A disaster waiting to happen?

flagger

No this is not a scare the heck out of you type post. It is just some random thoughts that have come across my synapses while reading the final report on 9/11. The one thing that stands out echoes what Frank Borman said after the Apollo 1 fire. "The failure of imagination" rings in my head through and through.

I read on one board about someone failing to get their luggage after their Alaska cruise. In fact, according to her, it ended up going on another cruiseline's roundtrip cruise to Alaska this summer. It makes me think that maybe there needs to be laws on ships calling on US ports for positive bag matching against each passenger to their bags or the removal of the bag from the ship prior to sailing.

Then I begin to think in a post 9/11 world of the safety of putting your luggage out by midnight and possibly never seeing it again until you reach your final destination. Certainly you cannot say to the airline employee that the luggage has been in your posession since you packed it. (Do they even ask that question anymore?) In the mad rush to the airport who really looks over their bags after walking down the gangway or would know if something had been placed inside.

Fatalistic, improbable scare tactics and theories you say? Maybe, but I still have questions and see flies in the ointment and definitely holes that need to be addressed.

Positive checking on airlines is for checked luggage only. Since they don't number or check the baggage coming out, or in for that matter they have no way to know whether anything is "left" on board..Hand luggage is left on planes all the time... Should they do more? of course... will you accept the increased waiting time to get on board. NY uses sniffer dogs on all cars parked at the pier and there are dogs in the pier when you are getting on...

All the security measures used now certainly cut down the possibilities, but I believe if a terrorist is intent on a certain target, he probably has a good chance of achieving his goal, especially if it's one that is not highly suspected at the time. I think we just need to be as aware as possible, go on with our daily lives and hope and pray we're not where they are.

It crossed my mind the other day that I would be on board a ship on 9/11. Bt what can I do to protect myself. I refuse to alter my way of living. I will try to be alert and aware of my surroundings and people around me but Iwon't "run scared". I know more can be done for security but I'm not going to hide in my closet and hope some nut next door is not experimenting with explosives!

Flagger:

Without us knowing it they may be doing what your suggest and I have an example that occurred to me on my last cruise. We went on the Galaxy in June of 03 with the trip originally being my wife, son, daughter, MIL, wifes aunt and myself. Shortly before the trip, my wife's aunt became ill and was not able to make the trip. (Thank god for insurance) While packing, I had one extra bag for us and used a baggage tag with wife's aunt's name on it. Sometime during the evening of boarding all our luggage appeared except this bag. We went to customer service and located the piece of luggage. Turns out they caught that she was not on the cruise. I felt pretty good in the long run that they did. This was in Baltimore, do not know if this is done everywhere.

Don

Positive checking on airlines is for checked luggage only. Since they don't number or check the baggage coming out, or in for that matter they have no way to know whether anything is "left" on board..Hand luggage is left on planes all the time... Should they do more? of course... will you accept the increased waiting time to get on board. NY uses sniffer dogs on all cars parked at the pier and there are dogs in the pier when you are getting on...
they have dogs in Port Everglades also,,,,I would certainly accept the extra waiting time toget on board, unfortunately there are many people who would not,,the lessons of 9/11 have not been learned by all:eek: ...

I accept the increased waiting times to board a plane now. DFW is one airport that requires the removal of shoes 95% of the times I or Ms. Flagger has flown from here.

Again, I am not meaning to be fatalistic and it is not going to stop me from taking a cruise or from flying. However, if I can think of it, so can "they". I do know the report of one passenger stated that their bag failed to materialise after their cruise and after the poster investigated it was discovered that the bag took another cruise to Alaska on a different line all together.

Secondly, you do have to ask about the checks into the staff that handle your luggage from the time it is put out at midnight until you retrieve it either at the pier or at your home airport. Certainly that is a "hole" worth addressing.

I don't put faith in the current TSA system to fully protect us as I have stated before. The last report I read still showed that they were failing to detect many "prohibited" items across the system.

If I was a terrorist I would be watching the news at night. The media gives us all kinds of possibilites for terrorist attacks, I might think to myself, hey, I didn't think of that one. My confidence in our own security was given a blow a few months ago on 60 minutes. They showcased a reporter that was able to walk right in a number of nuclear facilities without anyone stopping him. It was outrageous, but to this date nothing has been done to assure that that could not happen again. This reporter either walked through the gate or found a hole in a fence and walked in. If you look american, nobody will stop you. That is very scary. :(

Certainly you cannot say to the airline employee that the luggage has been in your posession since you packed it. (Do they even ask that question anymore?)

they dont ask it anymore---imo they realized that everyone says yes even though they didnt have their eyes on the bag every second before checking--bags are put in the trunk of a taxi or limo--------we have put the bags in the trunk of a car and have then gone into a restaurant for dinner before the flight and we certainly didnt bring the bags in with dinner -----imo almost everyone says yes to that question even though its not true --------but we all know the results of saying no

Archived