Beach Straw tote bag

Joanniebop

Have been looking on line for a tote bag. Something that I can take off the ship for shopping, etc. I like the straw bag look.

Should have a zipper closing, you know , so that things don't fall out when you go thru security coming back on the ship. Long handles so that I can securely carry on my shoulder and close to my body.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I love straw handbags! I have a hard time finding them with a zipper top.

I did a search and found this one:

http://www.americanbridal.com/beach-bag-emb035.html

americanbridal_1960_609753449

I tend to prefer a cotton tote bag to straw, though. I can carry my straw handbags easily enough, but a tote bag being larger and heavier, I tend to carry it lower. The straw is scratchy against my legs. I know the straw bags I do have were chosen not just for style, but smoothness as well.

My husband would agree with many people that I'm too picky :o

I LOVE tote bags. I have several (they're what I use for work every day and they come in handy for shopping, travel, etc) Straw tends to scratch me (and not last too long with all the stuff I tend to put in my bags:rolleyes: ) I like some of the cute canvas bags available now with feminine prints on them--Bass has some cute ones, Eddie Bauer, Lands End. I don't think I've ever seen a straw bag with a zipper. For travel, I do like nylon or microfiber because it's easier to wash & dries quickly if I get something on it. I have a Timbuk3 bag as a carry-on right now--love it! I'm actually shopping for a new work bag now, but I want leather (or at least leather trim--lighter weight) for fall/winter. Not sure how much straw is still available in stores....

Where are you cruising? If you are doing the Bahamas or Caribbean, why not wait till you get there and pick up something there. They'll have tons...both straw and canvas. And at unbelievably low cost. I prefer canvas too, as you can pack them flat.

I LOVE tote bags. I have several (they're what I use for work every day and they come in handy for shopping, travel, etc) Straw tends to scratch me (and not last too long with all the stuff I tend to put in my bags:rolleyes: ) I like some of the cute canvas bags available now with feminine prints on them--Bass has some cute ones, Eddie Bauer, Lands End. I don't think I've ever seen a straw bag with a zipper. For travel, I do like nylon or microfiber because it's easier to wash & dries quickly if I get something on it. I have a Timbuk3 bag as a carry-on right now--love it! I'm actually shopping for a new work bag now, but I want leather (or at least leather trim--lighter weight) for fall/winter. Not sure how much straw is still available in stores....

Oh, I am so glad I'm not alone with the scratchy straw bag thing :)

Where are you cruising? If you are doing the Bahamas or Caribbean, why not wait till you get there and pick up something there. They'll have tons...both straw and canvas. And at unbelievably low cost. I prefer canvas too, as you can pack them flat.

That's probably the best idea.

I remember last year when I was in some little town in Mexico and saw a really cute tote..perfect colors and size and a great price. Don't know why I didn't buy it then, but I think that the bag I was using was in pretty good condition but now, the zipper is broken.

So, I will do just that and wait for the cruise which is in November and am going to Central America and Mexico.

Thanks everyone for your info and input.

Consider a cute nylon beach bag. If you do any boat excusions or go to the beach the nylon bags hold up better if they happen to get wet.

I use mine when I go to the pool as well and I can put the nylon one down on the deck and not worry if it gets wet.

They are also lighter in weight when you start filling it up with your travel buys.

I would try and find one with a zipper and packs flat in your suitcase.

Another thing I always bring is a small nylon long strap purse for my seapass, credit card and cash for when I'm on the ship or go off ship. I wear it across my body so my hands are free.

I had a black leather one but I found that the dye can come off on your clothes if you sweat some. I bought a nylon one and never had that problem again.

Hi Cathy

Great idea for using a nylon type purse with a long strap for those little thinks like the sea pass, credit card and cash. I usually wind up using a dressy small purse that has long straps to go across my body, but I like your idea a lot better.

Thanks

I like straw handbags during the summer, but always found the larger totes to not be as durable as I'd like. And they do scratch me up as well. I use either a canvas tote, or my beach tote. My beach tote is one of those double plastic ones from Target ... it works well because when I zip it up if I get caught in a rainstorm everything stays dry. (well except me)

That's probably the best idea.

I remember last year when I was in some little town in Mexico and saw a really cute tote..perfect colors and size and a great price. Don't know why I didn't buy it then, but I think that the bag I was using was in pretty good condition but now, the zipper is broken.

So, I will do just that and wait for the cruise which is in November and am going to Central America and Mexico.

Thanks everyone for your info and input.

I bought a gorgeous pink and blue straw tote in Cozumel last year. It was at a casual jewelry store on the main street. They had tons of colors and the price was around $10. No zipper but so cute.

Melissa

• 3 weeks later...

I love straw bags! I just bought one from Zappos. It's a Brighton and I love Brighton bags, I am a Brighton fanatic.

I think a straw bag looks and feels like beach/summertime.

But it doesn't have a zipper top closure. It does have a zipper pocket in the lining which works just fine for me.

Archived