Help for toga party... links to photos

monicajay

For all of you who are into the "Toga Night" , I stumbled onto this website and it has given me tons of ideas. The trick seems to be in planning for a few accesories.

http://www.howtomakeatoga.info/

Any of you recent Costa cruisers have info or photos to share of your toga party???:o

We are going to a costume party this weekend so I decided to do the "two birds" thing and plan my toga now. I'll be all set when it is time to cruise.

My wife and I have sailed Costa three times with 2 coming up. So we have attended 3 toga parties so far. The first one we used the sheets supplied by the ship. We enjoyed it so much my wife decide to make our custom made Toga's. She couldn't find any patterns she liked so I searched the internet and found a toga for a man and one for a woman. I showed her the pictures she like them. She looked at them and then made them without a pattern. Her and I both had to try them on and have final fittings and all that.

When she got them completely done I told her the truth about the toga's.

Mine was similar to one a Roman Senator would wear. Her's is almost an exact replica of one a Temple prosititue would wear. I now find it rather amusing to tell everyone we meet on ship who I am and who my wife is. We have been stopped on ship numerous times to have our picture taken because of our toga's.

She hate me telling folks who would of worn her toga but I find it kind of funny.

Don

Don,

Do you know if Costa does the toga parties on the transatlancti cruises? We are booked on the Mediterranea in April from Ft Lauderdale to Genoa. I see you are doing a transatlanctic in November, will you report back? Thank you.

Elsie:cool:

Don,

Do you know if Costa does the toga parties on the transatlancti cruises? We are booked on the Mediterranea in April from Ft Lauderdale to Genoa. I see you are doing a transatlanctic in November, will you report back? Thank you.

Elsie:cool:

I don't know now but will do a review when I get back.

Don

This is our toga group on the Mediterranea last March.....I made all the togas for our cruise

Jan

Great job on the togas! Did you use a commercial pattern or did you make your own? I'm not much of a seamstress, but thought I might give it a try. I would appreciate any info you can provide. Again, great job on the togas!

There will be 12 of us on the 1/19/08 Mediterranea cruise and I have all the fabric purchased and will be making everyone's.

Not sure if I'll be able to talk the in-laws into wearing togas as they are pretty conservative.

My kids will be wearing theirs for halloween as well.

Jan, I can hardly buy a pattern without changing something! I've been known to use 3 or 4 for a single garment. That pattern making class I took in college has come in handy.

If you see a group with really bright colored togas, that'll be us!

Annie

I am new to costa cruises but a bit of an old hand at making toga's but those patterns look great - will definitely give them a try for my forthcoming cruise - thank you Jan! ;)

I have come across another website that shows how to make both male and female toga's quite easily that may be useful for everyone.

http://how-to-make-a-toga.blogspot.com

Magz

Magz001,

Welcome to CC. Thanks for the Link, I loved the English accent on the youtube video.

Well, I made it to our toga party on Saturday night. I forgot my camera so I am still waiting for a friend to e-mail me pictures. I will post as soon as I get them.

I am glad I went to a party before our cruise. I had a wardrobe malfunction with the straps I had attached to sandals and wrapped my calfs with. They fell all the time. The rest worked very well but I should have had more safety pins.

My husband and I each used 4 1/2 yards of white knitted polyester, I bought 54 inches wide and cut it in half, so each of us had a piece 27 inches wide. It worked great. The fabric drapped very well. We each also had 1 and 1/2 yards of a crinkly gold fabric to drape over the shoulder.

The head pieces were made with pieces of coat hanger and small leaves I got from a craft store. I used 22 gage wire to attach the leaves to the coat hangers.

It was really easy and I am not usually a crafty type person.

My husband started wrapping at the waist, while I used my bra as something to tuck the first wrap around of fabric into.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to get dressed up.

Good luck to all:D

I used these two patterns below

for the ones with a bare sholder I used

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M2895.htm?tab=costumes&page=7

For the men's I used this one and made the top longer....

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4644&show=1

It is easy, and you can do it!!!!

Jan

Jan, thanks for the links to the patterns. I'm definately going to give them a try. I will probably use the second pattern for both my DH and myself. Hope mine turn out as good as yours!

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

WOW,:D :D

Thank you for the wonderful pics. I just showed my DH and he is so happy to see he won't be alone wearing a toga. I had made him promise to wear one be he keeps thinking he will look "goofy".

Anybody else have pictures to share??

Any other theme night pictures on Costa would be good too.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived