Disembarkation question for 'Windsor' passsengers

Highly Sociable

We are booked on the Windsor package on our Westbound TA.

Can anyone who has previously been on this tell me how long it takes to get from the ship to the Hotel.

I know on the reverse trip last year it was a straight forward coach ride that took around an hour - but I seem to recall that I have read some where that because the rooms in the hotel won't be ready until mid afternoon they take you on a long drawn out sight seeking trip - with lunch at Macy's!. This is right or have I dreamt it?

Would you advise us making our own way to the hotel (Sheraton Towers)and if so, what would this cost? There are 4 of us.

Thanks

With an early morning arrival into New York there are several hours to kill between disembarkation and hotel check-in - hence the tour. There is no reason why you can't 'opt out' of the tour, but you need to let them know else the bus will sit at the dock waiting for you to board. Lunch is at different places (there are many buses doing the same thing) - last year we had our lunch at Grand Central Station. As first-timers to New York, it was quite good for us but others did find it a bit of a drag. One couple 'bailed out' when the bus arrived in central Manhatten - they left their luggage on the bus (which was always secure) went off to meet someone for lunch and were reunited with their bags at the hotel.

No idea of the cost of going solo.

J

I always book hotels independently after crossings, at least since my first trip.

My view is that it's cheaper, and easier. The first trip was dreadfully organised - long drawn out tour and then chaos when we finally arrived at the Waldorf=Astoria.

They wouldn't let me cancel my transfer to JFK without paying a fee - I didn't want to use their air and hadn't been well advised by my Travel Agent. So the e-ticket was sent to me and a transfer organised. I had my own plane ticket home.

In the end I made my own way to JFK on the morning of departure. Presumably someone came to collect me that same evening, and I was a no-show, and then a no-show on the plane.

If you book your hotel independently, then you simply get a cab to the hotel, check in, drop your luggage and then go off for lunch. Simple!

Matthew

Archived