christian services

sailing soon on the freedom of the seas [with a bit of luck unless dean spoils it] the wife would like to know is there a christian denomination service on a sunday that she may go too [not me am a heathen she says]

They have a do-it-yourself service in the wedding chapel. If a minister or preacher is along on the cruise and no one else steps up, they may wind up running it. We're not ministers and the one time we attended we wound up organizing it for the fifteen or so people in attendance.

So far they've had one on each of my cruises. Although once it was just a CD assistant with only 2 in attendance and not really much of a service.

On Easter Sunday this year a priest did 2 services. One service was Catholic and the other was Protestant/inter-denominational. DH and I compared notes since he went to one and I went to the other. It was the EXACT same service. :) We thought that was funny...people are sure set in their ways and have to go to "their" own service.

The best one I went to was conducted by a head waiter who brought another crew member who played the guitar. He was great and really commited. His name is Francesco Orlando and I think he has moved onto one of the larger ships. He used to be on Majesty OS.

I've been to one service on the Navigator about 2 years ago. It think that was because the Navigator left on a Saturday, so we went on sunday morning. They had it on deck 5 in the lounge by the promenade cafe. Last year on the Mariner, I did not see any kid of service.

What I am thinking this year is, my group will attend early on sunday morning, because we are flying in a day early. It is either that, or miss 2 weeks of service instead of just 1.

We were on the Jewel last Oct. for a 12 day repo. We had a priest who said mass every morning. He also did a non-denominational service on Sunday. Usually on Sat. evening they have a Jewish service, if no Rabbi they ask for someone to lead the service.

My experience is on a 7 day cruise there usually is not a formal service of any denomination. On longer cruises there is often a Catholic Priest onboard for Mass and non denominational services. If a Priest happens to be a passenger (had this twice) they may or may not elect to hold Mass either daily or Sat or Sun.

I guess because most of the 7 day cruises do not encompass all day Sunday, either at the begining or at the end of the cruise, they figure you can get to Mass or church service either before or after the cruise.

We were on the Jewel last Oct. for a 12 day repo. We had a priest who said mass every morning. He also did a non-denominational service on Sunday. Usually on Sat. evening they have a Jewish service, if no Rabbi they ask for someone to lead the service.

On our previous cruises, we have have attended several Friday night and/or Saturday Jewish services. Having a Rabbi on board is nice, but not a requirement as long as we can fill a minyon (yiddish for 'quorum') of ten men who have been bar mitzvahed. I'm not the most religious person out there, but having a service at sea -- regardless of ones' religious persuasion -- is a beautiful experience.

Michael

Priest can probably do a non-denominational service, but it probably wouldn't be "exactly" the same as a Catholic Mass, would it?

Catholic Masses center on the Eucharist, while Protestant services are probably more sermon-centered (if that's the right term, maybe "Homily-centered" would be better).

It is required of Catholics to attend a Mass every Sunday (or Saturday night), so on a cruise it's sometimes difficult to work that in. Having a priest would be a bonus for Catholics. There are also Catholic apologetics cruises that have been popular, where they have Mass every day.

So far they've had one on each of my cruises. Although once it was just a CD assistant with only 2 in attendance and not really much of a service.

On Easter Sunday this year a priest did 2 services. One service was Catholic and the other was Protestant/inter-denominational. DH and I compared notes since he went to one and I went to the other. It was the EXACT same service. :) We thought that was funny...people are sure set in their ways and have to go to "their" own service.

The best one I went to was conducted by a head waiter who brought another crew member who played the guitar. He was great and really commited. His name is Francesco Orlando and I think he has moved onto one of the larger ships. He used to be on Majesty OS.

Thanks Mommabean for the info. I plan to volunteer to lead services on the Brilliance, but if there are musicians around it's helpful - hopefully there will be some.

Fran in Toronto

My experience is on a 7 day cruise there usually is not a formal service of any denomination. On longer cruises there is often a Catholic Priest onboard for Mass and non denominational services. If a Priest happens to be a passenger (had this twice) they may or may not elect to hold Mass either daily or Sat or Sun.

I guess because most of the 7 day cruises do not encompass all day Sunday, either at the begining or at the end of the cruise, they figure you can get to Mass or church service either before or after the cruise.

Almost all the cruise lines try to arrange for a priest, even on the shorter cruises. On cruises of ten days or more they do try to put a Protestant minister of some denomination onboard - most often retired, or some who happen to be sailing anyway and are willing to lead services.

Fran in Toronto

RCI offer a free cruise to priests or religeous leaders of certain denominations if they give a minimum number of services during the cruise. For a priest, this is a pretty good deal and all long cruises I have been on have had masses. On the last one there was a catholic mass and a non-denominational service. The same priest led both!

On our previous cruises, we have have attended several Friday night and/or Saturday Jewish services. Having a Rabbi on board is nice, but not a requirement as long as we can fill a minyon (yiddish for 'quorum') of ten men who have been bar mitzvahed. I'm not the most religious person out there, but having a service at sea -- regardless of ones' religious persuasion -- is a beautiful experience.

Michael

To clarify (and to share more Jewish law than you probably want to know): for the purposes of a minyan the group must include ten or more adult Jews. In Orthodox settings the group must include ten or more Jewish men. Whether or not they have had a bar mitzvah ceremony is irrelevant. (In Judaism boys age 13 and girls age 12 are considered adults.)

Certain prayers may only be recited in the prescence of a minyan.

Awww, don't look for the musicians. Do it acapella, that is the way it was done in the 1st century.

(Actually, that is the way it was done until the 900's when instrumental music was added by the Catholic Church. Most Protestant leaders of the 16th century opposed instruments in worship. The Greek Orthodox churches still do it acapella.)

Archived