Question on distance in Barcelona!!

We were at the Meridien on Las Rablas and the concierge gave us wonderful directions via the subway to La Sagrada Familia. As for the other Gaudi sights, you will find the on-off buses wonderful -- there are two directions covered. We used two days to do this.

Sheila

Hello

We are staying at the Citadines on Las Ramblas, address is 122 Ramblas and we want to go to the La Sagrada Familia. Is this close enough to walk to from our hotel or do we need transportation?

Thanks

Brenda

It's a very very long walk, about an hour, but if you can do it then you should. You'll walk through lovely neighborhoods and wide avenues. I love how street corners are cut back in Barcelona!

I walked from my hotel (about 10 minutes away from Las Ramblas) to Sagrada Familia and I'm not a walker! I took two stops, one at Casa Batllo and another at a neighborhood cafe.

You can take the metro and get there in 15 minutes.

"I love how street corners are cut back in Barcelona!"

Do you mean that the curbs are dropped down to roadway level (called "curb cuts" or "curb cores" here in the U.S.??

That would be great news for someone like myself who uses a power scooter to get about! Without curb cuts it is almost impossible to cross a street. The U.S. has them b/c of our A.D.A. laws.

Will be in Barcelona next May. Anxious to hear reply.

thanks.

"I love how street corners are cut back in Barcelona!"

Do you mean that the curbs are dropped down to roadway level (called "curb cuts" or "curb cores" here in the U.S.??

That would be great news for someone like myself who uses a power scooter to get about! Without curb cuts it is almost impossible to cross a street. The U.S. has them b/c of our A.D.A. laws.

Will be in Barcelona next May. Anxious to hear reply.

thanks.

What you're referring to are ramps or "curb cuts".

Some street corners in Barcelona aren't like the 90 degree angle corners like we have here. The corners are cut off at an angle. This old picture of Casa Mila illustrates the corner.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=5843&rendTypeId=4

There are many corners like this in Barcelona, especially on Paseig de Gracia (the street that Casa Mila and Casa Batllo are on). Here is another example:

http://i.xanga.com/justbee/t/DSC01358.JPG

Archived