Will suite prices drop? Can you be upgraded to larger suite?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

Just wondering if I should watch prices, I know it's unlikely.

I'm also wondering if anyone was ever in an SS or CS and upgraded to an RS? Again, probably unlikely, but I've heard it happens on occasion.

Poseidon,

Yes, by all means continue to watch the prices. They use inventory management software and are constantly adjusting prices. If a certain category of stateroom, or a particular sailing is not selling well, they will adjust the price, or offer a promotional airfare. We booked our South America cruise in May in a 2A Verandah including air. About a month later, I noticed that the prices for Concierge Class staterooms including air were lowered (quite a bit) below what we had been quoted for the 2A Verandah. We switched to the Concierge Class stateroom for less than we would have paid for the standared verandah stateroom. The airfare was about half of what we would have paid for the 2A.

By all means check the prices regularly.

Happy Sailing!

We've tried to get upgraded to a RS, but every time we were told we had to pay the full price difference between the cabin we booked and the upgraded one---if there was even one available, but those RS go really fast and early in the booking process. And no, the general rule of thumb is that the most expensive and least expensive cabins book early and first, so you rarely, if ever, see the big sutes with lower prices. I actually stood in line to check in on one cruise and the couple in front of me wanted to upgrade to a RS from the SS, and they were told it could cost $2000 per person for that upgrade.

Poseidon - I check every week or two just in case the RS price is lowered - it happens...rarely, but sometimes (CC was lowered $150 pp on my cruise:D; RS INCREASED ~$150 pp:eek: and then went back down to the price I already had:rolleyes:). As for upgrades from one suite cat to another. X (and the other 3 lines I've sailed) say "No". You have to pay the difference. Many pax (loved by the "Upgrade Fairy") find themselves upgraded TO a suite but I've never heard of anyone upgraded for free from one suite category to another. Keep checking X web site for price changes! Good luck!!!:)

Denise

Just wondering where you look to see if the prices are changing? I keep looking under the cruise line's web site and never seem to see any difference.

Thanks

Kathy

Here is my method:

I keep a written record of the pricing. If you just look at the prices on the website, they'll always look the same. They don't put a "discount today" note by any prices that have been lowered. You might never realize the difference in price. (OK, I know some "professional" shoppers who keep the price of everything in their head, but I just don't seem to be able to do that)

I check the pricing regularly by doing a "dummy" reservation. That is, go through the whole reservation with and without airfare to see what the final total including taxes will be, without actually making the reservation. And I write down these prices. You'd be amazed at how often they change. Now, will it happen on every sailing and very itinerary? No. But look around and you'll see the differece over time. We'll be paying about $1,200 less than the currenly posted price for our Concerige Class stateroom for our upcoming cruise.

And not only the cruise price can change. They often lower the air price to attract new bookings, but they will never flag these deals on the website. Beware however, as these "promotional airfares" are often not eligible for air deviation.

You just have to be vigilant. I checked prices every day or two for a month to get our lower fare. But for me it was worth it to save $1,200.

Just wondering where you look to see if the prices are changing? I keep looking under the cruise line's web site and never seem to see any difference.

Thanks

Kathy

X web site is where I look. You can also call them. You have to be dilligent because THEY WILL NOT CONTACT YOU if the price is lowered. Sadly, you can't count on a lower price, but keep checking...you never know! Good luck!:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

No hammering away necessary here. I'm actually relieved it won't happen now that I got my heart set on the CS. There are only two categories they could put me in anyway, an RS (currently priced 1800 p.p. more) and the penthouse (I didn't even look at the price; I'm sure it's way out of my range).

I booked online directly with Celebrity and it didn't ask me anywhere if I'd be open to an upgrade like HAL always did, so I was mainly just curious.

No hammering away necessary here. I'm actually relieved it won't happen now that I got my heart set on the CS. There are only two categories they could put me in anyway, an RS (currently priced 1800 p.p. more) and the penthouse (I didn't even look at the price; I'm sure it's way out of my range).

I booked online directly with Celebrity and it didn't ask me anywhere if I'd be open to an upgrade like HAL always did, so I was mainly just curious.

Keep looking at prices. On our transatlantic last November on the Millennium, we had a CS also. The Royal Suites were about 2200 pp more. After the final payment date three Royal Suites became available. Celebrity dropped the price on the Royal Suites a thousand dollars pp. A week or so later, I was checking prices and discovered an unannounced one-day sale on the Royal Suites. Celebrity dropped the price another 900 pp which brought the cost to upgrade down to 300 pp. We upgraded immediately.

Keep looking at prices. On our transatlantic last November on the Millennium, we had a CS also. The Royal Suites were about 2200 pp more. After the final payment date three Royal Suites became available. Celebrity dropped the price on the Royal Suites a thousand dollars pp. A week or so later, I was checking prices and discovered an unannounced one-day sale on the Royal Suites. Celebrity dropped the price another 900 pp which brought the cost to upgrade down to 300 pp. We upgraded immediately.

That's amazing! I certainly hope you booked it. But I'm looking forward to the CS. How did you like the CS compared to the RS? Any notable difference besides the obvious like the CS not having a verandah?

That's amazing! I certainly hope you booked it. But I'm looking forward to the CS. How did you like the CS compared to the RS? Any notable difference besides the obvious like the CS not having a verandah?

If you read Dave's post carefully, I believe he said he took the upgrade to the RS (which would lead me to believe he did not stay in the CS).

If you read Dave's post carefully, I believe he said he took the upgrade to the RS (which would lead me to believe he did not stay in the CS).

Correct, Roxanne. We didn't stay in the CS, although we saw one of our table mate's CS and we would have been very happy in it.

Archived