Question for anyone who has been to VNP recently

KKCruisers

We were there last week. It wasn't cold, per se, but it was extremely windy.

If you have it, bring a light jacket with a hood. We wore shorts, and were fine, but hats were flying all over the place. I had a lightweight jacket with a hood, and it was great.

It will be a little cooler on the summit of Kilauea near Volcano House and the Visitor Center. If you travel down the Chain of Craters road it will be warmer near the coast. I was there in January 3 years ago and there was snow on Mauna Loa. It was around 50 at night on the summit so should be a little warmer now.

Pat

I am trying to decide what to pack for VNP. How cold was it when you were there and do you think Capri's and a light jacket would be OK. Really appreciate a reply. We leave Friday for Honolulu.

Mahalo,

Kat

Kat - we were just there two weeks ago. My DH, DD, DS and I all wore shorts, but we did take sweatshirts with us and were fine. It was just windy and we did get rained on a bit. But...in Hawaii getting rained on is wonderful! Have a great time.

It will be a little cooler on the summit of Kilauea near Volcano House and the Visitor Center. If you travel down the Chain of Craters road it will be warmer near the coast. I was there in January 3 years ago and there was snow on Mauna Loa. It was around 50 at night on the summit so should be a little warmer now.

Pat

Maybe, but don't count on it. We stayed at Volcano House one June and it was in the 50s every night. Definitely light jacket weather.

beachchick

Bring or at least plan to purchase a sweatshirt because it is extremely possible that you will need one in VNP. We have family who operates a B&B on the outskirts of the park (Volcano Village) and we have seen it go from extremely mild to extremely chilly in one afternoon. If it's rainy, it can be downright cold, even in the middle of summer.

Remember that you are at 4,000 feet above sea level there, so make sure you bring really good sun screen as well.

Charlie

a light jacket will be fine. it rained while we were there. make sure to wear shoes not sandals!

I have really heavy water shoes. They are like sneakers, Will they be ok, or should I pack my sneakers too. I was trying to limit the shoe situation by using the water shoes.

Thanks everyone for the help on what to wear. I planned on wearing a jersey jacket that has a hood and Capri's.

Mahalo,

Kat

Archived