being reminded that in many cultures it is not sexual or not being modest, it is just the culture. And that is o.k. I am still not going to get nude publicly (I try not to even by myself - yuck:( ), but I have become more accepting of those who do. I still don't wish to have that anatomy glaring at me in the face, but I will be less judgemental.

Even if it is cultural (and I admire those that feel comfortable with themselves - as you probably have noticed I am not one of those), there are some that it is just not right to see them in a speedo or a thong, etc.

Linda

Hi Linda....I can fix that window treatment problem...Its what I do for a living.

Crockett...Thats funny. I remember one time in St. Maartin on an excursion that specifically said 'may see some nudity'.....WE took a catamaran to a beach and as we were getting off a number of small boats pulled up with people including children that were completely nude. There was a group of "..... Thumpers" on our trip and they were completely outraged. It was almost funny untill it got REALLY annoying with them and their beliefs. I asked the captain about it and he told me to 'go for it' it was allowed and he didn't care one way or the other. So I walked up to the beach in front of them and their children and dropped my drawers ( board shorts...I didn't have a chance to buy a new speedo that year).

They were outraged ( I was VERY amused :D ). And upon complaining to the captain he simply told them 'Its not only allowed, but practiced daily...Didn't you READ the description of the trip?....WHile they didn't tip him in the end, I made up for it simply to make the point " get over it or stay home"....I did it again the last time we were there and this time others joined in. It was a lot of fun and I made many friends.

Coco Logo....We'll agree to disagree. Where in MA are you from? I was born in North Amherst then spent my life in Hadley. My family owns a ( Polish Mafia ) trucking Company that is very visable....Matuszko Trucking which has recently moved to Sunderland. All kidding aside my only distain from your post was the "Family Cruise" comment.

BTW: I have been in situations where I have looked up only to see not only the outlines of a womans anatomy in a light colored swim suit, but was surprised by the fact that she didn't call the gardener before the cruise to have her lawn mowed....I didn't say any thing, I just chalked it up to cultural differences.

Dave:eek:

Dave, I was the one who made the reference to "family" cruise. I would have you look at Liquid Shivas post and my response. I am opening up to cultural differences and just forgot how culturally diverse cruises are. Just let myself start opening my mouth with the assumption that everyone on a cruise was raised in America and a "prude" like I am. I like to think I am not a prude, but I tend to be more conservative.

Actually, being exposed to cultural differences and having people (who don't call names) open are awareness up to cultural differences being o.k. is a great teaching tool for me to my daughter. Although I will still tell you that we don't get naked because of how we are brought up, it isn't (in most cases) "wrong", just a different way of their environment. I love these threads for that.

By the way, Oak Ridge, Illinois is quite a ways from Idaho. I am thinking those window treatments would be very costly if I ordered from you. I think I might just do that classic "red neck" window treatment of sheets:D At least until we get everything painted in here, we are still waiting for the faux painter to get done, but it will be soon.

I was raised in Champaign, Illinois and spent a couple of years in Elgin, Illinois. Know that area quite well. Has it cooled down there yet? I know it was cool most the summer, then when I came out for a visit (August 2-9) it got really hot and humid.

Linda

speedos look good on certain bodies!! But if its too tight NOPE!!! You shouldn't want to show the family jewels!! lol Also if its supporting but there is not support NOPE!! Women's swimwear you don't even want me to get started on that issue. I could be here for days!! But all in fun if you feel comfortable in you swimwear wear it but don't be surprise if you hear people talking about it!!! :D :D

Thank you for the way you put this.

I think this thread has been great. I like to think of myself as "open minded", but I think I started out very close minded - I was the "prude" - and probably still am. But, (besides extremely entertaining) what this thread has done for me, is remind me about cultures and differences. When starting out with my discussions I was staying in my culture of nudity being attached to sexuality and not being modest. Now I am being reminded that in many cultures it is not sexual or not being modest, it is just the culture. And that is o.k. I am still not going to get nude publicly (I try not to even by myself - yuck:( ), but I have become more accepting of those who do. I still don't wish to have that anatomy glaring at me in the face, but I will be less judgemental.

