DVD's available to watch in suite

zelker

DVDs? No implied criticism but what would you want to watch on board where you have paid for the cruise that you could not watch at home?

We rarely had time to use our TV. We watched perhaps 10 minutes of news in 14 days, looked at the daily weather, glanced at the ship GPS, stumbled across some of the ship board channels and had the TV on for no more that an hour in 14 days.

The ship had a cinema with 14 films in 3 performances over the 14 days. We managed one hour of King Kong one night and the whole of The Queen another.

The rest of the time we were simply too engaged and we missed all the onboard lectures and activities too. Just too much to do, oh, and eat. Eating took perhaps 4 hours per day :)

You might want to make sure you actually have a DVD. Several threads here have conflicting opinions. Unless you have a PH there is no guarentee. Our RS on Infinity in April had a VCR.

Getting the disk in a PH (at least way back when the summit was new) there was a list near the TV/DVD/CD combo. Tapes I they had at Notes I think, but it depends on what ship you are going to be on.

As far as watching TV/Movies/etc, its your cruise and you should do what you want.

We had a DVD player in our CS on the Summit. I don't know if you'll have a VCR or DVD but... The butler suggested (and I think he was right) that we go to the front desk to make our own selection. Go to Guest Services and tell them you want a DVD (I don't know about videos), they'll have you look through a selection of titles in a binder/notebook, pick one (or 2, or 3...), and if no other passenger has checked it out it's yours. The selection is pretty limited. Imagine you live in a town of 2-3 thousand people. Now imagine the Blockbuster there. Some classics, some (fairly) new releases. A little something to satisfy most tastes. Now imagine no late fees. Some pax get a movie and keep it the whole cruise, others return the movie within a couple of hours. Bottom line - don't count on any movie and then you may be happily surprised.:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Well, from what I've read, it sounds like it's DVD players but guess we won't know til we board. Seems silly that they would go to the expense to install 2 plasma tv's though and then have VCR's. Thanks for letting me know about the list at Guest Services, Denise. I'll definitely check into it.

And as far as having time to watch a movie, if nothing else we like to fall asleep watching one and besides, we don't spend 4+ hours a day eating on our cruise so guess we'll have some spare time. :rolleyes: And finally, if the entertainment is in the toilet for this cruise, we'll be looking for things to do in the evening and watching a movie we haven't had a chance to rent at home yet might just fit the bill.

Each to their own, right? ;)

Well, from what I've read, it sounds like it's DVD players but guess we won't know til we board. Seems silly that they would go to the expense to install 2 plasma tv's though and then have VCR's. Thanks for letting me know about the list at Guest Services, Denise. I'll definitely check into it.

And as far as having time to watch a movie, if nothing else we like to fall asleep watching one and besides, we don't spend 4+ hours a day eating on our cruise so guess we'll have some spare time. :rolleyes: And finally, if the entertainment is in the toilet for this cruise, we'll be looking for things to do in the evening and watching a movie we haven't had a chance to rent at home yet might just fit the bill.

Each to their own, right? ;)

Celebrity did an extreme upgrade of their vidio on demand and had a lot of recent films on it. Obviously, not free. The cynic in me says that they want to have you watch it vs. a vhs or dvd to get the extra bucks.

We actually were going to have some folks over to watch "Borat". Thank god we didn't or we might have been thrown overboard ;).

Its your cruise - Carpe Diem.

Celebrity did an extreme upgrade of their vidio on demand and had a lot of recent films on it. Obviously, not free. The cynic in me says that they want to have you watch it vs. a vhs or dvd to get the extra bucks.

We actually were going to have some folks over to watch "Borat". Thank god we didn't or we might have been thrown overboard ;).

Its your cruise - Carpe Diem.

I forgot about "on demand" movies. Guess that's always an option if they aren't too expensive. Do you remember pricing?

I forgot about "on demand" movies. Guess that's always an option if they aren't too expensive. Do you remember pricing?

If I remember about $8-12 bucks. Sorry for the large range (I'm thinking about 10) but we didn't watch any. Its in the range that a hotel normally charges, not too outraguous. Don't know if you can stop/pause/rewind ... either. Probably not.

I've heard folks talking about taking portable DVDs on and then hooking them up to the Plasma screens but I don't have any solid information how to do that.

On the Infinity, it was at the end of the NCAA basketball tournment so the only time the TV got a workout was when the semis/final were on.

Archived