Even if it is cultural (and I admire those that feel comfortable with themselves - as you probably have noticed I am not one of those), there are some that it is just not right to see them in a speedo or a thong, etc.

Linda

I love the way people are exchanging their thoughts on this thread,

Communication is the key to respect in my point of view,

In Holland (and most W. European countries) it's pretty common to (sun) bathe topless,

Well not for me, I'm very happy with my lovely designer bikini tops, and love to wear them, with a matching slip or sarong, it looks exotic and sexy.

However, my partner and I also like to go to the sauna (is this common in the US?), and well yeah, you run around naked all day, and lay out in the sun, getting an even tan (when the weather permits, hot days are not common here)

Being "dressed" in a bikini, or something like a short skirt, or other minimal sexy stuff, makes me feel more unfcomfortable, than running around naked in a sauna, it has to do with what I do, and feel, not with the flesh showing ;)

Next december we'll be on a W. Car. cruise for 7 days, and we'll have another week time to explore Miami and the Keys,

I've been there before, and did not see, nor feel a lot of differences, I just met a whole bunch of wonderfull people,

I'm VERY much looking forward to make it cross the Atlantic again :o

After this discussion it's surprising to see (so far) 55% voting for a ban. Just how many dress code rules does one need to have a good vacation?

As a people watcher, I don't necessarily think everyone looks equally great... but I keep the negative reviews to myself and enjoy the nice views. Why care how small or large, loose or tight someone's swimwear is? And where do you draw the line?

I love the way people are exchanging their thoughts on this thread,

Communication is the key to respect in my point of view,

In Holland (and most W. European countries) it's pretty common to (sun) bathe topless,

Well not for me, I'm very happy with my lovely designer bikini tops, and love to wear them, with a matching slip or sarong, it looks exotic and sexy.

However, my partner and I also like to go to the sauna (is this common in the US?), and well yeah, you run around naked all day, and lay out in the sun, getting an even tan (when the weather permits, hot days are not common here)

Being "dressed" in a bikini, or something like a short skirt, or other minimal sexy stuff, makes me feel more unfcomfortable, than running around naked in a sauna, it has to do with what I do, and feel, not with the flesh showing ;)

Next december we'll be on a W. Car. cruise for 7 days, and we'll have another week time to explore Miami and the Keys,

I've been there before, and did not see, nor feel a lot of differences, I just met a whole bunch of wonderfull people,

We are also doing the W. Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas, leaving Miami on Nov 25th for 7 days.

Linda

You'll see a lot of speedos and tiny bathing suits on men on Miami Beach. As for the keys, pretty much only in Key West will you see smaller bathing suits.

I think it is Americans who too much associate nudity with sex.

BTW, cruises aren't just marketed as being family vacations. They are also for singles.

I can see right now that if I ever want to be "un Famoso Maleducado Macho Hombre" and star in a Telemundo, I'll have to repackage "Big Jim & the Twins"!! Thanx Hautehouse

One thing we've kind of tap danced around, is that at least here on Galviston Island and Key West Speedos have long been a gay fashion statement. I drove our Seawall a short time ago and every male I saw was wearing jams clear down to their knees, and it's brutally hot out there today.

Quite frankly, I've never been in a ship's pool, nor do I sunbath as skin cancer is an issue in my family. I'll snorkel in water shorts and a rash top.

But, it's always interesting to watch about 2000+ people and their bathing attire thrown together on a cruise ship. I will say that Speedos have made me wish they would make the elevators larger!!

KEEP THE SPEEDOS! They help me to decide whether or not to buy the guy a drink!

Coka

So, do you buy a guy a drink because he wears speedos or because he looks good in a speedo:D :rolleyes: ?

No slamming on me, just a fun, friendly question.

Linda

LOL I've been wondering for years why mr. Beckham was so incredible popular with the women here everywhere in W. Europe,

Now I khow why :p

Linda, we cross each other in november,

We'll fly to Miami on the 28th of november, sail on the 1st of december for a week, and stay another 4 days.

*counting the days*

So, do you buy a guy a drink because he wears speedos or because he looks good in a speedo:D :rolleyes: ?

No slamming on me, just a fun, friendly question.

Linda

gee, the answer to that should be easy!.. if he looks that good, I'll up the ante and buy him 2 drinks !!

LOL I've been wondering for years why mr. Beckham was so incredible popular with the women here everywhere in W. Europe,

Now I khow why :p

"Bend it like Beckam" takes on a whole new meaning!!

It seems we have paid to have him for a time, he ought to fit right in with the bimbos, like Paris Hilton etc getting arrested in LA.

Liquid Shiva (Hindu Goddess?) I've enjoyed Northern Europe and Amsterdam, although it was the most American of cities which might not be a good thing. Perhaps you can help me remember an ancient Restaurant there from the 1600s called "The Black Ram" in English that served lamb from Bresse with the taste of the sea.

gee, the answer to that should be easy!.. if he looks that good, I'll up the ante and buy him 2 drinks !!

I was hoping that was your reasoning, but you never know. You could be buying someone in speedos a drink because they are so brave to even wear one (you know one of those people that think it is a right):eek: .

Linda

If you mean those skimpy men's suits that many men wear who no longer have the body for wearing them-no I am not a fan of them but the BRAND I see nothing wrong with. I had a very modest tankini that was Speedo brand that I wore out I wore it so much.

I guess it is sort've like Crocs. Most of us think of a certain STYLE of shoe which may not even be that BRAND that we dislike but as many have told us that that BRAND has some attractive styles of shoes. So I guess with both those brands there are styles I associate with them that I do not care for but it does not mean there is anything wrong with the brand.

"Bend it like Beckam" takes on a whole new meaning!!

It seems we have paid to have him for a time, he ought to fit right in with the bimbos, like Paris Hilton etc getting arrested in LA.

Liquid Shiva (Hindu Goddess?) I've enjoyed Northern Europe and Amsterdam, although it was the most American of cities which might not be a good thing. Perhaps you can help me remember an ancient Restaurant there from the 1600s called "The Black Ram" in English that served lamb from Bresse with the taste of the sea.

Shiva is a Hindu God, he resembles destruction and creation (the one does not to without the other), I added liquid, as water (liquid) is the main source of life (we are born out of liquid)

The restaurant you mentioned sounds good (I like lamb!), but it does not come to my mind; it was in Amsterdam? And when were you there?

Was the name written in Dutch, or in some other language, like French, and was the food French, or maybe Belgium?

I do like Amsterdam, but just for a visit,

I live in the northern part of Holland, in a kind of similar town, but more tranquil, laid back, things go slower here, if I want to be in the buzz, it only takes two hours to drive (Holland is small!)

The restaurant you mentioned sounds good (I like lamb!), but it does not come to my mind; it was in Amsterdam? And when were you there?

Was the name written in Dutch, or in some other language, like French, and was the food French, or maybe Belgium?

I do like Amsterdam, but just for a visit,

I live in the northern part of Holland, in a kind of similar town, but more tranquil, laid back, things go slower here, if I want to be in the buzz, it only takes two hours to drive (Holland is small!)

I believe it might have been at Leidseplein and was Dutch in 1990, I had represented Galveston in a Sister City event in Stavanger then went up to Bergen and Eurailed down to Oslo, Copenhagen, Mainze for a Rhine cruise down to Cologne and ended with a couple of days in beautiful Amsterdam.

I speak excellent Texan and passable English, so most folks I encountered particularly the Danes and the Dutch spoke better English then I did.

As you love to Cruise Shiva have you ever been down to the Antillies, Bonaire, Curacao, & Aruba? Wonderful Dutch islands with some of the best diving in the world. Plenty of Speedos there.

Archived